Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to MTB and have been riding a 20 year old XC hardtail. I want to upgrade to take advantage of modern geometry, dropper posts, full sus, etc. The Canyon Neuron 6 (2021) seems to be a good price (~$3k is what I’m aiming for) and fit the types of trails I ride (my goal is to ride Baby Grand at Palo Duro Canyon in the near future).

In lieu of having the opportunity to test ride the bike, I’ve read a lot of reviews on it. The general consensus is that it is a great bike, but has limits - specifically: other bikes would feel more confident on the descents (Fuel EX is a common comparison). I don’t live near any big enduro parks, so would I even notice it? How big of a difference is it, and how big of a mountain do you have to ride to feel it?

Bottom line is I don’t want to buy a bike that I’m going to immediately out grow if I start to hit gnarlier stuff, but I also understand that I don’t do any crazy downhill. Comments are appreciated!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If it is similarly capable as the fuel ex then you won’t overwhelm it quickly. You may not be able to go as fast on rough terrain as a true enduro bike, but it will be capable enough and more fun on the mellower trails.

·
29ers Forever
3,639 Posts
The Neuron seems to be their all around trail bike, so I'd imagine it would favor descending but still be a great climber.
That being said, there are many bikes for that price that are more well known. If there is a Neuron in your size that is available, you should buy it. In this market, things sell so quickly you can't really take time to think about it.

However, if you have some time on your hands, I highly recommend the Rocky Mountain Instinct. It's a bit burlier than the Canyon and Trek, but has roughly the same suspension travel. This way you won't be burdened with extra suspension, but will have a very capable bike. The A10 Instinct ($2900) also has a much better component spec than the Neuron, and that $300 extra is worth it.

Also, you can't go wrong with the Fuel EX. It has a better component spec for the same price as the Neuron, just throwing that out there. All three of these options will suit what you want in a bike, and if you can find any one of these in your size you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
15,273 Posts
33 lb bike with a 30mm stanchions Judy Silver fork. It hard to find a poorer performing fork.
Unless you upgrade it you'll outgrow it on the first descent.
From the description of your trails you'd be way ahead spending your money finding a 25 lb. hardtail with a good fork. At least a Marzocchi Z2.
Watch some vids at Hardtail Party

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Palo Duro is not super technical. LOTS of sand especially if it hasn't rained in a while. I did the TMBRA marathon there a few years ago all the deep sand took my soul and never gave it back. When you are on mile 40whatever, and you have to do a max threshold interval just to stay upright for 40 yards, it takes you to a dark place and makes you wish they had antidepressants at the feed zone. Wait, what was the question?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Neuron seems to be their all around trail bike, so I'd imagine it would favor descending but still be a great climber.
That being said, there are many bikes for that price that are more well known. If there is a Neuron in your size that is available, you should buy it. In this market, things sell so quickly you can't really take time to think about it.

However, if you have some time on your hands, I highly recommend the Rocky Mountain Instinct. It's a bit burlier than the Canyon and Trek, but has roughly the same suspension travel. This way you won't be burdened with extra suspension, but will have a very capable bike. The A10 Instinct ($2900) also has a much better component spec than the Neuron, and that $300 extra is worth it.

Also, you can't go wrong with the Fuel EX. It has a better component spec for the same price as the Neuron, just throwing that out there. All three of these options will suit what you want in a bike, and if you can find any one of these in your size you won't be disappointed.
I'll have to take a look at that one! The Neuron and Fuel are two that seem pretty common, so I've tunnel visioned a little there. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For anyone still here, who is interested, I ended up buying a Fuel Ex 7! As much as whether or not it was the best bike, it also was available and within my budget at the time I was looking. Quite frankly, I could get away with a more XC oriented bike at my local trails, but the Fuel is a fine bike for it. I just ride it in the high setting most of the time, and it's been great. (Yes, I know about the Top Fuel, but it wasn't available at the time I was looking - and might not still be, haha)

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts