Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a trek fuel 90 that is a medium. i am looking for a new bike in a bigger size. i am having trouble selling my bike for a new one so i am looking at building myself a new bike with what i already have on my bike. i have found an 05 specialized stumpjumper for a good price in the right size. it is the frame and the rear shock.
my question is does any know how hard it would be to take all i needed from my old bike and put it on the new new one? and is there any measurement like the bb or something like that, that will make my components non compatible?
i have found some spec manuals for the two bikes
04 trek specs manual
http://www.vintage-trek.com/Trek-Fisher-Klein-Lemond/2004specmanualTrek.pdf
05 stumpjumper specs manual
http://service.specialized.com/coll...assets/pdf/FSR---2005-SJ-FSRxc-FSR-Manual.pdf

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Your Trek has a 73mm BB cup, the Specialized has a 68mm BB measurement. You'd need a few spacers.

You would need a 30.9mm seat tube, your Trek seat tube would not fit.

I believe your headset would fit on the Specialized.

As far as what you would need to change all the parts over:

New Housing and Cables for both shifters. A proper cable cutting tool and ferruls would be needed as well.

If you are using Rim brakes, you'll need new housing and cable for them as well. Same with mechanical disc.

You will need grease for your bottom bracket, as well as your other random threat contact points (Deraileur, small bolts, etc).

You will need an ISIS bottom bracket removal tool for your Bottom Bracket, as well as a way to knock out your headset and reinstall the headset in your new frame (Best accomplished with a headset press tool).

Other than that, the only other thing you'd need is the proper allen wrench set and some small flathead screwdrivers for the resetting of derailleurs and brakes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you FNFAL! that almost exactly what i was looking for. now where could i find the things i need? and any prices?

·
Wrench
769 Posts
thank you FNFAL! that almost exactly what i was looking for. now where could i find the things i need? and any prices?
For the Bottom Bracket tool, check the Park Tool BBT-22
Park Tool BBT-22 Shimano Bottom Bracket Cartridge Tool | Park Tool | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

For the headset remover, check here.

Park Tool RT-2 Head Cup Remover | Park Tool | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

As for installing the new headset, I've always used a Headset Press (Which is also used for pressed in bottom brackets). There are tricks you can do to get it in otherwise, but I have never felt good about using a hammer and a cloth!

As for grease, buy a bit of this. It should last you for a long time and be used whenever threads (or even headset and seatpost too) are.

Park Tool PPL-1 PolyLube 1000 Lubricant | Park Tool | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

If you want, a shop should press the headset in for 10 bucks. If they charge more, walk away and go to another shop.

·
Wrench
769 Posts
Tongue in cheek. Most advice on MTBR is something other than what was asked by the original poster. There's a big push for "upgrades" and tech. One of the new trends is to run a single chain-ring up front and 10 or 11 gears in the rear.

No worries though. Are you still looking to buy the Specialized frame?

1by10/11??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tongue in cheek. Most advice on MTBR is something other than what was asked by the original poster. There's a big push for "upgrades" and tech. One of the new trends is to run a single chain-ring up front and 10 or 11 gears in the rear.

No worries though. Are you still looking to buy the Specialized frame?
lol i got what your sayin now. if i were to do that i would go with a 2x10 setup. but cant afford that right now...

i appreciate you actually answering my questions.

i would love to but i had the guy actually measure it and it turned out to be a medium. so that one is out(darn shame). but i am going to keep looking for one. if i find one would you mind if i just go right to you with my questions?

·
Wrench
769 Posts
i would love to but i had the guy actually measure it and it turned out to be a medium. so that one is out(darn shame). but i am going to keep looking for one. if i find one would you mind if i just go right to you with my questions?

Bummer! Sure, shoot me a message if you've got any more questions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts