Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our season started in February, I imagine a lot of you guys have had a few races already. Any good finishes? Good racing stories?

1,328 Posts
My first race was mid-March at the True Grit in St George UT. FREAKIN AWESOME race if you've never been - was my first time, I did the 50. And yeah, it's NUE but ~4hrs doesn't really seem like xxc IMO. Expected to take ~5hrs as I'm not a skinny climby type but rolled in 4:09 and change. Pretty psyhed for decent form that early.

Of course since then things have pretty much gone downhill conditions wise (Front Range CO). We've had enough snow this spring that I'm wondering if they'll have to use a bobcat again on some of the trails in Breck.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
First season with a powermeter in winter. I must say I'm really impressed. I target XCM races so I did lots of SST training in winter preceded by a VO2max block. Especially SST is difficult, if not impossible, to hit without a powermeter. I'm an "experienced" rider (many years of racing) but the training this winter brought me to a new level. 3 races so far, always top 5 in my age group. Always top 10% overall. Quite an improvement to previous years. Especially with 3 kids at home.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Had a good early season teaser at 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo where my team took 1st in 4 person open women. Raced really strong and surprised myself... then I did my dabble in early season road stuff and finally realized I got the roadie stuff down enough to get good results. My mountain bike race plans keep getting changed/canceled, so haven't really started at that season, which is unusual, so I'm just messing around with the road stuff for now and having fun with something different. Should get stuff finally started on the mountain bike side with the Half Growler over Memorial Weekend.

·
Registered
589 Posts
My first race went great. It was a trail tt only 11.5 miles and 1300' of climbing. Took first place in my cat II age group.
Second race, not as great. Rough trail (hardtail) lots more elevation. Took 16th out of 41. Next race is this coming weekend, and it's on my home turf. Hoping the weather cooperates and I can put out a good effort.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not having a good season now,weight went up like 6-7 kg and I started to slow down on climbs.Could not establish a solid base because had a hard winter.Yet overall fitness is getting better,losing some weight and improving leg strength will definitely make me a competitive.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Two races down in the Mid Atlantic Super Series...Cat 1 SS. 5th place in the first race that was flat and super fast. 1st place this past weekend at a much more rocky technical course. Probably going down to Maryland this weekend for the third race of the series

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
5 XC races and 2 6 hours for me so far.

3rd in one of the XC's and the most recent 6 hr. Also finished 11th at 6 Hrs of Warrior Creek in the Open Solo category at the only race of my season so far with a pretty sizable category (49). Wish I had larger categories to race against but I guess it is what it is. Still roughly mid-pack or a little better in Cat2. I was hoping for a little more at this point. Still a lot of racing left but I feel like I should've done a lot more strength training over the winter. I put a lot of emphasis on upping my endurance since that was a limiter last year and that was successful but I think I've done it at the expense of some of the power I felt like I had last year.

On the bright side, I've been much faster than last year at every course, just seems like everyone in front of me continues to get faster at about the same rate.

I'm still having fun though so I guess that's the important part.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I've done 4 races this year, but all road racing (Cat 3). 2 crits and 2 road races. Results have been good but not great. Lots of team tactics and I'm the weakest on the team, so I'm relegated to working a lot on the front, blocking cross winds, and chasing down breaks, etc. One race (Masters crit), they worked for me, and I managed a 7th, missing the lead break.

Our local MTB midweeks start June 3rd and I'm excited for that (A,B, and C classes). Usually I'm podium in the B class, or DFL in the A class. This year they are moving to four categories (beginner, sport, expert, and pro), so I'm curious how I'll do against the younger experts. There will also be lots of HS kids to contend with as well, and they are fast. 2 kids were dominating the A class last year versus seasoned pros; it was really something to see.

·
Always pushing harder!!!
1,158 Posts
My season usually starts in February, but I had a crash in late December that left me with two cracked ribs, so I didn't race until March. One 2nd place, one flat on the next race and two straights wins in April. I'm doing good so far, and already working for my targets in July.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I started the year off with Pneumonia and ended up using the March and April races as training rides. It's finally coming around though, two endurance wins and a XC win in the masters class in the past month. I have a 70 mile race this weekend and a 24 hour solo in two weeks!

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I've had the opportunity to race a few times this season (still early for us), and my times have notable improved. I made a concerted effort to train differently this past winter, and it is now paying off. Climbing power and endurance were my limiters, and I'm gaining ground on them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
first race of the season podiomed and then raced at a big nationals qualifier this last weekend and flatted out (had not used the tube in over a year and had a hole(s) and one C02) check yer kit kids

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did my first XC race ever last week and got 5th. Pretty happy about that - it's better than I've ever done at CX. Thinking about upgrading, but one of my friends races the cat above me and his 7th place lap time was about 5 full minutes ahead of mine, so maybe I should get faster/more stamina first...

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,863 Posts
Dove right in to MTB this year. My newly opened LBS called out on FB for interest in a bike racing team, didn't know it was XC when I volunteered. Borrowed a friends entry level HT (spring front, mech discs, 26") and tried the Temecula 12 hour solo. Broke a chain about 10 hours in but I was hooked. Used the same bike for the first 3 rounds of the Kenda Cup West.

Bought a good AM FS 27.5" bike (too good of a deal and I had the money) and started racing that. Finished 2nd on my first race on the bike with s crash and no adjustments. First in the second race. Cat 3 of course.

Raced the Wildflower MTB sprint tri, 2nd in my age group (bike was overkill, super easy running trails).

Looking forward to the 2nd 12 hour next month and the last two XC rounds. Will get my ass kicked in Cat 2 next season :)

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Dove right in to MTB this year. My newly opened LBS called out on FB for interest in a bike racing team, didn't know it was XC when I volunteered. Borrowed a friends entry level HT (spring front, mech discs, 26") and tried the Temecula 12 hour solo. Broke a chain about 10 hours in but I was hooked. Used the same bike for the first 3 rounds of the Kenda Cup West.

Bought a good AM FS 27.5" bike (too good of a deal and I had the money) and started racing that. Finished 2nd on my first race on the bike with s crash and no adjustments. First in the second race. Cat 3 of course.

Raced the Wildflower MTB sprint tri, 2nd in my age group (bike was overkill, super easy running trails).

Looking forward to the 2nd 12 hour next month and the last two XC rounds. Will get my ass kicked in Cat 2 next season :)
Nice work! So, you're new to all of this?

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,863 Posts
Nice work! So, you're new to all of this?
I've been racing triathlon for a few years and started commuting by bike a year ago so I've got the power in my legs. And road racing motorcycles for even longer so I've got a lot of practice with bike handling. I just had to transfer that over to MTB.

I'm just trying to figure out why I'm getting hurt worse crashing the MTB then the motorcycle :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts