Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Jackass
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
October is halfway over now, and if you live on the Colorado Front Range that means riding season is for the most part over. Oh sure, there is always some low elevation riding to be had if it turns out that this winter isn’t a bad one, but its best not to count on it.
As a non-skier the prospect of winter has me seriously bummed out. You see, on Feb 27 of this year I was on my way to work on my Motorcycle (Ok, it was a scooter but the state of Colorado considers anything over 50 cc’s a motorcycle so no smart comments.) when I got T-boned and was run over by a 19 year old in her daddies VW Jetta. I was not expected to survive. Pretty much every bone in the right side of my body was broken, some in multiple places. Both of my lungs collapsed and my liver was totally smashed. I received a total of 60 units of blood, (enough to fill the average body 3 times) and had 4 major surgeries. I spent 4 weeks in ICU, then 3 weeks on the rehab floor learning to walk again, followed by three months of twice a week Physical Therapy.
When I was in P.T. my therapist asked me, “What is important for you do again?” To which I replied “I need to ride again.” In the hospital the Doc’s told me the fact that I was in good shape from all the riding I was doing is probably what kept me alive. That coupled with the fact riding also happens to be how I stay sane meant that getting on a bike again was way up on my priority list.
The first time on a bike at PT was quite a moment for me. The therapist held the bike while I pedaled till I built up some speed then he let me go. You know, just like when you teach a little kid to ride. Remember the first time your parents let you go on a bike? It was just like that. I was scared sh!tless, but at the same time, for the first time in four months I thought everything might be all right after all.
Since my Doc forbid me to hit my head again anytime soon (something about a lifetime of eating through a straw and having my wife changing my diapers) and the possibility of re-breaking bones, I spent my summer Mountain Biking vicariously. You know, through magazines, MTBR ride reports from my fellow front rangers, and a borrowed copy of The Collective on pretty much an endless loop. I also bought a Niner RIP9 frame for my birthday in May. So over the next couple of months with the help of my very sympathetic LBS I slowly purchased components and began to assemble my new bike. I eventually sold my hard tail and my much loved recumbent (my broken pelvis and tailbone couldn’t take that sitting position anymore) to help finance the new bike. Sometimes the waiting was horrible. Probably the only reason I didn’t totally lose my mind was getting clearance from the brain doc to road bike again.
So now, 8 months later, I’m doing much better and my new bike is complete. I rode for the first time last Saturday on the RIP9and it was a transcendent experience. My lung capacity is horrible, I’ve pretty much lost all of what riding skills I had, and for the obvious reasons I’m pretty out of shape but man did I love every minute of it. It’s a great feeling to ride again.

Now I just have to wait till summer gets here.

Pics:
1. whats left of the scooter
2. My brother in a beer bottle costume. Don't ask me, I don't know why, I was in a coma at the time.
3. With my new ride, not even dirty yet.

Attachments

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Wow. Incredible story.

Are you going to use a trainer during the winter months to get some fitness and strength back?

Good luck, and be sure to post pics of you riding your cool new steed.

·
I like Squishy Bikes
1,099 Posts
day-um

Scooter...Recumbent...Rip9 all in 1 post :skep:

Wow...sounds like you pulled thru some scary sh*t
Congrats on the recovery & not drinkin' meals thru straws :thumbsup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
What a story, glad to hear you're making it back to good health. I completely agree with your comment on how important riding is to your health, both mental and physical. I think if I didn't have riding I would be much closer to stepping out in front of a bus, off a bridge etc.

I hope such a terrible accident means a nice long turn of good karma for you. And you get to shread some trail on that sweet Niner :thumbsup:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Awesome story man, very good read, and I wish you the best of luck with the recovery!

This is sorta related...my girlfriend is in her last year of nursing school. After hearing about some of the things she's seen in hospitals (25yr. old male who's digestive system just quit working...he has a colostomy bag for the rest of his life now; 70+yr. old woman who was so neglected at a nursing home she developed bed sores on the back of her heels that went all the way to the bone; I could go on and on...); I don't have bad days anymore...you're story reminded me of that yet again.

I thank God everyday for my health!

Enjoy the bike bro, and stay safe.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Welcome back! I survived a 65 mph head on about 4 years ago. I completely understand the feeling you described when riding for the first time after the accident.
I appreciate every ride more than ever now, you will too.
c

·
loud hubs save lives
705 Posts
as a fellow motorcyclist and mtn biker ... great story (the recovery part).

someone i knew didn't make it throught a similar accident last week, and i've almost been hit twice this week (within feet) on the way to work. makes you appreciate every day more and more.

·
bi-winning
11,112 Posts
Wow, don't really know what to say. I do think though, that maybe someone up above deserves a few thank-yous.

I wish you all the best in the coming riding season.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Wow!

Thanks for posting about your accident and recovery!

I had a somewhat similar experience this last summer.

Much, much less serious though; A hydroplaning flatbed truck into my car, 5 surgeries involved, 1 collapsed lung, no coma - but no memories for most of May either, blah, blah, blah....

A Niner RIP, very impressive! I only managed to pull off a Voodoo Canzo 29er frame for a recovery incentive.

You've set the standards for recovery high! Now all I have to do is go through your story again whenever I'm feeling weak during therapy!

My hat's off to you! Keep up the good work!

·
Dust eater
151 Posts
Great story and many congratulations with your recovery!

This will play in the back of my mind now - if ever (touch wood) find myself in an unfortunate situation, I hope I have a fraction of your drive to get me back on the trails again.

Keep safe.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.