Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently test rode a Giant Trance 3 650b. I like the spec and price of the bike I just didn't know what to think about how the bike handled? I testrode the Trance 3 and a Trek Remedy 7 side by side. In a Med the Giant fits me well at 5' 8", and so does the Trek in the same size. I just don't know what to think how the bike steers and turns? Kind of sharp and wildley if that makes any sense. The Remedy felt tight and solid but didn't feel as fast. I know the Trance would come more alive here on the trails in Colorado Springs, Co., and bring on a whole new level of feeling and handling. May be a 2nd test rideis in order. Wish I could demo the bike on the trail that would be sweet. Trying not to make a costly mistake like I did with a GT once, that bike and I did not get along.

I can get 10% off at my LBS on accessories and if I bought the Giant I would like to replace the wheel set with a Raceface Turbine set, LS Kev dropper, a new seat, happy with the drive train and will upgrade it when it breaks, and may be a new set of tires. I don't know about the size of the bar and would prefer 720mm, and Shimano XT trail pedals. So as you can tell I've been giving the Giant a lot of thought. he price allows for some sweet upgrades.

Most of my bikes are Trek a Fuel 26er, Stache and Superfly 100 Al Elite 29er,and a Raleigh Talus Comp 29er (she gets me around). Looking at adding another to the quiver. :cool:

·
WillWorkForTrail
4,989 Posts
I've ridden the Trance 3 as well. As far as the handling went, I noticed it like to be thrown into turns just as hard as you could, whether you were going fast or slow. I found it to be consistent and confidence inspiring. Sadly, the demo I went to hoping to ride a Remedy, they didn't have one in my size. I guess Trek needs a larger demo trailer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a Giant demo coming around June 1st in the city of Glennwood but it's like 3 1/2 hours away. Unless I decide to make it a cycling vacation. I will give the Trance 3 another test ride. My lbs has a basket of demo pedals and I noticed they had Crank Brothers and I already have shoes for those pedals.

I like the fact that the Giant has a 2 x 10 drive train. The Remedy is a 3 x10 and I was like wtf Trek? They nailed the drive train on the Stache, and they just need to carry that over to their other bikes. The other upgrade for either bike is better brakes. May be the new Sram or go with Shimano SLX.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts