Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a long back for my 5'10" frame, so bike shop recommend a large (been fitted by a Specialized fitter). Always ridden a medium, but now looking at getting a large frame that has a 31" stand over... bit worried about how it's going to feel.

I know you don't get in nut crunching situations every day, but was wondering whether it really makes that much difference.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
test ride...

...probably the best thing to do, try both sizes & see which one you like better. find out which size better suits your riding style/needs. i'm in the same boat @ 5'10" long torso. for mountain bikes, i like the medium sizes, i go up a little for road bikes. i was recently riding a large chameleon in which i sized up. ran a short stem, it was stable on the steep stuff, but i just couldn't flick it around in the tighter stuff like i wanted. i was always wondering what a medium would feel like.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is that the frame that I'm looking at rides really well. It's a Rune (I've just had the medium stolen!) and the rear works so well. Thinking of going for the large as I want to keep that DW style linkage. Can't ride a large as they're frame only.

Is stand over really that important?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not just stick with a med frame and put longer stem on? I think the toptube length is more important than standover. I have a 33" inseam, and I have about an 1.5"-2" of clearance on my 19" RM frame. The frame is a bit large for me, but it feels awesome with a 70mm stem instead of the 100mm stem it came with. Made a huge difference.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Won't put a longer stem on (already running 75mm) as don't want to compromise handling.
Just don't recall many situations where stand over was a real issue... maybe that's because it's always been low enough!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bug74 said:
Won't put a longer stem on (already running 75mm) as don't want to compromise handling.
Just don't recall many situations where stand over was a real issue... maybe that's because it's always been low enough!
What's your inseam? Last thing you want is to stand on the balls of your feet while the top tube is in your junk.

·
I'm just messing with you
5,423 Posts
I've got two good friends that say it's pretty important

·
Two Tired
396 Posts
Overrated

Standover is really overrated. A tall frame encourages you to avoid dabbing and ride the trail without stopping. This builds both your skills and endurance. With this in mind, you might consider and XL Rune. You'll be reaching higher levels in no time!

·
2,548 Posts
MTBJong said:
Depeneds on the trail. I would say its pretty important on side hills and slow speed techncial situations.
Good advice, there ..... side hills, especially (tech stuff, yeah, you can run out of standover and perhaps fall over and get real banged up..... if you run out of standover when leaning/falling to downhill side of trail, things could get real nasty real fast). Of course, with this being said, I'm not real tall, have short legs to torso proportion, and ride a medium Trek frame (small felt too small, and I don't emjoy excessively long stems - iirc, mine is already 90 mm ..... love the fit, love the feel, I just pay close attention todetail in the above listed conditions, fwiw.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I ride an 05 Coiler, which most people's beef with was bad standover. I'm a taller guy at 6 foot and it doesn't bother me except when I'm trying to do whips or trying to flat table that bike out. Much tougher to pull tricks on when the standover is so tall.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Buying my 1st mtb, the lbs didn't mention anything about standover & it never occured to me when I tried it out. I hadn't been on a bike in 20+ years so a million things was going through my head all at once. I read about the stand over in the manual; 19" frame & flat footed, there's not much space between everything but I haven't had any trouble or situations while trail-riding. I'm 5'10. Don't know my inseam. Bike is 100% comfortable for me & never a worry.

·
Registered
86 Posts
just wait till you need to jump down real quick on uneven ground.... ouch! im in the same boat as you and my bike gives about a half inch clearance from the top tube when standing flat footed. theres been a couple painful times where it just wasnt enough. :(

·
dog's best friend
699 Posts
Depends. If you ride technical and want any/more kids, you'll want all the standover/up you can get.

Me, I'm done with having kids so I ride a bike with Softride beam.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My local trails do not have much in the way of jumps or drops so no worries for the time being but when I least expect it, it'll happen!

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
I too am 5'10" and have your same problem when buying new frames. I ride anywhere between 17" and 20" depending on style and brand. I have found that for me TT length is more important, don't get me wrong here, I look at standover as well. TT for me is always about a 23~24" range. ie on my all mountain bike I ride a 17" frame w/ 23" TT and my XC bike is a 19" with 24" TT. If you like to jump a lot and ride aggresive, for the smaller 17", but if your more a XC guy, IMO go for the 19". maybe a shorter stem with it would help out too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts