Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,869 Posts
you can tap that back into shape with vice grips and hammer but it's best to use new ones.

or match one at hardware store...problem is thickness doing it this way

yeah it is sorta needed

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've bent small snap-rings / c-rings back into shape before but it's best to replace it. A hammer is not the right tool. I put it in a vise and used a small pair of pliers to gently bend the portion that is deformed back into shape.

Probably not a stock item at a bike shop but you may get lucky. Could also try hardware store.

As a last resort, you could try wrapping machinist wire around the groove where C-clip goes then twist ends together tightly with pliers. May get you out on the trail instead of waiting for a replacement.

It's there for a reason to hold things together.

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
Probably "retaining ring" or "circlip"

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,869 Posts
Probably "retaining ring" or "circlip"
yup, in the section with all the nuts and bolts should be ~3 drawers of clips to poke through. try to match thickness if that is an option

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Meah, I've run RDs without the clip, it's there as a safety backup in case you don't torque the bolt down properly, so torque the bolt down properly and you don't have to worry :skep:

·
Kick Start My Heart
624 Posts
OP Randum, you are tough on gear!
The clip is a back up in case the bolt should go loose. If you can reform it with pliers, hammer, rock, paper, scissors, whatever, and it clips on, that's cool.
Home Depot, Lowe's, all good but man, True Value has an awesome selection of hardware.
Cheers!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Kick Start My Heart
624 Posts
As long as it clips in, it's good.
It's a backup against the bolt backing out, so the surface area of the flat surface takes the tension in bolt release mode. As long as it stays in, move to other worries, like mastering Manuals.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.