Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
No known cure
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove off with one pair I left sitting on my Jeeps wheel and my dog ate one of the gloves from another pair. Today I rode without gloves for the first time in 35 years, since I was 14 and became a serious mountain biker.

Even as I was pedaling away from the trailhead, my hands were sweaty and slipping off the grips. The grips on this particular bike are new also. Lizard Skins Peatys.

I don't think I can ride until I get new gloves this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I rode last weekend in the Asheville area without gloves since mine were soaked with sweat and getting caught in a rain shower the day before. I had zero problem with my Sensus grips. I also ride BMX with no gloves.

I usually ride MTB with gloves though but having tried it out I would certainly ride with no gloves if I forgot them.

·
Not a role model
1,312 Posts
I usually ride with for-MTB armored gloves with leather-like palms (Leatt Airflex), but rode with a pair of "PPE"-issue level gloves out and was scared when I descended a steep fireroad with a lot of loose stones and deep ruts. I did not want to crash, coming back up with evidence of sliding on my arms, and that affected my riding. The fireroad is on the other side of the hill by my house.

I watched some old POV videos of my riding from many years ago, and it was shameful how I was just now compared to how more confident I was back then on such stuff, properly equipped. I usually am more daring than that I know, but didn't expect to be that bad.

I did some normal rides with those PPE gloves before, but I guess something this technical tested my confidence, and my gear boosted it more than I admit.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I don't understand how/why people do it either. My hands sweat like crazy while climbing, and no grip I've ever tried stays, well, grippy, after that.

Also, think about all that you do with your hands. If you use them to stop in a crash, you'll wish you'd been wearing gloves.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I actually prefer to ride without gloves (even though I don't mostly). Maybe I'm just weird but my hands air out better if I don't have gloves and they don't get sweaty without them.

Usually if it's hot and I'm on a trail where I'm going to be doing a lot of easy boring climbing before we get to any fun stuff I will climb with my gloves off and then stop at the top of the trail and put them on before I start descending.

I use Ergon GA2 Grips and the Rubber feels pretty good on bare hands.

·
the beat goes on
284 Posts
i forgot my helmet a few weeks ago and after much deliberation i went ahead and rode anyway. felt naked and went even slower than i normally do. it just wasn't right.

BUT i wouldn't even consider riding bare-handed.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
44,353 Posts
I’ve wore gloves since day one. That’s 20 some years ago, but get this, I only wear half finger gloves, unless its winter. Kinda weird coming from a MX background wearing full fingered for years. My half fingered have to be Pearl Izumi gel lites. They have gel pockets in the palm area. But yeah I have to wear gloves as well.

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
I have all my old gloves and 2 extra pairs of shoes in my vehicle at all times. I forgot my riding shorts & chamois for an after work ride last summer. That's when I converted my work pants into work shorts with a box cutter.

·
No known cure
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't ride without a helmet. A couple weeks ago I forgot my socks. That was horrible.

I've also forgot shoes, a thru axle and a post and seat. Those we're all found out at races and the GF had to save my ass and drive over.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,339 Posts
I rode last weekend in the Asheville area without gloves since mine were soaked with sweat and getting caught in a rain shower the day before. I had zero problem with my Sensus grips. I also ride BMX with no gloves.

I usually ride MTB with gloves though but having tried it out I would certainly ride with no gloves if I forgot them.
I've done that before, and have ridden, and the sweat running down my arms and onto my hands made controlling the bike a bit sketchy. Had to dial back a decent bit on the fast, chunky sections of trail.

Even sweaty gloves grip better than no gloves, and I always have multiple pairs available to I can rotate them and ensure I have dry ones.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've been riding for decades without gloves. The grips do tend to be more slippery when sweaty without gloves. I have a pair of gloves that I have be wearing most of the summer. I'll be ditching them as soon as the weather get cold enough for moose mits, then I'll go glove-less until I need insulation under the mitts.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
Gloves are another layer of protection.

I can count on two hands the number of times gloves have saved me from cuts & grazes.

But, if I'm just out for a quiet spin with the Mrs or kids, I won't wear em.

Honestly, if it weren't for the protection, warmth factors - I'd probably ride w/o gloves on.

Sent from my Nokia X6

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first ride ever, my knuckles took a beating on a tree gate, and I bought gloves on the way home. I have forgotten my gloves one other time, so I wore some work gloves I found in my toolbox rather than no gloves. I took a fall on loose gravel today, and my palms were super glad I had gloves on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,179 Posts
I LOVE riding gloveless (the very odd time that I do). Chromag Basis grips.

When I am riding in new areas, I sometimes have my phone in my pocket and am reaching for it frequently to check Trail Forks.

That said, I almost never ride gloveless because I have literally shredded a half dozen pairs of gloves from falls. My hands would be destroyed by now had I not been wearing gloves. It's a necessary evil for me.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.