Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just Wondering how some people have there VT2's attached to there bike racks, on there cars, and if theres a wrong way of doing it. Im not wanting to kill my new bike, and being a newbie to the sport i was just wating some help on this subject.

ill try to put a pic of how i have mine if i can figure it out how to do that. :confused:

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Roof rack, hitch rack or trunk rack?

I carry mine on the roof but there's an adapter made by Yakima and others that will grab the seatpost and stem and you can hang it from there using a hitch or trunk rack.

Did I answered your question?

·
Displaying UGI Symptoms
184 Posts
DiRt DeViL said:
Roof rack, hitch rack or trunk rack?

I carry mine on the roof but there's an adapter made by Yakima and others that will grab the seatpost and stem and you can hang it from there using a hitch or trunk rack.

Did I answered your question?
Ya - my VT is on a Yakima Trunk Rack. If your are going with a trunk rack, you will need a Yakima Top Tube (about $20) that creates a straight bar between the top of your seat post and just under the handle bar. Then this top tube hangs on the Yakima Trunk Rack. My top tube is actually made by Saris I think. If you do go with a Trunk Rack, spend the extra couple of bucks on the one that also grabs on to your seat post so the bike does not swing and hit the car. It works great. You may want to cosider a roof rack though.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys but i should have been more detailed on what my set-up is like here are some pics and the area with the yellow circles around them are the areas that i have the most concern about.....and i cant have a roof system because my car is a convertible.

if u can help me with info it would be awesome thanks :D

Attachments

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
Have you considered a hitch rack? It will work with the bar that Yakima and Saris make and will avoid scratches on that nice beemer.

Have you tried putting the right leg thru the wheel and under the seatstay?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
AdamVT2 said:
I was just Wondering how some people have there VT2's attached to there bike racks, on there cars, and if theres a wrong way of doing it. Im not wanting to kill my new bike, and being a newbie to the sport i was just wating some help on this subject.

ill try to put a pic of how i have mine if i can figure it out how to do that. :confused:
Go get a towbar fitted to the BMW, then get yourself a towbar rack. They work much better that the one you have on there.

I used to carry three bikes on my car using a towbar rack, until I got my van. Now I just put the bikes inside the van. :)

But i really think that a towbar rack is the way for you to go.

R.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DiRt DeViL said:
Have you considered a hitch rack? It will work with the bar that Yakima and Saris make and will avoid scratches on that nice beemer.

Have you tried putting the right leg thru the wheel and under the seatstay?
that sounds like it might work better ill try doing that....just hope it does not sit to high

cant put a hitch on i already spent to much on the bike no more to spend :(

·
Displaying UGI Symptoms
184 Posts
Rainman said:
Go get a towbar fitted to the BMW, then get yourself a towbar rack. They work much better that the one you have on there.

I used to carry three bikes on my car using a towbar rack, until I got my van. Now I just put the bikes inside the van. :)

But i really think that a towbar rack is the way for you to go.

R.
I agree that getting a tow bar fitted then using a tow rack would be the best bet for you and your convertable. However, the trunk rack that you have should work fine. And you shouldn't have to hang the bike the way that you do now. Take a look at the trunk rack instructions. Hopefully it is adjustable and you can set it up correctly for your specific car. Then get the top tube (Yakima, Thule, Saris, whatever). Put it on the VT. Then hang the bike by the top tube on to your trunk rack. If the trunk rack is adjusted corectly on to the car, the bike will hang just fine with plenty of room to the pavement. Nice bike :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.