Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a wheelset currently laced up by the wheelbuilder/schoolkid (?) at 123bikes.com. Does anyone know whether they make a solid build or whether I should get my local wheelsmith to give them a onceover when I get them.

Cheers!

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,165 Posts
I had my last set done up by them in January (Mavic 819 to Kings). No problems at all.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Juan Solo said:
I am getting a wheelset currently laced up by the wheelbuilder/schoolkid (?) at 123bikes.com. Does anyone know whether they make a solid build or whether I should get my local wheelsmith to give them a onceover when I get them.

Cheers!
I don't know about their wheels but their bike builds are excellent. Great attention to detail. Neat hydraulic hose routing using a straight fitting instead of banjo for the Hope Mini rear caliper (The Hope tech at Norba races recognized it as a 123 build). Small things like black and silver spacers under the stem, alternating colors and the King logos lined up on the upper and lower cups. That just shows me the mechanic cared about his work. They did cut too much off the seatpost but sent me a brand new Thomson to replace it for no extra charge.

Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't think there is a wheel builder out there that would not recommend you riding your new wheels hard for 10-20miles and then going through the wheels again. Pre-stressing the spokes will not account for all the forces the spokes "see" while under the load/unload of riding. Lazer sharp wheels are always inpected and adjusted on a regular basis, the netter the build normally yeilds to very little adjustment that are needed.

Nate

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 123 Build is on the money thus far.

I just got a 123 King/Mavic Disc build, put about 30 pretty rough miles on it. This wheelset is a quality build. Spoke tension are well within specs, and the wheels are extremely true, even after some rough stuff. Dave at 123 says he has about 30 years building wheels, I believe him after my 1st inspection and my initiall rides.

I also bought a high end bike from them, titus switch (hope to do a review on it soon), and I echo the quality comments of the bike build that Dartman made. I am also pretty particular about things and these guys take care of you until you are happy..... example, were out of my tires, so they gave me 2 decent free tires and shipped right away so I would not have to wait.....

·
Registered
735 Posts
I bought an Intense from 123bikes about 3 years ago and it was my first high end bike. They did a great build on the bike and on the wheels. Great build and personable bike shop. When I showed to pick my bike up it wasn't quite done so Dave sent my wife and I next door to do some drinking and to put it on his tab. That was cool.

The only problems I had with the bike WERE NOT 123bikes' fault. I am not gonna get into the reasons why I dislike Intense bikes.

Bottom line, 123bikes did a good job.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Dave and his crew are OK with me!

I've got two CK wheelsets from 123bikes. The first set I ran for three years with very little truing required. Rims were history and sent the hubs back to be laced with 819's over a year ago. Now these are @ 1yr old and I just now had to true the back wheel. I'd say they are pretty darn good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.