Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unreal how many different versions they have. How does the regular folding bead work tubeless vs. their TL bead? I am thinking of trying the 2.35 version.

Isn't this the favored tire of Team Dicky??

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Bike shop guy the other day tried to sell me regular Maxxis to run tubeless. He said they work fine. So, why offer the TR version? I didn't trust him so I bought tubeless ready Schwalbes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Funny you ask, I just swapped my Ikons over to tubeless this morning. I set these up late last season with tubes since I knew I wouldn't get many miles on them before winter hit.

I had to use an air compressor with the valve core removed from the Enve stems to get them to seat. Once these were seated on the bead (Enve AM rims), they stayed on the bead after letting all of the air out of the tire. I put the sealant in through the valve stem body, installed the core, then aired them up with a pump.

I don't think they would seat with a floor pump, and even a CO2 might be questionable. I haven't ridden them yet, but they are holding air just fine and aren't oozing sealant.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i have had many sets of Maxxis Ikon, non tubeless version, that I have set up tubeless. I have never had issues w/ Stan's Crest and Light Bicycle carbon rims. I do use a compressor because I have one. I have also used non tubeless Ardents also with no problems.

·
Attack Position
151 Posts
I was able to get my non-tubeless Icon 2.35s seated on Stan's bead (Sun-Ringles) with a floor pump, but it wasn't easy. killed by floor pump in the process.

·
Banned
266 Posts
Only problem I have had with Maxxis none tubeless tires is the sidewalls wear out before the tread does. I've noticed once the tires start to wear. If you have many water crossings. The sidewalls will weep a little sealent and a little air pressure is lost.

Can't really fault that seeing the tire was designed for a tube.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I never had a problem setting up the normal bead tyres from Maxxis, just some weeped more from the sidewalls than others, but with the intro of the TL bead, I see no reason not to use them as they're a lot easier and better to set up and less chance or burping or blowing off the rim. As to setting them up, I have only used Stans rims and with any of them only a normal track/floor pump and NEVER an issue, actually the TL casings went up so easy there was no special, fast pumping to get them to start like I sometimes had to do with the older non TL beads.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have only had regular folding bead as well on Ikon 2.2s, Ardent 2.25, and Ignitor 2.1, have mounted on Stans Flow, Stans Arch EX, and now just recently I9 Trail Rims, no Issues. I use air compressor. As far as Side wall Weeping best comparison i have is probably Ikon 2.2 Exo to Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.2 Snakeskin TL, the RR weeps way more than the Ikon. I have only 2x had to put air in the tire while riding once in a Ikon, one in schwalbe Nobby Nic (not the TL version). Both resealed them selves pretty easily just needed a little more air as a cautionary measure.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So one thing wierd I just notices is in the 29x2.35 Ikon is listed at a lower weight, with 3C/EXO/TR than just 3X/EXO. 20g lower.

In 29x2.2 going from 3X/EXO to 3C/EXO/TR adds 55g.

Not a Wieght Weenie and realize prduction wieght varies but this would matter to me if I was in the market for a new Ikon right now. If I wanted 2.2s I would want the the TR, if I was getting the 2.35 why wouldnt you buy that.

Don't have time right now but guess will have to email Maxxis.

Ikon | Maxxis USA

·
Registered
604 Posts
So one thing wierd I just notices is in the 29x2.35 Ikon is listed at a lower weight, with 3C/EXO/TR than just 3X/EXO. 20g lower.

In 29x2.2 going from 3X/EXO to 3C/EXO/TR adds 55g.

Not a Wieght Weenie and realize prduction wieght varies but this would matter to me if I was in the market for a new Ikon right now. If I wanted 2.2s I would want the the TR, if I was getting the 2.35 why wouldnt you buy that.

Don't have time right now but guess will have to email Maxxis.

Ikon | Maxxis USA
I bought a 2.35 Ikon a few months ago, before Maxxis updated their website when the weight listed for the 3C, EXO, non-TL version was 700g. I weighed it when I received it and it came in at that weight. I was specifically looking for a faster rolling AND lighter tire than the 760g MKII I have, so there's no way I would have bought the Ikon if the stated weight was the same, and there's no way I would not have remembered if it came in 60g over the stated weight. Not sure if they started making them heavier since then.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to give the non TR version a try when my Fast Trak tires wear out. There are some good deals on non TR Ikons right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts