Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those who have ridden both, how does Muir compare to the trails at Crystal Ridge/Alpha (only "real" trail I've been on)? Specifically the white and orange loops of Muir. I'm looking at a map and it shows the white as being "advanced" and orange "difficult". No map or rating system exists for Crystal/Alpha.

Has anyone ridden both?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
I need skills
1,069 Posts
differences

the biggest difference is the amount of land available to use. Alpha/crystal puts a lot trail in a small area. Muir puts a lot more trail in a much, much larger area. You'll turn less per mile at Muir. I suppose the Muir trail may have a bit more challenge to them, specifically parts of the connector trail.

Once you get to Muir, you'll notice the setting is different too. :)

I wouldn't use the colors to compare difficulty at Muir, the trails there are all similar, any difficulty differences may be in length.

have fun.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you can ride Crystal Ridge handling-wise, you'll be fine at Muir. The only difference would be endurance. Rides can get much longer at Muir unless you're making 3 laps at Crystal Ridge.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!

I'm planning rides for this summer with my friends. I was planning on starting out with the blue loop, but I may start out with one of the smaller loops just to get the feel.

-Bryan

·
=========
1,869 Posts
Bryank930 said:
Just for clarification, this is the map that I was looking at earlier:

http://my.execpc.com/~jwamser/SouthernKettles/JohnMuirMap2007.pdf

Does this seem accurate at all??
Not very accurate any more...lots of new trail building has occurred. I suggest you come to some trail days this spring and meet some kettle regulars for the best introduction. Look for an announcement of trail care meetings in early March.

g

·
Registered
461 Posts
Crystal Ridge is a lot tighter than John Muir. I find riding CR made me a better rider, because in order to keep your speed you have to set up and accelerate out of corners more so than Muir. You can really get into a groove going from one corner to another. At Muir, I find I can carry more speed through corners and the turns are generally more spread out than at CR. Which isn't to say one is better than the other. Just different.

There is more up and down riding at Muir where as at CR you mainly have two bigger climbs and one big decent. Although Crystal ridge probably has more elevation change.

Another difference is at Muir you are out in a State Forest riding over rocks, dirt and roots. At CR you are riding on discarded chunks of concrete and asphalt, drainage pipes and other man made materials.

I like them both and find that over the course of a riding season riding both helps me not get sick of either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.