Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how the 888's feel compared to the Shiver.

I have an 02 Shiver that is the best fork I've ridden to date, with my 02 Monster T taking a close 2nd.

How do the 888's compare in sensitivity and progressiveness?

Also, what's the difference in the 888's? I know I don't want the VF model, but aren't there a few different ones with adjustable rebound and compression, RC or RCX2 or some crap?

What year did Marzocchi fix the ubber tall ride height, or do they still have that problem and need something like Go-ride lower crowns?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nothing wrong with the 06 888VF2 champ. That has adjustable rebound and compression. I can't fault the VF2 myself. However I could see some heavier riders needing to change to a hard spring or maybe a thicker oil than stock. I only weight 61kgs.

I haven't riden a shiver sorry so can't compare. I'm just posting of behalf of the VF2.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
FISHLEG said:
I'm curious how the 888's feel compared to the Shiver.

I have an 02 Shiver that is the best fork I've ridden to date, with my 02 Monster T taking a close 2nd.

How do the 888's compare in sensitivity and progressiveness?

Also, what's the difference in the 888's? I know I don't want the VF model, but aren't there a few different ones with adjustable rebound and compression, RC or RCX2 or some crap?

What year did Marzocchi fix the ubber tall ride height, or do they still have that problem and need something like Go-ride lower crowns?
Last season I rode an 02' Shiver DC. I rode a 2002 Super T before the Shiver and thought the Shiver was deffinitly plusher. The only complaint I had w/ the Shiver was the weight on my Bullit , made the bike feel nose heavy. This season I built up a VP Free w/ an 05' 888RC (04'/05' 888's have tall crowns) I installed a Marzocchi compression sleeve before my first ride. Supposedly Shivers have little to none low speed compression dampning which I felt my Shiver suffered brake dive. The 888's have low speed compression but stock not enough hence the compression sleeve. I do not have that much ride time on the 888 but it doesn't dive like the Shiver and I feel it will be a step up.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Original Poster,

I'll let you know after this weekend. I've had a shiver, dorado, super t, 66 rc2x, sherman breakout +, slider +, and now I'm giving the 888vf2 a shot. I just changed the oil on it, waiting on my rear tire, and saturday we are shreddin' our two spots here in OH so I'll give a full write up on the fork then. Look for the post on Sunday.

Peace

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
keen said:
Last season I rode an 02' Shiver DC. I rode a 2002 Super T before the Shiver and thought the Shiver was deffinitly plusher. The only complaint I had w/ the Shiver was the weight on my Bullit , made the bike feel nose heavy. This season I built up a VP Free w/ an 05' 888RC (04'/05' 888's have tall crowns) I installed a Marzocchi compression sleeve before my first ride. Supposedly Shivers have little to none low speed compression dampning which I felt my Shiver suffered brake dive. The 888's have low speed compression but stock not enough hence the compression sleeve. I do not have that much ride time on the 888 but it doesn't dive like the Shiver and I feel it will be a step up.
I do remember my Shiver suffering from brake dive ( I still have the fork, but it's in the box and I haven't ridden it in a while). I also remember it diving in hard bermed corners, but I might have had it set up wrong. Might have needed firm springs. Or rider error!

But it felt soooooo smooth and bottomless. That thing was a dream to ride. It wasn't as stiff as my Monster T, but I actually thought it handled drops better. Plus the sensitivity of an inverted fork.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Shiver plushness and progressiveness are superb. Except for the fork dive but, I got used to it and compensate for it. However, with 888 RC I had better control of my bike. It's more flickable. Also, I can go a lot faster on corners with 888 than when I was using a shiver '03. If this is more of your concern then I would suggest you change your fork. If not, then Shiver is not only the best. It's PIMP....Hope this helps.

·
Hisforever
1,869 Posts
The 01/02? Shiver I remember was a sloth up front, It worked very well but was heavy.

The 04' 888RC I moved 'up' to is just as butter and a little bit lighter, mo bettah IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.