Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a set of 29er wheels. One set I have looked at have narrow rims, 18mm. Is this a bad idea if I would like to fun 2.2s?
Thanks for any recommendations.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
alot. have ridden mavic 223 rims, 717 rims & crossmax sl rims - all pretty narrow, all handle similar. have been racing on ZTR race rims, MUCH better handling and tires are far more stable even at very low tire pressures.

wide rims handle better IMO.

·
Advanced Slacker
15,409 Posts
chumbacabra said:
I am looking at getting a set of 29er wheels. One set I have looked at have narrow rims, 18mm. Is this a bad idea if I would like to fun 2.2s?
Thanks for any recommendations.
Assuming 18mm refers to inner diameter (ID), that is wide enough for a 2.2.

However, to answer your question, I don't know if a little extra width makes a difference, but assuming the rim is beefier as well, the stiffness makes a difference. I really noticed a change when I switched from rims with 17mm ID to 21mm ID (same hubs, brand/model spokes, bike setup, etc.)

·
ups and downs
15,600 Posts
Generally if the rim is wider, the tire profile is wider with less cantilever of the sidewalls over the rim, so it is less prone to pinchflats and that can often mean you can run a lower pressure without the tire rolling over on the rim and without pinch flatting as often.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.