Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Another festivus MIRACLE!
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a mountain biker that road rides sometimes during the week. Just got done with a ride and got up to 50mph. Fastest yet for me.

The thing is how easy it would be for me to become road meat. What if my tire blew is my biggest concern. Also I wonder if tires have a max speed also? I mean really - who really thinks about that when we're mtn bikers?

Anyways this is a bit off topic but it really makes you wonder what could go wrong at 50mph.

So - how fast have you gone? This is the back side going towards Almaden.

·
Slowest Rider
5,237 Posts
Oh yeah, I remember mine.

For me, it was just under 40 MPH, rubber side up.

I was coming down the dirt road in Santa Teresa from that little parking lot up on Bernal by IBM. The fire road there is steep and really wants you to let off brakes and have fun.

I was doing one of my fastest runs when I saw a hiker way ahead in front of me. So I slowed a little to just above 30 MPH maybe and tried to get over to the other side of the road. But I went through a little couple-inch gully hidden in the weeds. I instantly went upside down in the air while thinking this isn't right, and I bet it's going to hurt when I land. Then I hit the ground and rember the dirt/bike/blood/dirt/blood/bike swirling around for a while. The hiker wasn't hurt, but had an awful expression on his face while looking at me on the ground. I made it back a couple miles to home for a drive to an $8K ER visit with splints on every limb, road rash and pain everywhere, and several CAT scans. It was probably one of my worst MTB accidents.

·
Silence! I kill you!
3,049 Posts
Hey! I had my worst crash at ST also, except mine was on Rocky Ridge.

I know that little downhill well, I've hit 30something on that one as well.

There is a short little steep section on Mines that parallels the road, I've hit mid thirties on that one as well.

·
aka dan51
6,022 Posts
On dirt, I've hit 41mph.
On road, 56mph on a MTB with slicks doing the Death Ride when I was about 15. One of the stupidest things I've ever done. Road was open to cars at the time too.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Dropping off Skyline into Oaktown down that really steep hill. right around 45 mph. My buddy just whizzed past me. This is the same guy that got a speeding ticket coming down from Tilden (by the tunnel). 61 or 63mph.

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
You're talking about the IBM road that goes to Harry Rd?

bullit71 said:
I'm a mountain biker that road rides sometimes during the week. Just got done with a ride and got up to 50mph. Fastest yet for me.The thing is how easy it would be for me to become road meat. What if my tire blew is my biggest concern. Also I wonder if tires have a max speed also? I mean really - who really thinks about that when we're mtn bikers?
Oh I have thought about delamination several times while "speeding along" on asphalt.
Also - you're certain that your cyclometer is accurately programmed for your current tire size? What kinda tahrs you runnin'?

Rexxx

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
My personal top speed had to be around 55 mph on a rigid hardtail with slicks towing a BOB trailer. This would be the descent from the Black Forest into Zurich, Switzerland in 2005. We left Freiburg, Germany for a 13 mile highway DH run into Zurich and ended up passing tour buses and slower moving cars in the fast lane. I was drafting traffic. I thought about death but was having the time of my life and knew that I'd be okay if I just held on! I actually reached a point where I was no longer accelerating and could just cruise at that speed. I remember that moment all too well.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The road that you are talking about dropping down from IBM is very fast. The last time I did it (which was a year or two ago) I think I hit high 30's. On the dirt downhill that drops down from the parking lot, I have gone no brakes a few times and all those times, I've come very close to eating it badly. Luckily, no crashes there yet!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Slightly off topic...

Crashing without gloves on the road at about 40 mph with a road bike after watching Tour De France...my palms got completely de-skinned. Not to mention the road rash and the holes in my shorts.

Surprisingly the bike was more than alright with the handlebar tape cut up a bit.

At this kind of speed, the thing to worry about is not so much if your tire blows, but if there are uneven surface pavement that can knock you off balance.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A friend of mine has a spot in Lime Ridge that he has hit 54. Last year I hit 50. There is a turn at the bottom and it takes a bit of knowlege to know when you HAVE to hit the brakes. I chickened out and grabbed brakes too soon the times before. Trail and wind conditions are a factor as well. The last time I rode it I only hit 42 because of the loose and bumpy conditions. One thought that went through my head was, "Did I check my front quick release before the ride?"

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
bullit71 said:
I'm a mountain biker that road rides sometimes during the week. Just got done with a ride and got up to 50mph. Fastest yet for me.

The thing is how easy it would be for me to become road meat. What if my tire blew is my biggest concern. Also I wonder if tires have a max speed also? I mean really - who really thinks about that when we're mtn bikers?

Anyways this is a bit off topic but it really makes you wonder what could go wrong at 50mph.

So - how fast have you gone? This is the back side going towards Almaden.
51mph offroad - coming down mnt diablo.

·
Registered
534 Posts
not quite 40 on dirt, shortly before I pulled the big ring off. 42 on the road bike coming down the Dumbarton into Newark. There's *way* more left in that bike and it's scary smooth and stable... Methinks I aught to pull the big ring off that one too, before I find a big enough hill to really get going. I'm far too pretty for road rash :D

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
57 on the Kamikaze run at Mammoth, back in the early nineties:eekster:

48 at Northstar, around the same time. Two knee surgeries from that run. ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts

It was 100,000,000 miles per hour. Yeah, that's what it was. Did it on my parent's driveway when I was a kid in second grade. All the other kids were astonished, but not me, I had it in me to go that fast. Last time I computed my speed, I was slower than molasses and I did fall off a curb which lead to many cuts, bruises and a few broken bones not to mention the laughs of the little punks who did some tricks on my bloody body while I was laying there thinking "What the heck are these bastards doing to me, I can't even swat them off their bikes". What was I talking about? Oh yeah, going fast. Haven't done that in some time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.