Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Knolliac
417 Posts
Well...What kind of riding are you doing? Is it air or coil? I recently built up a hard tail for the wife and decided to go with a 318 Tora Coil-Turn (2008, white) and it has proven to be a big bang for your buck decision. Very nice damping (Motion Control) and the stock spring is spot on for her weight. Only complaint is the weight but that is expected at this price point. The 302 utilizes a different, lesser damping system. IMO the 318 it is one of the best entry level forks going.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tora 289

I believe the '07 Warrior 5.0 was spec'd with a Tora 289, which is the low end of the Tora line. Like others have said, the higher end Tora's have a great damping system and are a great value. That said, the 289 is a heck of a lot better than some other fork offerings on bikes in the same price range as the Warrior.

Now, tell us why you're asking about the fork. You say you've bought the bike last year, and now a year later, after you've ridden the bike, you obviously have some opinion of the fork. Help us to better understand why you're asking about the fork, and we can give you better answers. :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm putting a Tora 318 SE on my '06 Marin Muirwoods. I was debating between the Marz MX Pro Lo or this Tora and decided to go with the Tora because its a full air shock and the Marz is a coil with air assist. I hope I made the right decision. Any feedback on my choice would be appreciated as my new bike won't be ready till Tuesday. I decided to keep my Marin b/c I love the solid chromoly frame. I don't need a full suspension where I ride. Muirwoods can take a beating.

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
I ride a Tora 318 coil w/black spring.

I have nothing to complain about - adjustable travel from 80mm-120mm or so, rebound adjustment, lockout, it's plush and still takes the beating I give it without fuss.

I'd say its about the best fork you can get if you don't have the coin to spend more than around 300, which is still a lot of money.

Around here (Canada) the Tora is equipped on some fairly expensive bikes, in the 2000 dollar range, so they have to be somewhat decent.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
with the xfirm spring in, its not the plushest thing around (im 200lbs too),but it takes a huge beating. ive never felt the fork flex at all, motion control is great, and the rebound works well. kinda wish i got the air version now, for adjustability and weight.

the stock coil spring is useless.. good for someone whos 140-160lbs probably. i was bottoming it out over sidewalks.

·
Registered
118 Posts
im running an 07 302 coil and have been pretty happy with it. got a good deal on it a few months ago and have only a handful of rides on it.

I replaced an 04 psylo with this tora. ive noticed that its much stiffer than the psylo, weighs less and with the right weight spring in it, rides much better than the psylo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I took my Tora 318 SE (red) for its first test ride and it performed superb. The only thing I noticed was a air (tssss) sound everytime it absorbed a shock. Is this normal? It seemed to hold up just fine and didn't feel like it was losing pressure at all. I assume its the air inside moving through the chambers but I wanna make sure. Any thought?

·
Slick Rick
565 Posts
wanicker said:
Well I took my Tora 318 SE (red) for its first test ride and it performed superb. The only thing I noticed was a air (tssss) sound everytime it absorbed a shock. Is this normal? It seemed to hold up just fine and didn't feel like it was losing pressure at all. I assume its the air inside moving through the chambers but I wanna make sure. Any thought?
I was not aware there is a red version.

Yes, the sound is normal, play with the rebound settings on the bottom of the fork, depending on the setting, the sound is less prevalent.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
09 Tora 302

I bought the above mentioned fork for my hardtail. I got a Kone Coiler frame and mounted it on there temporarily until i got something beefier for the all mountain/freeride bike.
WEll it is staying on the Kona. I am 250 pounds, ride this thing like a madman and it has not failed or flailed once.. the stock spring is somewhat soft but I never bottomed it out, and I am putting the heavier spring in it.
I live in BC and trails here are rough...very rough... the fork can handle it with ease. On the Rock Shox site, the TORA is categorized under "trail"...it definetely is miscategorized...it needs to be in the AM category

·
Registered
488 Posts
Will a motion control unit work on a Tora 302 SL coil? It came stock on my FSR and it's solid (and heavy) but performs well. The dampening doesn't seem to do too much....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.