Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I’ve worn out several, as has a good friend and my most frequent riding partner.
I live in the desert SW (Phoenix) and ride all over AZ.
Mounted to i43 rims
I weigh 155 lbs

In a nutshell:
Great traction
Roll great
True to size- all measured near or at 3.0
A little heavier and IME tougher than an XR2
Wear quickly compared to most plus tires
Several of mine had casing wobbles that caused me some headaches with fit in a tight clearance frame.

I liked them enough to run like 6 of them- 4 rear and 2 fronts over the past few years.

That said- the casing wobble and below average miles-per-tire caused me to quit using them. I’ve moved on to the XR4 up front and currently have a Cannoli on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've worn out several, as has a good friend and my most frequent riding partner.
I live in the desert SW (Phoenix) and ride all over AZ.
Mounted to i43 rims
I weigh 155 lbs

In a nutshell:
Great traction
Roll great
True to size- all measured near or at 3.0
A little heavier and IME tougher than an XR2
Wear quickly compared to most plus tires
Several of mine had casing wobbles that caused me some headaches with fit in a tight clearance frame.

I liked them enough to run like 6 of them- 4 rear and 2 fronts over the past few years.

That said- the casing wobble and below average miles-per-tire caused me to quit using them. I've moved on to the XR4 up front and currently have a Cannoli on the back.

Thanks for all the details.
And you are happy with your new combo?

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I suppose I’m happy for now.
There is no Goldilocks tire. I’ll probably never be satisfied to the point that I’ll (like some folks do) buy a stack of one tire and never look back.

I know guys that haven’t mounted anything but a Maxxis Ardent 2.35 as long as I’ve known them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've put about 3-400 miles on two 29er bombolonis over the past couple years. I've always run it as a front tire, but really it's a better rear tread. Never had issues until a couple weeks ago when I washed out the front hard coming around a bermed corner. Conditions were dry and a little loose that day. Was it the tires fault? Not really, but I do think something with taller side lugs might have bailed me out. I've lost confidence in the tire as a front, and am getting ready to put on a 2.8 Cake Eater.

The tires have been tough as nails though, never had any issue mounting and setting up tubeless, never saw the casing wobble some people have experienced. I'd run it again as a rear.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have run two over the past few years, and currently have my last one on the back of my Krampus. Grip is good for such fast rolling tire, and the measured weight (~990 grams) isn't too bad. Tubeless setup was trouble free, and they measured around 2.9" on 40mm inner width rims.

Now the bad...both mine had/have borderline unacceptable casing wobble. I also killed one super easy with two punctures in the tread area in terrain that didn't seem to bother the other Bomboloni I was running. Hopefully, the new Bonty XR2 I have sitting in my parts bin will give similar amounts of grip and durability without the annoying casing wobble.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
I have run two over the past few years, and currently have my last one on the back of my Krampus. Grip is good for such fast rolling tire, and the measured weight (~990 grams) isn't too bad. Tubeless setup was trouble free, and they measured around 2.9" on 40mm inner width rims.

Now the bad...both mine had/have borderline unacceptable casing wobble. I also killed one super easy with two punctures in the tread area in terrain that didn't seem to bother the other Bomboloni I was running. Hopefully, the new Bonty XR2 I have sitting in my parts bin will give similar of grip and durability without the annoying casing wobble.
Every Bombo I've used has had some wobble. One was so bad It was unusable in the rear, and even whispered by the fork leg of a RS Reba. I actually emailed Vittoria with pics, and to their credit, mailed me a new one no questions asked.

The XR2 (Formerly Chupacabra) has always been dead straight, a little bigger volume, a little lighter, and wears longer for basically no significant difference in traction or rolling resistance. Sadly, I've killed every XR2 I've owned by sidewall rips. I've punched holes in the tread of every one as well, but I've successfully patched those from the inside. Usually one or two patches before I rip a sidewall or it just goes bald.

I'm not easy on tires, and prefer to use more robust tires in the 1100g range like the XR4, DHF and Cannoli.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I will pass on wobble, this terrible at those prices in my opinion. I am good for a few months no problem with my Maxxis but i might try Bontrager or stay with Maxxis.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Every Bombo I've used has had some wobble. One was so bad It was unusable in the rear, and even whispered by the fork leg of a RS Reba. I actually emailed Vittoria with pics, and to their credit, mailed me a new one no questions asked.

The XR2 (Formerly Chupacabra) has always been dead straight, a little bigger volume, a little lighter, and wears longer for basically no significant difference in traction or rolling resistance. Sadly, I've killed every XR2 I've owned by sidewall rips. I've punched holes in the tread of every one as well, but I've successfully patched those from the inside. Usually one or two patches before I rip a sidewall or it just goes bald.

I'm not easy on tires, and prefer to use more robust tires in the 1100g range like the XR4, DHF and Cannoli.

It is a tragedy, as I would recommend them in a heart beat if one didn't play the wobble lottery whenever you order them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
no wobble problem with the bombolonis here.

great tire in dry rocky terrain, robust. rolls great. extreme grip on fine gravel.

not good on wet roots, useless in snow and ice because of too stiff rubber compound lacking adhesive grip.

easy to setup tubeless, in fact they were so airtight, first seasons i didnt even use stans.

·
Registered
505 Posts
It's an old thread, I know. Price of this tire is much lower than the WTB Ranger that I usually use, so I bought a pair. First time I mounted, it was wobbly. But I realized the bead was not fully seated. Filled up to the maximum pressure and it seated fine, and wobbliness was gone. Hope it does not develop again.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 29x3 Bomba on the back of her Bombtrack. Seems fine to me. At 1040grams, it’s a little porky for our purpose (slow speeds bikepacking) but I gather it’s a little longer lasting than the XR2 or Ranger Light (yet to find out). Similar tread pattern/height and thus grip performance to those 900gram tyres. That said, I’m SO happy with the XR2s I probably will revert her to those when the time comes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.