Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Professional Crastinator
6,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waxing nostalgic today with the passing of one of the female stars of our local MTB community from cancer. She was maybe 50, but of course looked a young 40. She was a force of constant encouragement and inspiration and I'm sure she single-handedly brought many new riders into the sport. She also somehow made you want to bite off more than you could chew (or at least scare yourself a little) when it came to distance events. Probably of all the riders I personally know, she may hold all the distance and time records for riding a mountain bike off road.

All that to say her presence in the MTB community had a positive effect on me too... steered me (my mind) in a certain direction, so to speak. That got me thinking of how many times I met someone, or rode a particular trail, or rode a particular obstacle on a trail, or bypassed an obstacle, or stopped to chat (or not), or shared some food/parts/time/water/tools with a stranger - each of those times being a little bump that deflected or guided my direction as a rider from my preconceived path.

Each time I saw someone do something amazing that I had to learn.
(and sometimes found out I couldn't)
The years I worked in bike shops (and the deli across the street that would make us these HUGE sandwiches).
The times I didn't get a new bike - and was glad.
The people who have come into and moved out of the sport over the years.
The people who have always been there - and will ride wherever, whenever, even in the rain/snow/mud.

Yeah it's all just "life", but sometimes I think it's important to acknowledge that we aren't all that we are just because of ourselves. We all had help (and sometimes the opposite of help) along the way.

Thankful that I've been riding long enough to "wax nostalgic" about it.

-F

·
CEO Product Failure
2,072 Posts
Very sorry for you loss. My condolences. I am sure you feel closer to her on certain trails. Embrace those feelings.

I have the same memories of my buddy Moots (Michael Hopkins) from Sacramento. All around great guy, some 30yrs my senior, mentored me in bikes, life, great beers, and awesome chicken mole (Tres Hermanas in Chico is/was the bust). I lived in IL at the time I knew moots, we'd constant talk anytime. More times it was me calling looking for a craft beer recommendation. His passion was cycling. He had the Oldsmobile station wagon from Tread in his drive; even had it signed by a few of the OG pro-riders (I recall seeing Overend's autograph above the passenger side door), he rode the Thanksgiving Day Mt. Tam ride religiously, he had 20+ bikes throughout his home, man....I do miss him. I met so many great people through moots. Love that guy. He passed away in December of 2012. I can still hear his voice.

·
Co Springs
2,414 Posts
Wonderful expression of many important details in life and those who influence us. Sorry for your loss.

b

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.