Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a new fork online and I was wondering if I should let my LBS install it (about $25 labor) or just try it myself. Only thing I'm really worried about is getting the disc brake installed right. Also, my current steer tube is 206mm and the one I ordered is 210mm, is that 4mm difference enough that I would have to cut it? I have zero experience with this kind of stuff. >.>
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
If you ask the question you should probably let the LBS install it . Ask them if you can watch and learn .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
I run a uncut steerer tube on my bike, you just put spacers above and below the stem. I did run into issues with not having enough spacers above, so make sure you have more than a 1/8 of a inch of spacers above the steerer tube.

You just going to be switching forks right not headsets?

If it is just your fork you just need to swap the crown race. Watch these 2 Videos



And this

Good luck:thumbsup:

We would have to know what Disc Brakes you have to advice you on adjustment after installing on to new fork.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
Dremer03 said:
I run a uncut steerer tube on my bike, you just put spacers above and below the stem. I did run into issues with not having enough spacers above, so make sure you have more than a 1/8 of a inch of spacers above the steerer tube.

You just going to be switching forks right not headsets?

If it is just your fork you just need to swap the crown race. Watch these 2 Videos



And this

Good luck:thumbsup:

We would have to know what Disc Brakes you have to advice you on adjustment after installing on to new fork.
Dont you currently have a thread about whats wrong with my fork install ? You really are the last person that should be advising someone how to install a fork since you still have not installed one correctly . Your cut and paste advice is unneeded and speaks volumes of your inabilities of anything bicycle related .Again , please quit posting advice of matters of which you have very limited knowledge , you are not doing favors to the unsuspecting noobs who are not aware of your inadaquacies and very limited knowledge .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
Dont you currently have a thread about whats wrong with my fork install ? You really are the last person that should be advising someone how to install a fork since you still have not installed one correctly . Your cut and paste advice is unneeded and speaks volumes of your inabilities of anything bicycle related .Again , please quit posting advice of matters of which you have very limited knowledge , you are not doing favors to the unsuspecting noobs who are not aware of your inadaquacies and very limited knowledge .
Chill

The topic you are referring too was the second fork I had installed, and my knowledge may be limited but I have installed forks, and I provided Videos on how to install his new fork.

All you did was suggest he watch and learn, so perhaps he should watch those videos and learn :confused:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,198 Posts
And quit listening to some internet hack that has zero knowledge of anything remotely resembling a bicycle .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dremer03 said:
You just going to be switching forks right not headsets?

We would have to know what Disc Brakes you have to advice you on adjustment after installing on to new fork.
Yeah, just the fork and my brakes are Avid BB7s. I think I'll just have the shop do it, I do have to trust my life to this thing. >.>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
Bandin said:
Yeah, just the fork and my brakes are Avid BB7s. I think I'll just have the shop do it, I do have to trust my life to this thing. >.>
Good luck with your LBS then :thumbsup:

Lots of good videos on youtube.com for installing everything. Sram has a nice video on how to do BB7 Brakes, that you can reference if you change your mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
If you ask the question you should probably let the LBS install it . Ask them if you can watch and learn .
lol .. then how is some one supposed to learn something if they don't ask a question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,900 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
Dont you currently have a thread about whats wrong with my fork install ? You really are the last person that should be advising someone how to install a fork since you still have not installed one correctly . Your cut and paste advice is unneeded and speaks volumes of your inabilities of anything bicycle related .Again , please quit posting advice of matters of which you have very limited knowledge , you are not doing favors to the unsuspecting noobs who are not aware of your inadaquacies and very limited knowledge .
In all fairness to the little drummer boy, he does have a statement in his sig "Post count does not represent actual MTB knowledge"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,900 Posts
For the OP

swapping forks is not that big of a deal - providing you have a bit of mechanical knowledge and are willing to learn / pay for replacement parts you may break.

Items needed:

New fork
Star nut
possible new brake adaptor (if going from post mount to IS )
possible steer tube spacers
possible headset crown race
grease

Tools - allen wrenches to remove stem/brakes
tube cutter (for steer tube)
file (to chamfer edges of steer tube after cutting)
hammer (remove crown race, set replacement star nut)
2' 1.5" plastic plumbing pipe to set crown race on crown


1. remove front wheel
2. remove 2 bolts holding caliper to caloper mount
3. remove any plastic ties holding brake like to fork
4. remove top/stem cap
5. undo two bolts on stem clamp (caution - fork can possibly fall out now)
6. remove stem / spacers (caution - fork can possibly fall out now)
7. if fork has not fallen out, tap on top w a soft face hammer. Do not use a regular hammer as that may damage steer tube)
8. Once fork is removed, salvage parts needed from it - Crown race for headset (tap off using a hammer and allen wrench) disc brake caliper adapter, possibly star nut if you didnt purchase a new one)
9. Measure old steertube length, consider either cutting new fork to appropriate length. If cutting remember to chamfer edges after to allow stem to be easily installed.
10. using plastic pipe reseat crown race onto new fork. Attach caliper adapter on new fork
11. grease bearings in headset while it is apart
12. slide new fork in, reassemble headset.
13. install spacers / stem. pre-load headset WITHOUT tightening stem
14. Once preloaded, straighten stem, tighten stem.
15. Attach brake
16. attach front wheel

under 20 steps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,790 Posts
I'm not sure how you use an allen wrench to help remove the crown race. If you have trouble with it, just have the lbs pop it off.

Pay close attention to the order and orientation of the headset pieces when you remove the old fork.
 

·
Just Joshin' ya!
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
I have installed three different forks now. It is not a big deal if you have the right tools and some mechanical aptitude. I decided to buy the tools since I came to the conclusion long ago that I was tired of bike shops and was going to make sure that I could do all of my own maintainence. If you only are planning on doing one, I would just take it to the shop since a tube cutter and a star nut installer will cost you about 40 bucks. Sure you could just take a hacksaw to the steerer tube and use a hammer and a bolt to set the star nut, but like anything else, having the right tools makes it so much easier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,900 Posts
gmcttr said:
I'm not sure how you use an allen wrench to help remove the crown race. If you have trouble with it, just have the lbs pop it off.

Pay close attention to the order and orientation of the headset pieces when you remove the old fork.
Using it as a drift. long end almost parallel to steertube catching bottom of crown race. Gently tap with hammer around until race pops off. Causes way less damage then a flat screwdriver as there is more surface area contacting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,900 Posts
NMPhi767 said:
I have installed three different forks now. It is not a big deal if you have the right tools and some mechanical aptitude. I decided to buy the tools since I came to the conclusion long ago that I was tired of bike shops and was going to make sure that I could do all of my own maintainence. If you only are planning on doing one, I would just take it to the shop since a tube cutter and a star nut installer will cost you about 40 bucks. Sure you could just take a hacksaw to the steerer tube and use a hammer and a bolt to set the star nut, but like anything else, having the right tools makes it so much easier.
I agree - get the tools yourself and do it instead of the lbs.

starnut setter can be found for under $20

pipecutter can be found for under $20 at hardware store.

you will be ahead before you even start. Plus the satisfaction of DIY :thumbsup:
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Not quite

Dremer03 said:
I run a uncut steerer tube on my bike, you just put spacers above and below the stem. I did run into issues with not having enough spacers above, so make sure you have more than a 1/8 of a inch of spacers above the steerer tube.

You just going to be switching forks right not headsets?

If it is just your fork you just need to swap the crown race. Watch these 2 Videos



And this

Good luck:thumbsup:

We would have to know what Disc Brakes you have to advice you on adjustment after installing on to new fork.
The crown race is specific to the fork. There is no swapping involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,656 Posts
Ken in KC said:
The crown race is specific to the fork. There is no swapping involved.
So I want to have this straight. Your telling me that this (below) cant be swapped from fork to fork. I always understood the Crown Race to be only specific to the Headset not the fork. Am I wrong?
 

·
Probably drunk right now
Joined
·
6,753 Posts
Nope...

Dremer03 said:
So I want to have this straight. Your telling me that this (below) cant be swapped from fork to fork. I always understood the Crown Race to be only specific to the Headset not the fork. Am I wrong?
I'm wrong. You're correct.

Not enough coffee yet, I guess.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top