Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyone's tolerance level is for riding in the summer heat (and humidity).

Fortunately here in Idaho, we really don't know what humidity is. Whew. The mornings and late evenings can be quite pleasant in the summer, but most of my weekly riding has to begin around 5-6pm. Right now our afternoon temps are getting well into the 90s and may be hitting triple digits soon. Unfortunately our local trails down in the valley have zero shade. If you want to drive up towards the local ski resort, it would be somewhat cooler, but still plenty warm but at least you have trees to shade you during the ride.

I'll mountain bike when it's in the mid-90s. I just make sure I bring plenty of water, slather on the sunblock, and take it nice and easy. When it gets too hot...like upper 90s, then I much rather be on my road bike since I can move much faster and most of my riding is alongside the Boise River.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I've ridden when its 100 out and when its 10 out - I think a lot depends on your level of fitness and how well you hydrate yourself before, during and after the ride. I think your body will let you know when its too hot; you just need to be aware of the warning signs.

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
When I was a teenager, I used to live in Dhahran Saudi Arabia. I rode my BMX when it was 120 degrees and 80-90% humidity. Does that count?:D

Of course, now I complain if it's over 85 degrees and high humidity. I can still ride when it's in the 90s if there is very low humidity, but I don't like it so much.

·
Fat guy on a bike
703 Posts
i try to ride below 90, but i can survive up until about 95.

The main problem for me is hydration. The hotter it is, the faster my camelbak drains. If its empty before i get back, i am screwed :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
In DC I can pretty much ride in whatever heat is thrown my way. Usually there is at least some tree cover on most trails, though when it is above 90 and the humidity gets up there, it is draining.

Last week I was in Vegas for work and went on a road ride and a mt ride. Both days I left around 7. Buy 8 it reached 100+. On the mtb, it was almost unbearable. No shade, and just hard to concentrate, since I was riding stuff I had never ridden before. I had to quit by 9. On the road, I just kept going, and it did not really bother me until about 11 am. By then it was close to 110. But I think because I was moving faster and I did not have to concentrate as hard, it was much more pleasant.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I think yesterdays ride was about the hotest I've done with absolutely high humidity prob 80% (normally around 60% here), my HRM mounted on the bars recorded a temp high of 34C / 94F, avg temp was around 30C / 88F. I did all right on the 3.75 hour/24 mile ride, but felt the effects later during the day - felt tottaly zapped, YET still went and did another short, but hot evening ride w/ some buds. Did take loads of water and some accelerade with me so I was fine, just heat and me don't agree too well, but if an oportunity presents that I can grab a ride I'll go no matter how hot.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I ride when it's -10 and when its 105 and humid as hell. Gotta love the midwest. Just prepare and dress accordingly. Either lots of water, or lots o layers :)

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Up to body tempurature

I can't ride very well if I can't cool down by making my own breeze while riding. So I don't start a (shorter) ride if it's over about 92 to 95.

Open sun longer climbs above 90 is pretty cruel. Even worse at altitude, the sun always feels hotter than near sea level.

My favorite riding is 85 - 90 in the shade of trees. 75 - 80 in full sun with a little breeze.

Gotta drink a lot of water and some electrolytes (Gatorade, etc.) if riding longer than 2 hours when it's above 85.

:cool:

- ray

·
EDR
10,430 Posts
It's a matter of getting used to it. In Phoenix the temps get up to 115 degrees daily in late June. Now that the Monsoon has set in the temps average around 104 to 106 degrees but with much more humidity (not like 80% but in the 30's or 40's) . In the mornings (7am or so) the first 15 or 20 minutes kick my ass....then I get used to it and feel great. Don't get me wrong, I don't ride at 2pm, that would just warrant a trip to the ER! it's early morning or late in the afternoon when the storm clouds roll in and the temps drop quite a bit when I ride..

·
The Silent Rider
303 Posts
Being down here in....

Southern Georgia for the last couple of years, I've ridden in some hot and humid weather. Just make sure you start hydrating the night before and not during the ride. If you wait until the ride to start drinking, you're too late. Spent some time in Iraq and had to deal with the 120 degrees with no humidity also. Which is worse? They both suck, but I can ride in both areas for at least a few hours before even the hydration starts to dissappear. Like it was stated before, make sure you know the signs of heat injuries. If you stop sweating.....you're screwed!

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I'm spoiled.
Anything over 85 degrees and 20% humidity and I start *****ing. But then again, I commute on my bike when it's -20 and blowing snow sideways. I can always put on more clothes. I can only take off so many, before they arrest me. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.