1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
MKD said:
1) How many miles?

2) How much climbing?

3) What gear ratio?
I'm not sure of the acutal miles, but my Saturday ride is between 2.5 -3 hours with LOTS of climbing and of course, LOTS of downhill. Here is Boise ID, most of the trails require one to do a bit of climbing. I run a 34x18.

·
Master of the Obvious
497 Posts
Till I get There

My shortest ride I do is 12 miles,
My average is 25 miles a ride
My longest is 98 miles
we are doing 55+ miles this Sunday
I live in The Chicago Area not much elevation here some trails have small climbs but no long epic climbs.
As for gearing I run 34x18 mostly on my 29er and 36x16 on my 26er

·
Registered
230 Posts
'bout the same as any other bike...

MKD said:
1) How many miles?

2) How much climbing?

3) What gear ratio?
I haven't really found myself adjusting my riding habits specifically for singlespeed other than the fact that I don't shift down and spin on climbs ;).

All the rides I used to do on my geared bike, I now do on my singlespeed. Mid-week rides are generally 15 - 17 mi. I like to try to get 30 miles or better in on weekend rides.

Climbing, about the same as my usual rides. Don't really know the elevation gain, but there's not a whole lot of super steep stuff around here. I ride 34:17 and there's nothing I have to walk on my normal rides that I wouldn't be walking on a gearie. There is one climb that I do on Wednesday nights sometimes that's pretty tough on a singlespeed. It's a stand-up-and-grunt for a solid 2 miles kinda thing.

Of course, having said all that, the last time I went elsewhere to ride (Gooseberry Mesa in Utah last spring.) I brough my FS gearie. I'm guessing if we had more technically challenging terrain around here I'd probably ride a geared FS bike a lot more often than I do. I feel almost guilty for neglecting my FS so badly. It's been in a state of disassembly since finishing up a tour last summer. I just haven't found the time or motivation to overhaul the poor thing. I'm not "anti-gears" just lazy when it comes to wrenching, so singlespeeds are perfect for me ;).

-Trevor

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MKD said:
1) How many miles?

2) How much climbing?

3) What gear ratio?
Same as any other bikes I have owned, maybe more so.
1) 0.1 - 100+
2) 1 - 20,000'+
3) usually 36 x 21

Flatter rides are actually more difficult than lots of climbs/descents.

·
-arschloch-
867 Posts
MKD said:
1) How many miles?

2) How much climbing?

3) What gear ratio?
1 - i have no idea, but i do the same rides i do (used to do) on my geary.

2 - nothing really epic, super long or steep in this part of germany, but lots of smallish rolling stuff. the ss is ideal for what is considered climbing around here.

3 - 34 x 18. it's a comfy gear on anything other than flats or mild downslopes. i think i can turn the cranks at like 500 rpm now. :rolleyes:

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
MKD said:
1) How many miles?

2) How much climbing?

3) What gear ratio?
Anywhere from 8-14 miles on average for my local trails. More if I have the time.

I'm in Ohio - so not much - more short steep stuff than anything... nothing around here that has miles of up hills.

I usually run a 34x20 but currenty I'm running a 34x18

FF

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have riding both my geared FS and SS equally depending on ......

how steep the ride is going to be. I ride anywhere from 8-30 miles with lots of climbing. I am currently using a 32:16, but I am considering going to an 18 do to the amount of climbing. My last ride had a 1000 ft elevation gain in 1.2 miles, oh my god. Will I notice that much of a difference with an 18? Thanks for all the input. MKD

·
www.justthebonnet.com
1,475 Posts
5-20 miles

Some climbing yes, not sure of elevation

32:18 usually

Went down to Slatyfork, WV, brought the SS but the trails were so technical it would have been self-punishing to ride the SS, so it became my outhouse runner.

·
Birdman aka JMJ
1,081 Posts
I'll bite

1) How many miles? Usually only 15 to 20 miles per ride.

2) How much climbing? About 30%. I haven't GPSed the routes though.

3) What gear ratio? 34:17

BTW: What & where: rigid titanium Litespeed, in central NJ.

JMJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.