Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am getting a new bike and I want to start doing some Downhill riding, but how hard is it? I have expierence jump 75ft+ jumps racing motocross and I think that would help. I wanna get a bike that is good for just regular riding and for some DH. My budget is $1000. Thing is I dont want to invest in this sport and find out that its almost impossible for me to do.

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
I will give this to you from a guy who has raced both Superbikes on the Road, and Supermoto. Also spent 10 Years racing Dh (two pro). I will have to say that Dh was a huge challenge coming from motorcycles. It's just different. On the other hand because you have handling skills from moto you should pick it up pretty quick. The main thing YOU need to do is raise that budget about another $2000, or it's going to be much harder. A good bike is where it's at in DH.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well see the thing is I want to use this bike for trail riding and little downhill. So a full out DH bike wont be right for me. I was thinking maybe a used Trek 90 liquid, or a new Ibex. Would these bikes hold up at all?

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
crf59jk said:
Well see the thing is I want to use this bike for trail riding and little downhill. So a full out DH bike wont be right for me. I was thinking maybe a used Trek 90 liquid, or a new Ibex. Would these bikes hold up at all?
Nomad Nomad Nomad!!! Stiil $1000 doesn't get you much.

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
crf59jk said:
Ibex has discontinued their FR/DH model (Ibex Zone) already... I'm happy i got one of the last ones... Discontinued to possibly 2008 or later...

·
P-51 Crew Chief #38
603 Posts
jdude said:
You must be young and from a Jr. High that doesn't offer Literature or Spelling.
Excuse me I think you need to really read the first post on the DH forum! Thank You:madman:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
If you're not sure how you're gonna like it, my advice is wait till summer, go to a ski resort that does biking as well, rent a DH bike and give it a shot for the day. Better to find out you don't like it that way, then buying a bike and not liking it.

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
MattP. said:
If you're not sure how you're gonna like it, my advice is wait till summer, go to a ski resort that does biking as well, rent a DH bike and give it a shot for the day. Better to find out you don't like it that way, then buying a bike and not liking it.
I totally agree. If you buy a DH specific bike, and you don't like riding downhill all the time, you're pretty much screwed. You might find a 6" bike, or a XC specific model is more to your liking.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good idea guys, I might just go hit up one of many ski resorts here in CO. One thing, I remember when I was little we would take out bikes up the mountain and ride down the slops on the trails. Would that pretty much be what a downhill trail is?

All of the videos and what not I have seen of DH trails its crazy ass stuff, jumping gaps and flying down hills weaving through trees. Now if I go out there my first time am I gonna encounter this stuff? Or is that just mmore technical stuff that has doubles, tight lines through trees, cliffs, ledges, etc...

Are there any bikes out there that are Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc... companies I would know of and have expiernce with that make a none DH specific bike that would work fine for light DH? Im worried I wont have alot of time to just DH ride, and I dont think a DH bike would be comftorble to just take and cruise around the neihborhood. I was thinking a 65 liquid maybe off ebay. Oh yeah did I ever mention that I have a FS Pro Flex 756. Im not sure if it would be a good bike to ride with what im wanting to do, I broke that back shock linkage 1 year ago, so that bikes gone anyways.

Thanks for your help

·
BrassBalled DropbarNinja
11,813 Posts
crf59jk said:
Good idea guys, I might just go hit up one of many ski resorts here in CO. One thing, I remember when I was little we would take out bikes up the mountain and ride down the slops on the trails. Would that pretty much be what a downhill trail is?

All of the videos and what not I have seen of DH trails its crazy ass stuff, jumping gaps and flying down hills weaving through trees. Now if I go out there my first time am I gonna encounter this stuff? Or is that just mmore technical stuff that has doubles, tight lines through trees, cliffs, ledges, etc...

Are there any bikes out there that are Trek, Specialized, Cannondale, etc... companies I would know of and have expiernce with that make a none DH specific bike that would work fine for light DH? Im worried I wont have alot of time to just DH ride, and I dont think a DH bike would be comftorble to just take and cruise around the neihborhood. I was thinking a 65 liquid maybe off ebay. Oh yeah did I ever mention that I have a FS Pro Flex 756. Im not sure if it would be a good bike to ride with what im wanting to do, I broke that back shock linkage 1 year ago, so that bikes gone anyways.

Thanks for your help
well thats pretty much what dh trails are like... but there are sooo many and so different. Stuff like at Sea Otter are very flowy so i'm told. And stuff like Fontana looks Gnarlier. Stuff at Whistler even better.

Bikes out there by those companies? Well... Specialized SX Trail should fit right in there...

·
I bike long tyme.
1,107 Posts
I have yet to meet someone who has tried DH and not been hooked from the first run. Aside from trail features (drops/gaps, etc.) with no go-around, most DH trails are as dangerous and difficult as you make them. Most runs are just steep, technical singletrack. Speed usually dictates how on the edge you remain and if you have good braking and weight transfer skills, most trails can be rolled at turtle speed until you get comfortable with the terrain. I regularly take beginners riding some insane DH runs with me and they all do fine. They just ride slow, but still have a blast. And actually, the more comfortable you become on them, the easier they'll become because as you know from MX, speed is your friend more times than not in a lot of situations. Momentum will carry you. Same principle applies here. I'd rent or borrow a bike and try it out, then spend all your coin on the best piece of equip you can afford.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Are you talkin abiut raing DH or just riding? If your'e just riding something like an SX Trail will do fine. But if your'e racing you will probably be at a disadvantage and if your'e anything like me, you'll want to trade in that SXT for a full DH rig

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.