Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ended up replacing the front 2.4 DHR2 for a 2.6 Rekon. I switched the back 2.4 Rekon for a 2.6 Ikon. Lost all most a half pound while adding volume and reducing rolling resistance. I dont think I will have as much grip as I used to. What are your guys thoughts? Did I do right? Will this have even more traction now that I have 2.6. I will ride in a couple weeks. What difference should I expect, climbs, descents, and various terrain.

Thanx,
Scott

·
Registered
597 Posts
The 2.4 setup you had will grip better for aggressive riding. If you're railing corners at high speeds, you'll likely miss the cornering knobs of the DHR up front. That being said, I run a 2.6" Rekon up front with a 2.6" XR2 out back for my home (XC) Florida trails and swap to a more aggressive setup for mountain trips. It's all about the speeds and terrain you ride - we don't get crazy fast descents here, so the Rekon provides plenty of grip for me and rolls a lot faster.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
As Matt said, it all depends on where you ride, what you ride and how you ride. If for instance you're on a HT, then going to the 2.6" will make a nice improvement in comfort moreso than if you were on an FS. Also if as said you ride someplace with flatter or less fast terrain with maybe softer surfaces like sand, then it will help there, descending fast stuff, depending on the surface it might be better or worse. Climbing is another area you should experience some improvements in rolling speed, yet also traction, as the bigger footprint will get you just as much if not more traction than the narrower, slightly more aggressive tread.

So the reality of it is that you already bought and installed the tyres, give them a go and find out for yourself just how they change things. The one thing I would ask/say, is if you are on rims that are narrower than i30, you will not get the full benefit of the wider tyres and may not experience all the positives as much as if you were.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a FS with 34i carbon rims. In MN we have descents but no mountains. We don’t have sand. A lot of dirt, rocks, and roots. I ordered the new tires, but they have not arrived yet. I don’t know if that changes your thoughts.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.