Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
Good photo but images are deceiving. Belly breathing makes alot of pros look like they just polished off a plate or two of frites and washed them down with a pint. Lance passed within 3 feet of me on Brasstown Bald Mountain and he looked fine.

I'd say he looks just as good as anybody else at this point. There's still 2 months to go.

Compare the pic from last year:

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
It seems when people doubt Lance, that is when he is the strongest..I am speaking mainly of the media, "professional bike commentoators" and his Tour de France competitos. I wish him well!

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paolo needs a good team behind him, as well as promotion to GC, and even then, he'll need to evolve to a long stage rider. He is certainly among the very best short stage race rider for a few years now.
I keep getting behind Vinnie, but he keeps letting me down, or getting hurt.
Basso is definitely dangerous. With a strong team behind him, he could win easily.

I hope that is ~normal weight for Lance at this time of year.
I wasn't at the race, so didn't see him live. All i have to say is that is a big tummy, full breath or not. I don't want to get into an argument over it. I was mainly wanting to share a nice pic of a current event.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
The wheels are not round.

The image looked strange to me, sort of skewed, so I measured it and the wheels are out of round. That is a function of a poorly executed pan. The distortion is not that obvious but the effect is weird and undermines the image. I think he looks terrible. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with his future at the Tour.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Here is a corrected image

The wheels are now round but he still looks terrible. He actually looks kinda "Fred." Maybe it is the sox. Maybe he is starting to look human; vulnerable. The impression of an image is a hard thing to shake.

Attachments

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
You know he's never really looked "good" on the bike, that's what I find kinda amusing. His flexability is not good, his position seems terrible yet he's still fast as sh*t. Another funny anectdote, Here in SoCal there is this guiy named Thurlow Rodgers who used to race for LaVie Claire in the 80's (with Hinault) and later rode for a number of good domestic squads, he now races primarily masters. I've been next to him or behind in races and the guy looks like a total kook on the bike, kinda chubby, flailing around and bouncing on the saddle, you'd swear he was a new rider, that is until he rides every damn person off his wheel, he even gives the local pros a good kicking. You never know.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Rivet said:
Another funny anectdote, Here in SoCal there is this guiy named Thurlow Rodgers ... I've been next to him or behind in races and the guy looks like a total kook on the bike, kinda chubby, flailing around and bouncing on the saddle, you'd swear he was a new rider, that is until he rides every damn person off his wheel, he even gives the local pros a good kicking. You never know.
Back in the day racing with Lance was no treat, a 17 year old with Subaru-Montgomery kit still haunts my dreams. Now I get hammered by Tommy Matush (former 7-11) in the same fashion you described with Rodgers. At least Bobby Mionske is busier in the courtroom now he makes few appearances on a bike.

·
Shreddin the Cul de Sac
491 Posts
Every year Lance sandbags and plays possum in the races leading up to the tour. Even during some tour stages, he has used dramatics to to give his opponents a false sense of security.
I wouldn't read much into how he looks in this race or that. July is put up or shut up time.

I will say though that the new uniforms look like crapola. Bring back the Blue Train.

·
The Uber Carnivore
360 Posts
Vino has no chance for the GC.

Caffeine Powered said:
Lance who? Basso, Vinokourov & Bettini
He can't do it by himself, and Ullrich, Kloden, and Zabel won't pedal one stroke for him. Zabel would be the uber-domestique on the flats, and Kloden the same in the mountains. Ullrich could do either. If they worked for him, he'd get a podium spot, and maybe the yellow. Working by himself, I'll bet on at least one stage win for Vino.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Lance always looks thick in the torso. Big lungs need big room.

I'm not some rabid Lance fan that thinks he is unbeatable, but if I were a betting man I would have to lay money on him. He can cilmb and TT with the best of them, has a very strong team and just plain knows how to win the Tour.

Every year about this time all the doubters come out of the woodwork with charges that he is not focused, not ready, washed up, etc. then every year he comes out and crushes em'.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Is it just me or does it look like he has a vest or something on under his jersey? The lines on his back appear as if he has layers on under his jersey possibly making him look thicker. Plus he always schedules his peak for the Tour so if he was in top form now, he wouldn't be as good in July.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
The wheels are now round but he still looks terrible. He actually looks kinda "Fred." Maybe it is the sox. Maybe he is starting to look human; vulnerable. The impression of an image is a hard thing to shake.
maybe he's just cycling on two wheels insead of cycling his 'juice' intake...... ;)

G

·
Lance is getting older and his focus may not be as sharp as in past years. Still, he is a fierce competitor, is rounding into shape and has a very strong team. The competition is going to be tough this year, there are riders who can beat him. However, he is the reigning champion, he knows how to win the Tour and it's the kind of race where experience is a huge advantage.
I hope the Tour will be a battle every day and the riders must give it all they have. Perhaps Lance will be 20-30 seconds down in the last individual time trial when he comes back and wins by eight seconds or so. One final comeback, the mark of a true champion.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.