Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Rush is a very popular ride here, so I'm hoping for some insight.

I'm really going round and round with a starting point (frame) for a new bike build. Here's where I am now...

Love the Hollowpoint, but I'm going for something a little longer (longer front end)) and lower. The HP goes back to lightish XC mode for my wife, and I'm starting over :)

I really really really want the Rush to work! I love the feel of the geometry, the low bottom bracket, etc. 4" of travel should be fine. I'm looking to come out with a fun bike that can take fairly smooth dirt jumps, city riding, an afternoon at the BMX track, maybe a 4x race one weekend, some small drops, and then raise the seat and ride home. I know the Prophet sounds more like it, but the lower slung Rush is what I want to work. Am I kidding myself? Build would be single front ring w/chainguid, Manitou Nixon or Gold Label, and a stout wheelset.

Chip

·
The Quimby!
366 Posts
Chip Henderson said:
I really really really want the Rush to work! I love the feel of the geometry, the low bottom bracket, etc. 4" of travel should be fine. I'm looking to come out with a fun bike that can take fairly smooth dirt jumps, city riding, an afternoon at the BMX track, maybe a 4x race one weekend, some small drops, and then raise the seat and ride home. I know the Prophet sounds more like it, but the lower slung Rush is what I want to work. Am I kidding myself? Build would be single front ring w/chainguid, Manitou Nixon or Gold Label, and a stout wheelset.

Chip
G'day Chip. I am sure that the Rush will have no trouble with city riding and small drops around 3 feet or so (as long as you are very smooth) but I really don't know about dirt jumps (even if very smooth), BMX tracks and 4X racing.

The Rush is intended to be a 12 / 24 hour racer, with the bike designed to be fast, yet comfortably tolerable for long periods in the saddle. I don't know if Cannondale really had the word "fun" in mind when designing this bicycle. Even if the frame could take 4X, BMX and dirt jumps, I think the geometry may not be optimum for these activities :confused: . Anyway, Cannondale recommends the Chase for dirt jumping and the Prophet 4X / MX for 4X / freeride duties.

The Chase sounds most like the bike for you. It has as standard the single chainring / bash guard and stout wheelset arrangement you require. Being a dirt jump bike, it will handle dirt jumps (obviously), BMX and small drops. You could then raise the seat and ride home as the Chase would make a nice city cruiser. The Chase definitely fits the word "fun" better than the Rush.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm looking to come out with a fun bike that can take fairly smooth dirt jumps, city riding, an afternoon at the BMX track, maybe a 4x race one weekend, some small drops, and then raise the seat and ride home. I know the Prophet sounds more like it, but the lower slung Rush is what I want to work.
I came from the MKIII as well but I went with the Prophet. I hated the flexi rear end of the MKIII. Run the Prophet in the 67.5d HA setting with the right fork and it's plenty low enough for railing. I don't think the Rush will be able to withstand the punishment you're looking to dish out.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Hard to say. Tara Llanes rips it up pretty well on her trance
which is a pretty comparable bike imo. Some riders are just so smooth that they can ride almost anything. However, i would not expect too many people to suggest the rush, as it WAS NOT designed for what you want to do. I understand what you want. The rush probably could take the abuse for a while, but i am tempted to believe that it would not last too many years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rkj__ said:
Hard to say. Tara Llanes rips it up pretty well on her trance
which is a pretty comparable bike imo. Some riders are just so smooth that they can ride almost anything. However, i would not expect too many people to suggest the rush, as it WAS NOT designed for what you want to do. I understand what you want. The rush probably could take the abuse for a while, but i am tempted to believe that it would not last too many years.
Pretty much just the build I'm thinking of, a sweet little railer! I guess I was under the mistaken impression that the Rush was the C'dale 4x bike before the Prophet came out. Guess I need to give the Prophet another look.

Chip

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.