Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I thought it was cool when he snared a rabbit and ate everything but the fur. I think the Eskimos were looking after him in the Arctic by scaring away the Polar Bears.

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I just saw the arctic one. And the one in costa rica was pretty intense when he went into the jungle and kinda got screwed over. There is no way I could sleep there either with monster tarantulas scampering around like that....damn!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Man vs. Nature

I watch both shows, very similar. Bear was in a boat that sank in icy waters. He made the swim and explained how to get safe. He held out much longer that I could!

Ricisan

·
Canadian Invasion
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I havent seeen Man v.s Wild. But will check it out. I found survivor-man to be fairly nuts, if he got bit by a snake out in the jungle we'd have some nice footage of a doomed man. I wonder if he actually has more supplies on reserve than he says, like anti-venom etc. just in case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know which one it was, I think Man vs. Wild., I watched it for a while and enjoyed it. Then I saw the episode where he was in the Canadian Rocky Mountains He left camp in the middle of the night running down a steep mountain for fear that a grizzly bear might be in his camp. The next day he jumps off a clilff in to frigid water because "the grizzly won't follow me this way". I don't think he sets a very good example for others who could one day be stuck in the same situation. He just does stupid things in places where a rescue would be costly (probably to the taxpayers).

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
I like both shows...I personally think Survivorman dominates Man v Wild :p ...if just for the fact that Survivorman is filming all his on stuff...where as Man v Wild has a cameraman/crew with him.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The SS Boz said:
I like both shows...I personally think Survivorman dominates Man v Wild :p ...if just for the fact that Survivorman is filming all his on stuff...where as Man v Wild has a cameraman/crew with him.
And that is why he can do all that super silly/risky stuff. Has someone there to bail his dumb azz out if he really screws up. Still there is some good info to be had on the show, just have to weed out the showboating.

·
Registered
695 Posts
4212darren said:
I thought it was cool when he snared a rabbit and ate everything but the fur. I think the Eskimos were looking after him in the Arctic by scaring away the Polar Bears.
:p my wife said the same thing...she kept wondering where the oft-refernced polar bears were hiding:skep:...but dude pounded some raw seal, "slept" in the snow and started a fire with a rifle...

sad, i seem to know more about t.v. than bikes.:confused:

·
Registered
663 Posts
Flyfisherman said:
I don't know which one it was, I think Man vs. Wild., I watched it for a while and enjoyed it. Then I saw the episode where he was in the Canadian Rocky Mountains He left camp in the middle of the night running down a steep mountain for fear that a grizzly bear might be in his camp. The next day he jumps off a clilff in to frigid water because "the grizzly won't follow me this way". I don't think he sets a very good example for others who could one day be stuck in the same situation. He just does stupid things in places where a rescue would be costly (probably to the taxpayers).
i also saw that episode, and as an avid outdoorsman I felt that many of the things he did were very irresponsible, and would get the average person in that situation killed.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
The guy's canadian and so's the show (survivor man) but I gather OLN is only recently running it in america (we've had it for 2 years) or something ? There's another show on OLN canada now called ManTracker, also all filmed in canada. If it isn't being covered by OLN's US network yet it probably will be in a season or two. You boys will like it also. It went thru most of the season before any of the teams beat the guy, and it was an all-girl team that did it first.

One tip about firestarting I haven't see Les do on survivorman yet which all former pyros who live near pine forests probably have figured out on their own is that the sap of a pine tree is very flammable, and burns for quite a long time (and its also a black sooty smoke which can be used for signaling). You can often find it easily on the trunks of pine trees where branches have been broken off (either by the wind, animals, ice damage, etc). It'll often drip down and form waxy clumps that stick to the trunk and then harden over as a scab on the trunk. You can break them free with a sharp rock, edge of a stick, knife, hell fingers if you get lucky. Its easily lit with matches or a small bic lighter and can be used to get a good fire going with even damp wood, at least until such time as the heat dries out the major wood sources you might plan to use.

Sections of bike innertubes and patchkit glue also make for great firestarting materials, and if really neccessary to have a VERY bright light source to attract attention, you can always resort to sacrificing a bike part made of magnesium like most fork sliders. A small wood fire will get hot enough to ignite fork lowers (do take them apart first, or cut a chunk off the brace) in about 10 mins. When it ignites... it burns as bright as an arc light (intense white) and cab be seen for miles and miles at night, and even extremely long distances during the day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's been a long while since I posted here but this is a great thread to get back into it.

As far as I'm concerned Survivor Man is THE ONLY "reality" show worth watching. You can take all that Hollywood psycho other reality crud and flush it.

I'm sure SM has an ELT packed away if things go REALLLY bad but he's been out in some nasty stuff and hasn't resorted to it yet. And there's no doubt that he could easily turn up dead in some of those episodes.

There was one episode where they did a special on how the show is made. And he spent a fair amount of time dwelling on the fact that it would be a LOT easier if he didn't have to film at the same time. Some of those shots would take a couple of hours by the time he films himself fading into the distance and then comes back and gets the camera.

I don't watch much TV but when I trip over a new for me episode it's couch time until the credits roll.

There's no glitz and glamour but it's real. And that's a very rare commodity in today's TV.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.