Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm almost set on getting an Intense SS, but the only thing holding me back would be its DH performance. I mainly ride at Diablo FR Park in NJ. I don't know if this should deter me from buying it. How does it do in (rocky, rooty, gnarly) DH sections vs. other ~7 inch bikes (7 Point, Demo 7, Quake, Maelstrom, Dirtbag, etc.) ???

I'm gonna want to do some races, so would buying an SS be a mistake? (It would be my only bike besides my bmx)

Edit: I weigh 135-140 pounds geared and am about 5'9"- 5'10" tall

Help?!:confused:

·
Registered
875 Posts
"other 7 inch bikes"?
I'm pretty sure that the SS isn't a 7 inch bike (at least in the back it isn't).
But if it's anything like the Bottlerocket, it won't do quite as well in really technical rocky terrain; it has neither the long wheelbase nor the slack suspension that a DH bike has.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You're light, it would be good in those sections. You might consider a Giant Reign X kitted out to the max. People seem to be lovin the crap out of the Reign X.

Out of those choices that you listed and for how you're going to be using it, I'd have a hard time choosing between the Demo 7 and the SS but I'd probably go Demo 7. I am far from a Spec fanboy too, the Demo 7 is just badass.

The SS is far from similar to a Bottlerocket and it as also far from a Slopestyle bike. It's an amazing all 'rounder from what I hear.

·
Registered
875 Posts
FreerideMonkey7 said:
I said "other ~7 inch bikes"
this ~ means about 7 inches
The SS has 6.5-6.7 inches, not exactly sure
Ok. I went on Intense's website and suprisingly enough, they hadn't updated the specs section of the SS.
I think it would do fine at Diablo. My friend rode it on his Trek Jack when he went up there a few months ago.
Have you considered an Ellsworth Rogue? I rode one this weekend with a 888 fork on it and it was still no heavier than my BR.

The br has 5.5 inches
I know. I have one.

and a lot worse suspension design
Doesn't prevent it in anyway shape, size or form from being one of the most popular (and capable) SS bikes out there.

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
You should consider a Turner Highline, Goride has them for $1599. Nice low BB & standover like the slopestyle bikes have, but with longer wheelbase and chainstays which add stability on the steep gnar. I've ridden back to back with a bottlerocket, the highline in 7&7 mode is like the bastard child of a bottlerocket and a DHR.

I rode some really steep trails yesterday on mine and was loving the longer wheelbase, point, pucker and shoot on trails that are too steep & chundery to hike down.

I know some love short back ends for manuals, jumps, tight & twisties, but if you like ultra-steep/fast/gnarly there's nothing like a longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Save yourself a lot of money and get a Reign X. Same travel as SS, very similar suspension design, and it might even be better for DH because it has longer chainstays. The Reign is also supposed to ride really well with a 7" fork. That would make it an awesome mini DH race bike for a light guy like you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not sure how much you can get your Intense SS for but I got my brand new Quake CL7 frame with DHX 5.0 for $1K shipped from Pedalshop. I was totally surprised on how it handled the DH (gnarly rock gardens & steep drops) and how it stuck on the corners. It felt as if it's got more than 6.8 inches of travel (more like 8 inches) and how fast it got as the square edged rocks didn't slow it down that much. Brake jack was almost non-existent and is almost comparable to my floater equipped Shockwave 9.5 full on DH bike.

I haven't tried an Intense SS but I can infer that the Quake might have the upper hand over the Intense SS on the DH due to it's longer wheelbase on an equivalent size. The Intense SS might be more flickable than the Quake though. One other thing on the Quake is that it hides it's weight on the uphills as it pedals very efficiently. The only drawback that it would have is it's overbuilt weight but then again i'd put my money on it for reliability / longevity.

If you're in a rather tight budget and would give high priority to DH stability over flickability then the Quake might be a rig that you should consider.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
combatkimura said:
You're light, it would be good in those sections. You might consider a Giant Reign X kitted out to the max. People seem to be lovin the crap out of the Reign X.

Out of those choices that you listed and for how you're going to be using it, I'd have a hard time choosing between the Demo 7 and the SS but I'd probably go Demo 7. I am far from a Spec fanboy too, the Demo 7 is just badass.

The SS is far from similar to a Bottlerocket and it as also far from a Slopestyle bike. It's an amazing all 'rounder from what I hear.
I was considering the reign x, but i like the SS more because it has shorter stays, and the quality and us made and everything.

And those weren't choices, they were examples.

How is the SS far from slopestyle???
It defenitly doesnt look worse than the br for slopestyle.
Yeah theres better choices like nicolai ufo-ds and corsair konig and such, but w.e.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ventana La Bruja or Turner Highline

They don't call it La Bruja for nothin, she will bewitch you. However her wheelbase is made for manouverability not drop stability (depends on the wheelpath under travel) so if you want stability on 15 foot plus drops go for the Highline, and get it soon as they are discontinued. BUT for SS get the Ventana. More people should, then more people would be happy!!!

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you are ready to spend that much money on a bike, read reviews about the Morewood Shova LT, 7" rear 7" front. I have one and can't believe what a great freeride frame it is. I have also seen some guys racing on them.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
Ss

I've seen a guy w/ a 6.6 SS at Diablo. I'm not sure who he is but I thought I saw his bike in the Intense Forum.
It's a sweet ride. I'm in love w/ it as well!

·
moaaar shimz
9,125 Posts
Yeah, everyone is b1tching on how their bike COULD suit the OP when all he needs is real DH experience from another Intense SS rider. I am sure the bike will fir his riding style and he will enjoy it completely.

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
SuperKat said:
I've seen a guy w/ a 6.6 SS at Diablo. I'm not sure who he is but if you cruise the Intense Forum, the thread "6.6 SS Photo Album" his bike is in there.
It's a sweet ride. I'm in love w/ it as well!
The powder blue one? If so thats Mikey C, he posts on here too so I'm sure he'll chime in. I ride with him all the time and I'll tell you that he loves the bike and goes through anything. It replaced his Bottlerocket and he is very happy. Do yourself a favor though and don't get a 36 for it like him... get a Totem. Another buddy rides a Mini Dh at Diablo which is a shorter travel bike as well and ditched his 36 for a totem solo air and it rips.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I kinda noticed that everyone is saying how good their bike is.
I asked the same question on the Intense forum, lets see what they have to say, including the guy that rides at Diablo.

SuperKat, what's his name, so I could see his bike???

Lalocotequinta, I don't think I want a single pivot bike.

·
Registered
454 Posts
FreerideMonkey7 said:
I was considering the reign x, but i like the SS more because it has shorter stays, and the quality and us made and everything.

And those weren't choices, they were examples.

How is the SS far from slopestyle???
It defenitly doesnt look worse than the br for slopestyle.
Yeah theres better choices like nicolai ufo-ds and corsair konig and such, but w.e.
had a br last season, went to the ss. I primarily ride diablo which i really just pregame for my trip to whistler:thumbsup: .

the br was nimble, fun, great bang per buck, but its a pure slopestyle rig. I was looking for the capability to hit every trail diablo offers, smooth jump trails to gnar rock gardens and the SS fits the bill. Less of a chore in the dh style with no sacrifice of nimble-ness. The fact that I can build it up significantly lighter and pedal on the am trails is just a bonus(and prob the most significant differences for that matter).

any of those bikes are great for slopestyle but(IMO) the SS leads the pack in its versitility outside the intended purpose(am-fr-dh)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
njhcx4xlife said:
The powder blue one? If so thats Mikey C, he posts on here too so I'm sure he'll chime in. I ride with him all the time and I'll tell you that he loves the bike and goes through anything. It replaced his Bottlerocket and he is very happy. Do yourself a favor though and don't get a 36 for it like him... get a Totem. Another buddy rides a Mini Dh at Diablo which is a shorter travel bike as well and ditched his 36 for a totem solo air and it rips.
Yeah, I saw a guy on a light blue sxtrail-type color, but i didn't take the time to ask questions. I was just enjoying the riding.:thumbsup:
The problem with a Totem on a SS is the headtube angle is going to be a lil too slack and the front of the bike is going to be a lil too high up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.