Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes I get home after riding the trails and look up the bikes of peeps I meet or see on the trail. A lot of times I almost fall out of my chair when I see the prices.

Every day I hear about how the economy is bad, income inequality is a major problem, unemployment, etc etc, but everyone I run into on the trail seems the have a $3000-$5000 bike. wtf?

I have a relatively entry level FS bike (gt sensor expert 9r), and I thought that was a ton of money to spend on a bicycle, but then everyone I meet has bikes that cost 2-3x what mine did.

Even here on the forums there is thread after thread of "just ordered my new $4800 bike," and "yeah, I have a couple of these $1100 wheelsets, but they make a funny noise so I don't really use them."

Maybe mtbking is a rich persons sport? I make pretty good jack, but $4000 or whatever is a lot of cash to spend all at once... people getting loans or something to buy their bikes?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL!

Ok lets say someone makes $50,000 per year. that's like $4200 per month. after tax takehome of $2,700. So people are spending more than a whole month's takehome paycheck on one item. I guess that's why I think it sounds like a lot of money.

·
Registered
14,046 Posts
You look for deals like the Shimano component pricing on Ribble Bikes right now, which Jenson will match.
You collect stuff in increments over a couple seasons.
And you have your priorities rearranged by the fun you're having.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a $3000 bike but I have a $7000 bike rack. I bought a minivan to transport my bike to the trails because I didn't want to mess up my car. :)

A friend of mine made an observation... decent bikes cost so much now, only middle aged guys can afford the bikes.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I want a new 27.5", can not afford it, so upgraded some components on my 3 yr old 26", and riding it again this year!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It was 14 years of riding the same bike (1999 GT xcr1000, cracked frame) before I had to purchase a new one (Knolly Endorphin) last year. I was able to keep the costs down by sticking to the same wheel size, yes I'm sticking with the 26. I did have to get disc ready rear wheel. Also swapping drive train components over, I had 1 season old XT derailluers and the rest was XTR. Going forward I am going to start a bike fund by stashing away $20 a month and hopefully when the time comes I will have enough saved for my next ride.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Well, I'm at that age where the kid is done with college and on his own, no debt to speak of and The wife and I are still working our a$$es off...I gotta' blow my money on something. Most guys my age would get a Harley or a hot rod or a summer home but I'm real happy with some nice bikes so that's what I got cuz that's all I want:)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I hear ya man but remember its not about what kind of bike you have. I sold my road bike to use the funds for my Superfly. I just upgraded my brakes, rotors and tires buying through Ribble. Save some as you go and enjoy the bike you have now. As you get more money you can upgrade after saving a year or two. I actually like not having the best and smoking someone on the trail that has a 2x-3x more expensive bike!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I rationalize and make excuses. Fuzzy math helps, too. I'd be better off in the long run, money-wise, to get an $800 bike and invest the difference for retirement. We all know that. However, at my age (any age), I need the exercise. A gym membership might be 65 bucks a month, $780 a year. A $2,500 bike, amortized over three years, is 834 clams a year. Only a little more per month. Less than 5 dollars. So, for about the cost of a fancy coffee every month, I can have a sweet bike. On top of that, I know I won't go to the gym (I never really got into that), but I do ride my bike. Therefore, I'm saving $780 a year.
I don't see how you can afford not to.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Where I ride, the cars in the lots are modest compared to what's on the road. Myself included. I think it's about priorities.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Im still running an entry level bike but just like any hobby its all about prioritizing your money. Personally not having kids is saving me a A LOT of money. That money then goes into my hobbies.

But you could save anywhere, not getting a fancy car, making your own meals at home, not going crazy during birthdays/Christmas or not traveling/vacationing often.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I will admit that some of these offers that shops have to finance a new bike is really tempting. My bike is fine, just older. Everyone around me seems to be on a new bike, and I wanna keep up with the Jones's. But I finally just got myself out of a bad financial rut, so I imagine the financing is a bad idea, as tempting as it is. :)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I buy the bike 2nd hand after the first owner realizes s/he can't justify owning it and sells it at a large discount.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good points all.

I'm not complaining about my bike vs the others' or anything. I really want to get good riding before I consider buying a top shelf bike.

It's just hard to believe all the crap on the radio about how bad our economy is when so many people can obviously afford high end gear.

more power too everyone, I say!

·
Terrain Sculptor
4,692 Posts
I was going to buy a $6,000 car. I bought a $1000 car instead. Guess what I have in my pocket?

1 - 20 of 240 Posts