Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· spec4life???..smh...
1,089 Posts
Well your right. When you see a FS bike at that price there is reason to be skeptical.

It looks to me that they have thrown every penny of the bike build into a nice rear shock and a decent, though not great, fork.

The rest of the componets are very very bottom of the barrel. Including the derailuers and wheelset. Not to mention the horrible brakes.

Seems like iron horse does this alot though. They throw componets on there that most beginners recognize and want. Then back them up with junk that a starter wouldnt look at. Such as the shock and fork being decent and also a beginner would see the disk and think "what a bike". However, the rest is junk and the disk are worse than most vbrakes.

The moral of the story is at this price range stick with a hardtail. If you are stuck on a FS bike, the only one to consider close to this price is the Giant yukon fx.

· ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
drain bamage said:
Just all mountain riding I will be doing but some like 6 feet of air maximum later on. Will this bike come preassembled or not?
LOL 6" is good air time. :thumbsup: Sounds like your debating between DH or FR possibly both. The bike will be a good entry level for the price to get you rolling just remember that it will be needing upgrading as time goes on which can work in your favor in the long run. As a budget bike gets upgrades go for better quality to meet your needs this way when your ready to step it up to a few more levels you can buy a frame and swap parts. :cornut:

The bike comes in a box so there will be some assemble required but it's all basic stuff you will need to know anyway. :rockon:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm

· spec4life???..smh...
1,089 Posts
dogonfr said:
LOL 6" is good air time. :thumbsup: Sounds like your debating between DH or FR possibly both. The bike will be a good entry level for the price to get you rolling just remember that it will be needing upgrading as time goes on which can work in your favor in the long run. As a budget bike gets upgrades go for better quality to meet your needs this way when your ready to step it up to a few more levels you can buy a frame and swap parts. :cornut:

The bike comes in a box so there will be some assemble required but it's all basic stuff you will need to know anyway. :rockon:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/index.htm
Wow..Dogonfr i usually have great respect for your responses but it seems you are leading this poor man astray.

How on the earth do you see this as a good deal. A nice hardtail like the rockhopper would be much better and more evenly speced than this bike..:confused:

Can you enlighten me to your reasoning....:skep:

· ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
spec4life said:
Wow..Dogonfr i usually have great respect for your responses but it seems you are leading this poor man astray.

How on the earth do you see this as a good deal. A nice hardtail like the rockhopper would be much better and more evenly speced than this bike..:confused:

Can you enlighten me to your reasoning....:skep:
He doesnt have allot of money to spend, he wants a FS, his intentions are to be the next Cam Mccall, it is a SP and can handle allot, he can get it delivered to his door for $550. :thumbsup:

For what he is looking to do he needs a $2000+ bike, with his budget get what will work. Will he break and manhandle the bike and it's components, yes. He sounds young with ambition and determination after watching Red Bull Rampage, let him enjoy life. :thumbsup:

· Registered
138 Posts
I've gotta agree with dogonfr. If the guy wants a FS, there is no reason to demand he start on a hard-tail. It seems that a lot of people are demanding that new riders start on a HT, and I really think it doesn't matter. Of course, this is a controversial issue around here...

IMO, the bike is very decent for the price listed. My biggest concern is the low-quality front and rear deraileur. These are critical parts and are of pretty low quality. Even after one season of my Deore rear derailleur, the thing turned to junk. I'm always wary of anything of Shimano's drivetrain line that is below Deore (i.e., Alivio, Acera, Altus).

That being said, you should always focus on the frame first. This is the most critical aspect of any bike. As long as you have a solid frame, upgrading is easy (although not necessarily cost-effective in the long term depending...)

Iron Horse has a good reputation and I think that'll be a great entry-level bike.

· spec4life???..smh...
1,089 Posts
Its not that I am demanding he start on a hardtail because I somehow think that is the law of cycling that everyone start on a HT. Its the fact that you can get way more for your money. Instead of the entire budget being sunk into the suspension, as it is on this bike, there is money to be spread around to have decent parts all the way around.

Also, as I said earlier if he is stuck on a FS bike then look at the Giant yukon FX. Not every dime is spent on the susp. on that bike but is more evenly distributed and can be had new around 850. Also If you must have a Fs i would go used.

· Registered
85 Posts
If you are concerned about some of the components: how about this bike for $720 with no tax and free shipping?

http://www.rscycle.com/2009-Iron-Horse-Warrior-6-0

Specifications
Frame: 5" TRAVEL TRAIL DUAL SUSPENSION, SINGLE PIVOT W/ SEALED BEARINGS, 1-1/8" ZERO STACK HEADTUBE, REPLACEABLE DERAILLEUR HANGER, INTERNATIONAL DISC BRAKE MOUNT
Fork: ROCK SHOX TORA 289, U-TURN 85MM-130MM TRAVEL
Rear Shock: SR/SUNTOUR RS-8 EPICON AIR, 7.5"X2"
Front Derailleur: SUN RACE FDM90, 34.9MM CLAMP
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Shifters: SRAM X.5 TRIGGER
Brakes Levers: HAYES STROKER RYDE
Brakes: HAYES STROKER RYDE
Chain: KMC Z72
Crankset: FSA ALPHA DRIVE, 15-17"=170MM, 19-21"=175MM
Cassette: SRAM PG-850, 11/34T, 8 SPEED
Pedals:

Bottom Bracket: FSA POWER DRIVE, 73X113MM
Headset: NO 10, ZEROSTACK
Saddle: WTB PURE V SPORT
Seat Post: EASTON EA30, 30.0MM
Handlebar: EASTON EA30, LOW RISE, 685MM, 31.8MM CLAMP
Grips: VELO VLG-311 125MM, BLACK KRATON
Stem: EASTON EA30, 31.8MM CLAMP
Tires: WTB WEIRWOLF, 2.35" FRONT/2.1" REAR
Wheelset: WTB SX24, 32H/ALLOY DISC, 32H
Weight: 34.72 (17")
Color: WHITE SATIN

· renaissance cyclist
309 Posts
Ya known I just bought a bike and I was debating between the Yukon FX and the 08 model of this bike. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/fullsuspension/dakarxcr/09_dakarxc_spec.html.

I ended up with the Jamis, it looks basically the same only it has a Fox Vanilla R coil shock.

It is a little heavy, but it was on sale for $650, and I figured that the frame was decent enough that it would eventually be worth upgrading to a lighter fork, and rear shock. Would the Yukon FX have been a better choice? The best deal I could find on that one was $800.

· ride hard take risks
25,256 Posts
As RS pointed out the more you spend the better the components. :thumbsup:

s4l if the guy wants a FS a SP like the IH is awesome, I have seen them take a beating on some DH trails and survive. :thumbsup:

The other bikes are XC bikes that wouldnt hold up to aggressive riding the OP is talking about, I really like Jamis they offer a great bang for the buck bike. :cornut:

Buy what you can afford and that you feel is calling your name and that will be the best bike on the trail. :rockon:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.