Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day everyone,

Have successfully converted to Rohloff and have not looked back, but i have an inquisitive mind and when i'm in the middle of no-where, smoothly riding and listening to the synchronised meshing of thousands of small machined parts, my mind begins to wonder how exactly i am being propelled through such a simple looking hub.

i am wondering if anyone could give me a quick, and perhaps simple, explaination of exactly how a rohloff works. i have pondered over the cutaway drawing, but to no avail.

any suggestions welcome.

·
meh....
3,589 Posts
simplespeed said:
G'day everyone,

Have successfully converted to Rohloff and have not looked back, but i have an inquisitive mind and when i'm in the middle of no-where, smoothly riding and listening to the synchronised meshing of thousands of small machined parts, my mind begins to wonder how exactly i am being propelled through such a simple looking hub.

i am wondering if anyone could give me a quick, and perhaps simple, explaination of exactly how a rohloff works. i have pondered over the cutaway drawing, but to no avail.

any suggestions welcome.
It's all planetary gears. If the tech stuff on Rohloff's site doesn't help you search and find information on planetary gears. If you understand the basics of that you'll have the Speedhub figured out for the most part.

Monte

·
Grand Poobah
265 Posts
Look up some info on how planetary gears work (such as in an automatic transmission). Then with the cutaway diagram in hand, you can ascertain how it works specifically in the Rohloff hub.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.