Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local shop offers a fitting service. I would like to do it, for curiosity and just see if I am way off on anything. After all, it's possible I have bad habits or something.

When you do a bike fitting, do they like give you a list of parameters (seat height, reach, etc.) that you can use to set up any bike? If so how, does that work, since all bikes have different ST angles and whatnot, can you use a cloth tape and set up another bike to match?

Also do you have to tell them your discipline (road, touring road, road racing, casual road riding, MTB XC, MTB whatever....) so they can do a fitting for this discipline?

Between having multiple bikes and riding multiple disciplines I'm just trying to figure out what it means to have optimal bike fit and how people manage it. I'm sure people don't stop and adjust their bikes when the terrain changes. Or do they?

I'm just wondering what other people do; if you buy a bike on craigslist or something, how do you go about setting it up to fit you (seat height, changing handlebars, adjusting stem height, etc.), do you copy from another bike?

·
Disgruntled Peccary
6,621 Posts
Pretty much all of my bikes are set up (fitted) differently. There are similarities, but they're inherently different (different bikes). Little things make a big deal, for instance, I always prefer a shorter reach on hardtails than full suspension bikes.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Between having multiple bikes and riding multiple disciplines I'm just trying to figure out what it means to have optimal bike fit and how people manage it. I'm sure people don't stop and adjust their bikes when the terrain changes. Or do they?
On a MTB your riding position can change constantly. Standing going uphill, downhill, sitting and pedaling, etc. So for a XC bike you might want your optimal fit for sitting, whereas on a DH bike standing. You kind of just have to find the right fit for what you spend the most time in, without being way out of whack the other times. A road bike is easier to fit, as most of your time is spent in the saddle pedaling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My local shop offers a fitting service. I would like to do it, for curiosity and just see if I am way off on anything. After all, it's possible I have bad habits or something.

When you do a bike fitting, do they like give you a list of parameters (seat height, reach, etc.) that you can use to set up any bike? If so how, does that work, since all bikes have different ST angles and whatnot, can you use a cloth tape and set up another bike to match?

Also do you have to tell them your discipline (road, touring road, road racing, casual road riding, MTB XC, MTB whatever....) so they can do a fitting for this discipline?

I'm just wondering what other people do; if you buy a bike on craigslist or something, how do you go about setting it up to fit you (seat height, changing handlebars, adjusting stem height, etc.), do you copy from another bike?
You bring in the bike you wish to fit, and they had me ride a fitment rig (a wonky looking stationary bike) and then my bike on a trainer. They then recommended adjustments (shorter stem, setback seatpost, etc). I had my MTB fit and my Gravel bike. For me worth the investment... I have a few bikes and was able to make adjustments on my other bikes based on what I learned.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Selle Italia have come up with a fitting system that does a 3D scan of your body and then uses a computer controlled jig to adjust seat and bar position in real time as you're pedaling whilst constantly analyzing your body position to determine the optimal position for a particular style of bike/riding. Once they have your optimal position they can then recommend bikes that are the closest fit for you 'off the shelf' based on a database they maintain of every brand/model/size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.