Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came across this on a ride this weekend. Don't see too many trees this big in Ct…

This is on a Quad trail in the general Castle Craig area (Meriden Ct). The structure of the land around there is interesting - about half way up the 'mountain' (using that term very loosely) is a plateau where a series of old dirt roads exist. They have not been used for vehicle traffic for a long time so they have narrowed and deteriorated into MX/Quad trails. I don't usually ride this section of the trail because it's basically an out-and-back but Sunday I was just out for an 'easy-does-it' ride and once you climb up to the plateau, the trail is flat and a lazy ride. I ran into a group of about 10 Quad riders just after taking the pics - had to smell exhaust for a long way...

Attachments

·
Registered
16,674 Posts
That's a fatty. All the other trees behind it are so small in comparison.

Here's one that Shiggy, Tappoix, and I encountered last summer:

Attachments

·
~I Ride In Circles ~
1,629 Posts
that'd be one sweet log pile ride. Build over it and cut a path through for newbies:) Nice and fun!

·
Registered
482 Posts
died of a broken heart...

the second pic (big conifer in OR) died by collapsing due to most of its wood structure being decayed by brown rot fungi (heart rot). hard to tell, but it looks like the first tree (in CT) died of a wood decay in the coarse roots. big trees are usually old, and internal wood decay is highly correlated with tree age. often overlooked, the wood decay fungi are major disturbance factors. they kill old trees in a scattered manner, particularly in old forests, creating gaps for new trees.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Yeah...I bunny hop logs like that all the time... in my freakin' dreams.

:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
We were putting on "The 12 Hours of Stank" race back in 2000 when we started getting reports that a huge tree had fallen. I went out on the course armed with a machete to take care of it. I was a little surprised when I found it, this was in the third hour of a 12 hour race and the two forks of a tree had split and it fell both directions effectively blocking the trail for a hundred feet each direction.

We had no choice except to go over it; we dug up some wood from a low area and made a makeshift “Tree Bridge”. Over the years we have widened it a little and put indoor/outdoor carpet on it.

Now it’s a hell of a jump, it’s a good thing because the two ramps have never quite lined up right, it gives it a little character.

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
santacruzer said:
We were putting on "The 12 Hours of Stank" race back in 2000 when we started getting reports that a huge tree had fallen. I went out on the course armed with a machete to take care of it. I was a little surprised when I found it, this was in the third hour of a 12 hour race and the two forks of a tree had split and it fell both directions effectively blocking the trail for a hundred feet each direction.

We had no choice except to go over it; we dug up some wood from a low area and made a makeshift “Tree Bridge”. Over the years we have widened it a little and put indoor/outdoor carpet on it.

Now it’s a hell of a jump, it’s a good thing because the two ramps have never quite lined up right, it gives it a little character.
That sure turned out like a nice trail stunt :D

·
beer thief
4,925 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
that'd be one sweet log pile ride. Build over it and cut a path through for newbies:) Nice and fun!
Even better as a log ride, that baby is a monster. Peel the bark and build an entry & exit with a minor reroute. Or do what we did and use a come-a-long to line it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
GCM said:
Came across this on a ride this weekend. Don't see too many trees this big in Ct…

Well, I haven't ridden lately, but this one should be a big obstacle for everyone,eh? This pic was taken in Siem Reap where they filmed the Tomb Raider.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,806 Posts
michigantammy said:
Well, I haven't ridden lately, but this one should be a big obstacle for everyone,eh? This pic was taken in Siem Reap where they filmed the Tomb Raider.
That sure is one big waterbar drop :rolleyes:

:lol:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
radair said:
Even better as a log ride, that baby is a monster. Peel the bark and build an entry & exit with a minor reroute. Or do what we did and use a come-a-long to line it up.
I like your "entry & exit with minor reroute" idea - brings a new definition to the trem "skinny" - even I could ride that one. As for the "come-a-long" idea to line it up - whoa, that would sure take some 'doing'.

I know, next time I see that group of 10 Quad riders I'll ask 'em to hook up some tow-lines and pull it in-line with the trail - maybe they could do some good for a change.

·
Registered
203 Posts
radair said:
Tammy! Welcome back!

Thanks, Radair. Yes, it's just about 2 legs.... I hope I still can bike. It seems so long ago that I've done it. I might forget how ;) . Hopefully, I can ride in the spring. I just don't like winter riding as much. I can't take the cold. Not like you, riding on ice. You're my hero!

·
Registered
330 Posts
no need to bunny hop those trees

There's no need to bunny hop those trees, just buy a 29er and according to the zealots you should be able to roll right over them ;) :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts