Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always used Shimano components, never even tried SRAM. I am looking to purchase a bike with SRAM shifters, crank and rear derailleur (shimano brakes). How do you like todays NX and GX components? Are they quick, responsive and quiet shifting? Any problems? Thanks...

This is NOT a SRAM vs. Shimano thread.... (i already know shimano, i need opinions of those that have used both)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Agree with the above. GX is where you want to start if you have a choice. NX works fine but feels notably cheaper and less precise, and for whatever reason the RDs wear out and get sloppy much faster than GX. Cranks are good, but they are known for doing remarkably annoying things like using a 29mm shaft in their DUB system instead of standard 30mm, just to be jackasses.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,842 Posts
OP, like you, I'm a Shimano guy but my GF has two bikes equipped with SRAM GX drivetrains.
I actually think SRAM's shifters are more ergonomic than Shimano's.
She had a stubborn tick, tick, tick on one of her SRAM cassettes that required some detective work and precise grinding with a Dremel tool to eradicate, but whatever.
On the braking front, one of her bikes has Shimano brakes and the other has SRAM brakes.
I asked her which she likes better -- she says she doesn't notice a difference.
But I ride her bikes whenever I work on them and I sure as heck do.
=sParty

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
Agree with everyone else. I ran 2 fat bikes last winter with SX shifters and NX derailleurs. I had lots of issues keeping things running smoothly. I eventually gave up and swapped the shifters for an XX1 and an XO, and the rear d’s for GX (one was actually warrantied because the spring crapped the bed, a problem my LBS said they see often with NX).

If you can, I would definitely swap out anything NX and SX for GX and above (like everyone said above). GX is a decent rear d, although not as durable as XO. But the price hike from GX to XO is a big one. I went with XO and XX1 shifters because that’s all my LBS had.

The difference in the setups is night and day. So far, no continual button fiddling BS has been required with the replaced components. In fact, no tinkering at all has been required.

One thing about SRAM - subject to supply issues, getting things warrantied by them is a walk in the park. Which is good, because replacing SRAM OEM speced components is horrendously expensive. I have had countless SRAM components fail on me and invariably, SRAM has replaced the component with no questions asked. It helps that I have a very strong relationship with my LBS, who have always done all the stick handling for me, but still.

·
high pivot witchcraft
5,438 Posts
Which do you prefer?
He hates SRAM brakes. Lol.

I don’t. I own and enjoy them all. Various SRAM offerings, along with 4 pot XTs and SLXs (not that you asked me 😂). We live in such good times.

I am still getting counselling from my old Seattle based Curve brakes. Juxtaposed with the old days, almost everything now is incredible. Just a little different.

All IMHO of course. And unsolicited 😝.

·
Inspector Gadget
Nor*Cal and I like bikes
920 Posts
Got 6 bikes in the garage between my wife/kids and myself. 5 have SRAM and 1 is Shimano. I won’t run less than GX or SLX on my personal bikes. Like said already SX and NX are big steps down from GX. I have GX on one of my bikes and XO1 on the other. The XO1 bike shifts just a bit crisper. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the GX bikes shifting.

I would try for a bike with at least GX on it so you start with a wheelset that has the XD free hub driver. Starting with a SX/NX bike is ok I guess if you’re going to upgrade, just know you’ll have to upgrade wheels too for the XD driver. Which significantly adds to the cost you must spend all at once.

Regarding brakes, I’m one of those who actually prefers SRAM over Shimano. I hate the feel of Shimano brakes. I’ve learned how to bleed and maintain SRAM brakes properly, so that I don’t have the problems you always hear about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have tons of bikes in the house. Some with SRAM drives and others Shimano. I can say that the Shimano XT and XTR cassette wears faster than X0 and XX1. The little shimano gears do not last. It would be less if an issue if they had individual cogs available as replacements.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have always used Shimano components, never even tried SRAM. I am looking to purchase a bike with SRAM shifters, crank and rear derailleur (shimano brakes). How do you like todays NX and GX components? Are they quick, responsive and quiet shifting? Any problems? Thanks...

This is NOT a SRAM vs. Shimano thread.... (i already know shimano, i need opinions of those that have used both)
I rode a Sram equipped MTB for 10 years. 2 years ago I switched to a mountain bike with a Shimano transmission, and also bought a road bike with a SRAM transmission.

Shimano is better (and I'm not even talking about hydraulic brakes). Period.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
I rode a Sram equipped MTB for 10 years. 2 years ago I switched to a mountain bike with a Shimano transmission, and also bought a road bike with a SRAM transmission.

Shimano is better (and I'm not even talking about hydraulic brakes). Period.

10 y/o sram vs 2 y/o Shimano isn't exactly a fair comparison.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,842 Posts
I had a feeling you might be a Shimano guy. I go back and forth, both have some aspects of them that I prefer over the other.
Once I learned to quit stabbing my brakes in order to control my speed, I was able to take brake control to the next level.
This fundamental yet monumental change allowed me to convince myself that modulation is in the finger, not in the mechanism.
It's like squeezing the trigger of a gun.
I admit to some degree, the placement of modulation is a belief but for each and every one of us, our beliefs make up our reality.
So believing that modulation is in the finger works for me.
Back when I used to stab my brakes, this awful phenomenon was at its worst whenever I'd be fatigued near the end of long rides.
It was in my brain. I nearly crashed many times because of it.
I needed to evolve beyond doing that.
Don't know exactly how I learned to kick that brake stabbing habit to the curb but in any case I've done so and now uber powerful brakes -- what some call "on/off" brakes -- are my joy.
When a light touch is all that's necessary, I'm more comfortable and confident at speed.
=sParty

·
Registered
275 Posts
10 y/o sram vs 2 y/o Shimano isn't exactly a fair comparison.
As I said, I have a 2 y/o SRAM on my road bike and the conclusion is: they haven't learned anything in 10 years. And that's about the drivetrain.

Don't get me started on the brakes... I'm unable to wear a pair of pads without bleeding and messing with the brakes at least twice. They're like the old Avid Elixirs, but on a road bike.

·
Registered
16,008 Posts
As I said, I have a 2 y/o SRAM on my road bike and the conclusion is: they haven't learned anything in 10 years. And that's about the drivetrain.

Don't get me started on the brakes... I'm unable to wear a pair of pads without bleeding and messing with the brakes at least twice. They're like the old Avid Elixirs, but on a road bike.

Which road bike group? Like their mtb components I've found the upper level sram road groups to be excellent.

As far as brakes I spend at least as much time maintaining Shimano hydros as sram's. Both are far from perfect imo.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Giving me flashbacks to my Elixir 5's. I'm sure some bike tech deep in AVID's basement could get them to bleed up correctly but I could not, despite buying both the regular and "professional" kit to do it. Also, is there any valid reason to stick with DOT5.1? I'm riding a bicycle not a race car.

On a semi-related note - I've never had issues with any hub on a (modern) bike before except my SRAM hubs.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, all these replys boil down to personal preference it seems, all comes out even. And thats good. And it sounds like GX is my answer to start with anyway. I’m going to give SRAM a try, after 30 yrs with Shimano. Great replys by the way, no one is shouting or fighting! lol…

1 - 20 of 37 Posts