Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide on a bike, and something about the Genesis geometry really keeps bringing me back, but I would like to know how it feels. Does it stretch your back out more? Does it feel like you are stomping more? Does standing while climbing improve or diminish? I know, go to a LBS and try one, but I would love to hear a concensus.

Thanks. DW

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
For me, it means I have to bend my elbows more to put more weight on the front wheel when cornering. Other than that, I don't see much difference. With the shorter than usual stem that comes with it, you have almost the same position as you would on another bike, it's just that your body is a little more toward the rear of the bike.

·
Registered
323 Posts
imho

portercat100 said:
I'm trying to decide on a bike, and something about the Genesis geometry really keeps bringing me back, but I would like to know how it feels. Does it stretch your back out more? Does it feel like you are stomping more? Does standing while climbing improve or diminish? I know, go to a LBS and try one, but I would love to hear a concensus.

Thanks. DW
The beauty of Genesis is that is doesn't change your riding position. Lets review: Genesis (for all intensive purposes) does two major things.
1. Shortens chain stay, which kicks the rear wheel up under you butt more.
2. Longer top-tube and shorter stem, which moves your center of gravity backwards on the bike a bit, thus putting more weight on the rear wheel...which again is closer to you.

Result...kick ass traction on the rear wheel, and less weight up front. This means you will climb better (more traction in rear), descend better (less weight up front so you won't go fly'n over the handle bars), and better handling (again less weight up front so it easier to steer). It does all of this without changing your riding position or stance...all it does is move you backwards a little bit. You can stand up and pound on the pedals all you want...again Genesis is a little change not a big one!

Affect...the most noticeable effect that people voice is the feeling that the front wheel is floating off the ground when you are doing a steep climb, or that the front wheel is popping up when you climb. it doesn't happen all the time, but this is a weird sensation if your not used to it, but once you ride Genesis for awhile you won't even think of it. Most people don't even notice Genesis. But some (who are very tuned in to their riding) notice some changes in the way the bike handles and feels. My Opinion...do a climb, and you will love Genesis.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
Affect...the most noticeable effect that people voice is the feeling that the front wheel is floating off the ground when you are doing a steep climb, or that the front wheel is popping up when you climb. it doesn't happen all the time, but this is a weird sensation if your not used to it, but once you ride Genesis for awhile you won't even think of it. Most people don't even notice Genesis. But some (who are very tuned in to their riding) notice some changes in the way the bike handles and feels. My Opinion...do a climb, and you will love Genesis.
For me, traction of front weel in steep climbs is the most important feature of frame geometry. You can cure it by movihg the center of gravity towards handlebars, but than you lose traction of the rear weel, so that is why I do not understand, whehe is the advantage of genesis geometry.

·
Registered
323 Posts
hmmm

monolink said:
For me, traction of front weel in steep climbs is the most important feature of frame geometry. You can cure it by movihg the center of gravity towards handlebars, but than you lose traction of the rear weel, so that is why I do not understand, whehe is the advantage of genesis geometry.
I believe your post is a bit too "all inclusive". My statement was not a blanket statement, as I said in my post most people don't notice Genesis, and have no adverse effects. Again I must stress that wheel float is a symptom that SOME riders feel...not all. It's up to the rider to make up their own mind about whether Genesis is right for them.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The_Real_Cyclesmith said:
I believe your post is a bit too "all inclusive". My statement was not a blanket statement, as I said in my post most people don't notice Genesis, and have no adverse effects. Again I must stress that wheel float is a symptom that SOME riders feel...not all. It's up to the rider to make up their own mind about whether Genesis is right for them.
Let's just say that some people, like me, had to adjust their position on the bike because of the lighter weight on the front wheel. Personnaly, I think the climbing traction is incredible but the front end tends to wander around a bit more and fast corners need more attention, you really have to shift more weight over the front whether you're going up, down or on flatter trails, except on really steep downhills. The effect, as someone mentioned, is minimal tough.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
yeah

Dan Gerous said:
Let's just say that some people, like me, had to adjust their position on the bike because of the lighter weight on the front wheel. Personnaly, I think the climbing traction is incredible but the front end tends to wander around a bit more
That sums it up pretty well for me. I actually don't like it all that much. I do not think that it helps me on climbs. The front end feels too light, and makes it easier to wander off the trail. Maybe once you are used to it, you learn to handle it better and like it. But for me, i prefer Giant's XTC geometry better. Probably just because that's what i am used to.

·
Registered
323 Posts
nice

Dan Gerous said:
Let's just say that some people, like me, had to adjust their position on the bike because of the lighter weight on the front wheel. Personnaly, I think the climbing traction is incredible but the front end tends to wander around a bit more and fast corners need more attention, you really have to shift more weight over the front whether you're going up, down or on flatter trails, except on really steep downhills. The effect, as someone mentioned, is minimal tough.
This is a great observation...well said!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
After having a Tassajara and then a Fuel, the big thing I noticed was Tass felt much better and less endo prone then the fuel in steep downhills. I got rid of my fuel and have a sugar 3+ now. I used to get a little of the front wheel popping up when climbing hills but that doesn't happen anymore. Maybe I just automatically compensate for that now. The cockpit is definetly a little more stretched out with genesis, but this doesn't bother me. As has been stated above the biggest difference with genesis is that the center of gravity is further to the rear and closer to the rear tire which improves traction and reduces endo's on downhills.

·
I like Cake.
109 Posts
My take on it. If you like to stand while you are climbing its great, but if you sit on a steep climb you will wheely. Also it does tend to feel a bit airy when you are cornering fast and the front wheel comes up. One more quick discovery, with more weight on the back wheel, it tends to slip sideways in mud more. I have really gotten used to sliding 6 inches in the opposite direction of the turn with my back wheel everytime I make a muddy turn.

The good stuff. It feels great. It feels quick.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
Don't like Genesis? Try this.

I tried something completely CRAZY last week-end! OK, not that crazy... not crazy at all when I think about it but I put my saddle just a bit further forward... Well it helped, climbing seemed more normal and carving at high speed was less scary.

So for those who don't like Genesis much, maybe you could try it. Don't put it too much forward tough or you'll need a longer stem and it's gonna feel like you have a 87 degree seat tube angle!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.