Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How hard is installing a new fork?

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  joehspicer@msn.com 
#1 ·
I just ordered a new fork online and I was wondering if I should let my LBS install it (about $25 labor) or just try it myself. Only thing I'm really worried about is getting the disc brake installed right. Also, my current steer tube is 206mm and the one I ordered is 210mm, is that 4mm difference enough that I would have to cut it? I have zero experience with this kind of stuff. >.>

#3 ·
I run a uncut steerer tube on my bike, you just put spacers above and below the stem. I did run into issues with not having enough spacers above, so make sure you have more than a 1/8 of a inch of spacers above the steerer tube.

You just going to be switching forks right not headsets?

If it is just your fork you just need to swap the crown race. Watch these 2 Videos

And this

Good luck:thumbsup:

We would have to know what Disc Brakes you have to advice you on adjustment after installing on to new fork.

#4 ·
Dremer03 said:
I run a uncut steerer tube on my bike, you just put spacers above and below the stem. I did run into issues with not having enough spacers above, so make sure you have more than a 1/8 of a inch of spacers above the steerer tube.

If it is just your fork you just need to swap the crown race. Watch these 2 Videos

And this

We would have to know what Disc Brakes you have to advice you on adjustment after installing on to new fork.
Dont you currently have a thread about whats wrong with my fork install ? You really are the last person that should be advising someone how to install a fork since you still have not installed one correctly . Your cut and paste advice is unneeded and speaks volumes of your inabilities of anything bicycle related .Again , please quit posting advice of matters of which you have very limited knowledge , you are not doing favors to the unsuspecting noobs who are not aware of your inadaquacies and very limited knowledge .

#5 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
Dont you currently have a thread about whats wrong with my fork install ? You really are the last person that should be advising someone how to install a fork since you still have not installed one correctly . Your cut and paste advice is unneeded and speaks volumes of your inabilities of anything bicycle related .Again , please quit posting advice of matters of which you have very limited knowledge , you are not doing favors to the unsuspecting noobs who are not aware of your inadaquacies and very limited knowledge .
Chill

The topic you are referring too was the second fork I had installed, and my knowledge may be limited but I have installed forks, and I provided Videos on how to install his new fork.

All you did was suggest he watch and learn, so perhaps he should watch those videos and learn :confused:

#7 ·
Dremer03 said:

Yeah, just the fork and my brakes are Avid BB7s. I think I'll just have the shop do it, I do have to trust my life to this thing. >.>

#8 ·
Bandin said:
Yeah, just the fork and my brakes are Avid BB7s. I think I'll just have the shop do it, I do have to trust my life to this thing. >.>
Good luck with your LBS then :thumbsup:

Lots of good videos on youtube.com for installing everything. Sram has a nice video on how to do BB7 Brakes, that you can reference if you change your mind.

#10 ·
AZ.MTNS said:
In all fairness to the little drummer boy, he does have a statement in his sig "Post count does not represent actual MTB knowledge"

#11 ·
For the OP

swapping forks is not that big of a deal - providing you have a bit of mechanical knowledge and are willing to learn / pay for replacement parts you may break.

Items needed:

New fork
Star nut
possible new brake adaptor (if going from post mount to IS )
possible steer tube spacers
possible headset crown race
grease

Tools - allen wrenches to remove stem/brakes
tube cutter (for steer tube)
file (to chamfer edges of steer tube after cutting)
hammer (remove crown race, set replacement star nut)
2' 1.5" plastic plumbing pipe to set crown race on crown

1. remove front wheel
2. remove 2 bolts holding caliper to caloper mount
3. remove any plastic ties holding brake like to fork
4. remove top/stem cap
5. undo two bolts on stem clamp (caution - fork can possibly fall out now)
6. remove stem / spacers (caution - fork can possibly fall out now)
7. if fork has not fallen out, tap on top w a soft face hammer. Do not use a regular hammer as that may damage steer tube)
8. Once fork is removed, salvage parts needed from it - Crown race for headset (tap off using a hammer and allen wrench) disc brake caliper adapter, possibly star nut if you didnt purchase a new one)
9. Measure old steertube length, consider either cutting new fork to appropriate length. If cutting remember to chamfer edges after to allow stem to be easily installed.
10. using plastic pipe reseat crown race onto new fork. Attach caliper adapter on new fork
11. grease bearings in headset while it is apart
12. slide new fork in, reassemble headset.
13. install spacers / stem. pre-load headset WITHOUT tightening stem
14. Once preloaded, straighten stem, tighten stem.
15. Attach brake
16. attach front wheel

under 20 steps.

#13 ·
I have installed three different forks now. It is not a big deal if you have the right tools and some mechanical aptitude. I decided to buy the tools since I came to the conclusion long ago that I was tired of bike shops and was going to make sure that I could do all of my own maintainence. If you only are planning on doing one, I would just take it to the shop since a tube cutter and a star nut installer will cost you about 40 bucks. Sure you could just take a hacksaw to the steerer tube and use a hammer and a bolt to set the star nut, but like anything else, having the right tools makes it so much easier.

#14 ·
gmcttr said:
I'm not sure how you use an allen wrench to help remove the crown race. If you have trouble with it, just have the lbs pop it off.

Pay close attention to the order and orientation of the headset pieces when you remove the old fork.
Using it as a drift. long end almost parallel to steertube catching bottom of crown race. Gently tap with hammer around until race pops off. Causes way less damage then a flat screwdriver as there is more surface area contacting.

#15 ·
NMPhi767 said:
I have installed three different forks now. It is not a big deal if you have the right tools and some mechanical aptitude. I decided to buy the tools since I came to the conclusion long ago that I was tired of bike shops and was going to make sure that I could do all of my own maintainence. If you only are planning on doing one, I would just take it to the shop since a tube cutter and a star nut installer will cost you about 40 bucks. Sure you could just take a hacksaw to the steerer tube and use a hammer and a bolt to set the star nut, but like anything else, having the right tools makes it so much easier.
I agree - get the tools yourself and do it instead of the lbs.

starnut setter can be found for under $20

pipecutter can be found for under $20 at hardware store.

you will be ahead before you even start. Plus the satisfaction of DIY :thumbsup:

#16 ·
Not quite

Dremer03 said:

And this

The crown race is specific to the fork. There is no swapping involved.

#21 ·
I recently did this myself for the first time. I did have the LBS remove my crown race (they charged me $5), I was able to do everything else though. I found a DIY online, it was very easy. I used an extra spacer above the stem so I didn't have to cut the steering tube (mainly for resale value or if I swap the fork to a different frame). I haven't ridden it yet, just did the install yesterday, but it seems like it's all working correctly.

#22 ·
#23 ·
joehspicer@msn.com said:
If you dont want to go through installing a star nut (which i didnt) then try getting a head lock (see links below). I'd trust them more than a star nut, and IF you ever break a steerer tube, it acts as a kind of back up. I know the chances of it happening are tiny, but it's happened to people.
I use the Gusset one, works perfectly :thumbsup:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17766
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=567
I was suggested this item in a topic I started a week or so ago http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=911

No need to set anything, and its pretty nice looking.

Learn from my mistake
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=580060

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.