Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,558 Posts
I guess if you have lots of money to throw at it why not?

I have a Pugsley and love it for our desert riding. Nothing special about the build. Heavy thornproof tubes, suspension seatpost, comfortable seat, bars and ergon grips. Is a few pounds really going to make you that much faster? I doubt it. You are still going to be dealing with heavier wheels and tires which will pretty much negate the effect of saving weight on the frame, fork and components.

Aren't weight weenie and pugsley's kind of a contradiction in terms?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Yep, you can do: my pugs is 28.5#

Large frame in rare purple color, - old school 80mm Remo rims - second or third hand, built by the snow bike guru ( www.lacemine29.com ) on Hope II hubs - 36spoke - both are rear hubs. Pugs fork turns out to be actually pretty light - and it comes with the frame. Endo's of course - and WTB tubes. Time ATAC pedals

Phil BB (steel - but lusting afta the new Ti ), second hand X.O. rear der, Avid BB brakes front and rear Sram half pipe shifter (like them for the "glove grip") - chain ring has bash guard to keep my snow pants from getting torn up. Seat post is aluminum, bar is carbon fiber. Weighed before racks, frame bags, etc..

Love my Pugs!- loan it out and all who ride it have a big smile on there face when they get back.

Sorry, some recycled photos here..but for those that are new to this it may help with the visualiztion.
 

Attachments

Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Mesotony said:
Large frame in rare purple color, - old school 80mm Remo rims - second or third hand, built by the snow bike guru ( www.lacemine29.com ) on Hope II hubs - 36spoke - both are rear hubs. Pugs fork turns out to be actually pretty light - and it comes with the frame. Endo's of course - and WTB tubes. Time ATAC pedals

Phil BB (steel - but lusting afta the new Ti ), second hand X.O. rear der, Avid BB brakes front and rear Sram half pipe shifter (like them for the "glove grip") - chain ring has bash guard to keep my snow pants from getting torn up. Seat post is aluminum, bar is carbon fiber. Weighed before racks, frame bags, etc..

Love my Pugs!- loan it out and all who ride it have a big smile on there face when they get back.

Sorry, some recycled photos here..but for those that are new to this it may help with the visualiztion.
what WTB tube?
whoa...
that pic of the digital scale at 1.46 kg(?)... is that the rear wheel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
tubes - WTB 2.5 I think, yep all the snow bikers "in the know" run 'em - to quote another mtbr poster "those surley pugs tubes are for motorcycles" ...( but I digress - there are accounts from a certain -60F trip that MikeC and PatIrwin took where the Surley tubes might have provided some comfort) - and yes that is the rear wheel, and er, the front wheel on this build... then there is the silicone and nylon to keep the water (overflow) out of the rim from all those Quarter sized holes... you'll notice that Curiak's latest adventure, he had 100 mm rims, no holes-

yep - 1460 gs.. but when you have these flywheels moving - watch out!
 
Joined
·
3,617 Posts
Mesotony said:
tubes - WTB 2.5 I think, yep all the snow bikers "in the know" run 'em - to quote another mtbr poster "those surley pugs tubes are for motorcycles" ...( but I digress - there are accounts from a certain -60F trip that MikeC and PatIrwin took where the Surley tubes might have provided some comfort) - and yes that is the rear wheel, and er, the front wheel on this build... then there is the silicone and nylon to keep the water (overflow) out of the rim from all those Quarter sized holes... you'll notice that Curiak's latest adventure, he had 100 mm rims, no holes-

yep - 1460 gs.. but when you have these flywheels moving - watch out!
ya wow, huh!?
thats amazing
i've got a set of the old style DH 36h LM's, with surly tubes, etc...
i haven't the slightest clue what they weigh in at. not 1.4kg thats for sure!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
248 Posts
Drilled Umas? (uma - oprah, oprah - uma) Reccommed that you pose the rim-strip question to Speedway (Thirstywork) - I've seen them doing a few variations that are way more sexy (and light) than my nylon fabric with black rtv... they will have just the thing for your application.
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
Remember Mongoose rims?

Mesotony said:
Drilled Umas? (uma - oprah, oprah - uma) Reccommed that you pose the rim-strip question to Speedway (Thirstywork) - I've seen them doing a few variations that are way more sexy (and light) than my nylon fabric with black rtv... they will have just the thing for your application.
I had some of those in the 80s on my BMXer, and my sister had a Mongoose mountain bike with mongoose drilled rims. They basically looked like Arayas. They used a mylar rim strip. Seemed to work pretty well.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top