Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From 2018 to 2019, Scott changed the fork on Genius 900 Tuned from 36 Fox to 34 e-Fox model. Apparently, the stanchion are beefier in this e-bike model. Now, they went back to 36 again in the 2020 model. I guess they were making room in the 2019 market for the new Ransom to gain traction.

I am considering a good deal on a 2019 Genius 900 Tuned model, but I am a bit worried about the fork. 150mm seems a bit too much to keep a 34 fork rigid enough. If I will have to switch it to 36, then it is no longer a good deal.

I did some search but couldn't find any useful reviews on how these 34s perform. From online pics, it looks like quite a few people have replaced these with a 36 version.

Can anyone share firsthand experience with how the stock 34 e-Fox fork performs on Genius 900?

·
Registered
82 Posts
In short, no good. I found that it got overwhelmed with continuos hits, like riding through rock gardens etc. I could never get it setup properly, it flexed a fair bit when ridden hard, but I'm 110kg so might just be a big guy problem.
I didn't realise how bad it actually was until I replaced it with a Lyrick.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From 2018 to 2019, Scott changed the fork on Genius 900 Tuned from 36 Fox to 34 e-Fox model. Apparently, the stanchion are beefier in this e-bike model. Now, they went back to 36 again in the 2020 model. I guess they were making room in the 2019 market for the new Ransom to gain traction.

I am considering a good deal on a 2019 Genius 900 Tuned model, but I am a bit worried about the fork. 150mm seems a bit too much to keep a 34 fork rigid enough. If I will have to switch it to 36, then it is no longer a good deal.

I did some search but couldn't find any useful reviews on how these 34s perform. From online pics, it looks like quite a few people have replaced these with a 36 version.

Can anyone share firsthand experience with how the stock 34 e-Fox fork performs on Genius 900?
34 130mm on my trek Fex and now 36 160 on my remedy. If I can recommend, Go for 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fraid of heights
1,862 Posts
I demoed a 940 last year and even at ~250lb I never felt the E fork chassis was holding me back? Now I didn't hit any DH trails, just general riding, and I'm just a hack. But I did ride the **** out of it and spent and afternoon jumping off of 2+ foot retaining walls at some FS picnic grounds?

I question how much peoples confirmation bias comes into play here? The sticker says 34 and everybody jumps to it not being good enough? I'd say it depends on what your looking for?

I remember a thread last year close to my demo where people were talking about how bad the fork was for the bike.

Anyway, I thought it was a great bike for the price. I was blown away at how good low end bikes had become. Sure it's more "all mountain" than "enduro" and the fork choice is part of that. So it depends on what your looking for. At the least I'd say you wouldn't "need" to replace it right away?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Maybe at 80kg, forks might hold up OK for me.

I really want to get this bike, but as the previous poster also indicated, several people report on the fork getting overwhelmed rather quickly in long downhills. I am hesitating because the specs are giving a bit "bipolar" signals: 65º head angle, 150mm travel, and burly aluminium(?) tires on one hand, XC-like weight and 34mm fork on the other. I wish I could test ride one to see the limits of the fork, but I can only try one around a parking lot.

·
bike rider
5,506 Posts

I have a regular 34 set to 160mm on my 5010v1. It's not as stiff as my 36 but stiff enough to not notice it on a trail bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts