Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some info. I am considering taking a job in the Cedar Falls area. I would have to move from upstate NY. I am wondering what the riding is like in that part of Iowa. Would the riding be close? Would it be good? Is there alot of it? Any info would be much appreciated..

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's a little riding around Cedar Falls - George Wyth, Hartman Reserve and Ulrich Park are all ridable from in town. An hour of driving (give or take) will get you to Sugar Bottom, Decorah and FDR Park. There are others, but these are the hightlights in my experience. Iowa is not a Mecca of Mtb. Biking, but there's a good amount of fun stuff, and if you combine road riding with it, there's lots of opportunities to ride with good people. Good luck.

See trail reviews:
http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-states-trails/trails-iowa/PLS_4547crx.aspx

·
mtbr member
702 Posts
I would say the mtb/ cycling community is very alive and well in the cedar valley(cedar falls) First off, the town rocks having grown up there. But the best is the people/ riders.
Zero snobbery:thumbsup: You could have someone to ride with every day of the week no problem. Camp Ingawanis is a great venue and getting better all the time. Great bike shops also:)

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Camp Ingawanis Pics

Here's a couple shots that would upload. I couldn't get any of my verticaly oriented ones to load. Anyway..........

Ingawanis is one of the better mtb venues in the area, and has been stated, is very close to Cedar Falls. In fact, I ride out there, do a loop, and ride back once in awhile from Waterloo.

Decorah has some of the most challenging singletrack anywhere and is about an hour and a half away from me here in W'loo. If you have the time, you should check out the Big Wheeled Ballyhoo up there at the end of June. Lot's of mtb'ers will be there to share the fun with!

Sugar Bottom has traditionally been one of the premier spots in Iowa, but it's future is tenuous. Better ride there while you can!

As has also been stated, the in town options are available. I would also add the Green Belt in Waterloo as another in town option. All are pretty flat, twisty, and fast, fast, fast trails, with the exception of Ullrich, which is almost trialsy in comparison with alot of ravine up an down stuff.

If you stop in town for a visit, or end up here, come and say "hello" at Europa Cycle and Ski, where I work. They all know my "handle" here, so just ask for G-Ted! :D

Attachments

·
Not really that big!
368 Posts
What's the story...

"Sugar Bottom has traditionally been one of the premier spots in Iowa, but it's future is tenuous. Better ride there while you can! "

What is the low-down on the future fo Sugarbottom??? I thought things were gong well over there. Then no '06 Sugarbottom Scramble... Is there land issues or maintenance issues or what?:eekster:

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Big29 said:
"Sugar Bottom has traditionally been one of the premier spots in Iowa, but it's future is tenuous. Better ride there while you can! "

What is the low-down on the future fo Sugarbottom??? I thought things were gong well over there. Then no '06 Sugarbottom Scramble... Is there land issues or maintenance issues or what?:eekster:
I'm not saying this is "gospel", but it comes from a very reliable source. It would seem that there is an ongoing problem with maintenance and patrol. The area is under the oversight of the Army Corp of Engineers. You will not find mountain biking on Army Corp land anywhere else but at Sugar Bottom, they just don't do stuff like this, normally. So, the maintenance and riding protocol has to be up to the Corps standards or the land will be taken away from us as a place to ride.

I'm not going to point any fingers, just saying that there is a problem, the Army Corps of Engineers is not pleased, and if something isn't corrected, the fun riding at Sugar Bottom will soon be history.

If anyone has anything further to add, you'd be best to contact ICORR, the Iowa City mtb association that is responsible for taking care of Sugar Bottom issues and relating to the Army Corps of Engineers.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Thumbs up!

Cedar Falls and Waterloo will treat you right with the riding. There is single track within the city limits, and with in 30 minutes of pedaling (Camp Ingawanis south of Waverly). Not to mention, you can drive to Decorah, Iowa City, or Boone to get in some more.

Racing is a live and well in the State with a multiple race Series, and a annual 24 hour race. Primo riding is also not far away in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Iowa is NOT a cycling mecca, but we have bike culture and very, very easy access to family trail riding, road riding, and singletrack.

I dig it, and don't plan on going any place soon.

By the way, if you come to Iowa, gravel riding will be a little slice of heaven.
Heaven....
Heaven....
Heaven....

Here are some pics from the XC race just north of town....

Here are a few videos from the local riding scene....

If you come to town, stop by Europa Cycle and Ski and ask for Mark, Carl, or myself!!!!

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
Oh sure Bidwell, put in the picture of me just standing there supervising. :lol:

·
Hup, Hup
536 Posts
mtbidwell said:
:D :thumbsup: Somebodys gotta supervise to make sure no-one breaks a digit or something ;) Not to mention you had alot on your mind that day, Dad.
very true:thumbsup: :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
G-Ted spreads some rumors.

Guitar Ted said:
I'm not saying this is "gospel", but it comes from a very reliable source. It would seem that there is an ongoing problem with maintenance and patrol. The area is under the oversight of the Army Corp of Engineers. You will not find mountain biking on Army Corp land anywhere else but at Sugar Bottom, they just don't do stuff like this, normally. So, the maintenance and riding protocol has to be up to the Corps standards or the land will be taken away from us as a place to ride.

I'm not going to point any fingers, just saying that there is a problem, the Army Corps of Engineers is not pleased, and if something isn't corrected, the fun riding at Sugar Bottom will soon be history.

If anyone has anything further to add, you'd be best to contact ICORR, the Iowa City mtb association that is responsible for taking care of Sugar Bottom issues and relating to the Army Corps of Engineers.
Good job, Ted!
Way to start spreading those rumors!
:nono:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
intel_disk said:
...spreading those rumors!
I am not going to say that what G-Ted is true or not, but I drove down to SB last summer before the SB Scramble XC race got cancelled. The trails were dry. The website said the trails were open. As did the sign leading into the recreation area. Once I got into the parking lot and started to unload....the park ranger drove up and said the trails were closed until further notice. The Ranger did not give an explanation :confused: . So, I got back in the car and drove back to CF. From that day till now, the website has said the trails are closed:confused: . So, I'll wait and see what develops in the future. Every time someone ask about SB I always give high praises...and then mention the trails are closed :confused:. This is a situation, where not many people know what is going on. Looks like time will only tell.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have not heard about Sugar Bottom closing permanently. As far as I know the trails have been properly cared for and closures have only been due to rain/wet conditions or shotgun season. I usually ride out there 2+ times a week. The trails are groomed for a smooth ride and are crazy fast until they get too dry and dusty.
If you ever plan on riding Sugar I would CALL the hotline number (319) 626-1160 as this is updated with much greater frequency than the website. Sometimes it takes a few days after a hard rain to dry things out and reopen the trail system.
BTW, there is a ton of great road and gravel riding in Iowa as well.

·
resident crackpot
483 Posts
Like the other folks have said here, Iowa is NO mecca. However, there are lots of fun, and close, opportunities from Waterloo/CedarFalls. Some of the stuff is really flat and FAST (Like G-Ted sed), some is twisty and flat, some rates right up there with trails on a national level, or so I hear (Ingawanis and Decorah trails). I've only ridden Iowa trails. That reminds me...I have to get up to Madison and visit/ride with Vinny!

·
Registered
6 Posts
KERKOVEJ said:
From that day till now, the website has said the trails are closed
That is incorrect. There have been many times since last Summer's non-existent Scramble that the website has indicated the trails to be open. There have been plenty times that the signs at SB have indicated the trails were open. There have also been quite a few times that I have legally ridden the trails at Sugar since you drove there from Cedar Falls.

So Kerkove and Ted are both on the same rumor wagon. :nono: :nono:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.