Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it seems im having trouble finding the correct settings for my manitou minute 1:00. when i achieve the right amount of sag for XC (according to the manual), i find that i can bottom out the fork by standing on the bike while riding and bobbing/jumping up and down while pushing all my weight on the front fork. It doesnt take an overly great amount of effort to bottom out the fork. Now, it never bottoms out while XC riding, as my entire weight is never distributed with such force to the front fork while normal riding, but it just doesnt feel entirely right being ABLE to bottom the fork out, even when trying.

of course, maybe thats how it should be, but im afraid its damaging the fork, or not using it to its full potential. when it comes to jumping, dropping, i will definately need to do something about it. but for you guys, how easily do you bottom out, if you try and if you ride normally?

im beginning to do some light jumps and im realizing that the minute is bottom out upon landing and so i need to increase the resistance with one of the following methods:

1) increase SPV (im not sure this will work, as i dont know exactly how it affects spring rate)
2) decrease SPV Volume (increases progressive spring rate to resist bottoming out. might leave fork feeling harsh?)
3) reinsert the booster coil i took out (with the booster coil in, i have no where even near the reccomended sag even for XC. i only get 15-17mm sag at the absolute lowest pressure, 30psi when 27-30mm sag is reccomended. but when i dont have the booster coil, i can bottom out easily...mind you im 130 lbs if that explains anything)

any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Okay, here's the solution to your problem....

dslfoolish said:
it seems im having trouble finding the correct settings for my manitou minute 1:00. when i achieve the right amount of sag for XC (according to the manual), i find that i can bottom out the fork by standing on the bike while riding and bobbing/jumping up and down while pushing all my weight on the front fork. It doesnt take an overly great amount of effort to bottom out the fork. Now, it never bottoms out while XC riding, as my entire weight is never distributed with such force to the front fork while normal riding, but it just doesnt feel entirely right being ABLE to bottom the fork out, even when trying.

of course, maybe thats how it should be, but im afraid its damaging the fork, or not using it to its full potential. when it comes to jumping, dropping, i will definately need to do something about it. but for you guys, how easily do you bottom out, if you try and if you ride normally?

im beginning to do some light jumps and im realizing that the minute is bottom out upon landing and so i need to increase the resistance with one of the following methods:

1) increase SPV (im not sure this will work, as i dont know exactly how it affects spring rate)
2) decrease SPV Volume (increases progressive spring rate to resist bottoming out. might leave fork feeling harsh?)
3) reinsert the booster coil i took out (with the booster coil in, i have no where even near the reccomended sag even for XC. i only get 15-17mm sag at the absolute lowest pressure, 30psi when 27-30mm sag is reccomended. but when i dont have the booster coil, i can bottom out easily...mind you im 130 lbs if that explains anything)

any suggestions?
And it is none of the above that you have listed. The Manitou Minute 1 comes stock with a Medium spring intended for a 170 to 190lb rider. That's why you had to take out the booster coil to get the proper sag, and the removal of the coil is why you can bottom the fork so easily. What you need to do is find an LBS/Manitou dealer in your area and go purchase an Xsoft ride kit for 130 to 150lb riders. The booster gives the fork a more progressive spring rate and helps resist bottoming out and retain more normal SPV settings at the same time. That's not to say that you won't have to decrease the SPV volume slightly anyway as jumps do require more progression in the fork stroke to ease bottoming. But it would require less of a decrease than leaving the fork as it is now and help retain your small bump sensitivity.

As for how often you should bottom the fork, that depends on the hits that you take on a given ride. General rule of thumb is, you should only bottom the fork on the VERY BIGGEST hits that you take if it is set up properly that is. Maybe once or twice a ride, and you should never feel the fork bottom out. If you feel it then you are bottoming out too harshly and can damage the fork. If you are starting to take more jumps and intend to continue to do so I would recommend perhaps going one spring rate up from the recommended spring for your weight. As I said above the Xsoft 130 to 150 is what is recommended. Hardcore jumpers will often use one rate above what is recommended by the fork manufacturer, this would be a Soft Kit rated for 150 to 170lb riders in your case. This gives you an extra margin of safety should you case a landing and really hammer the fork.

The bottom line is you need to get a spring kit appropriate to your weight so that you can set the fork back up the way it is supposed to be. With modern forks it is never a good idea to "modify" them. That booster spring is in there for a reason and you just found out what it is there for. So get your fork set back up the way it is supposed to be with the proper spring kit for your weight an I'll bet your problem will be solved.

Good Dirt

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
cxoffers said:
All depends how small she is!!!
you gotta be more specific... shorter, skinnier gals have a volume bottom out feature than make them bottomless, no matter the "spring" size.... taller ones are easier to bottom out. Don't ask me why... just what I've found. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.