Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting. I hope I found the right forum.

I'm making my version of a klunker using left over parts for a SS mtb commuter. I want to use the zoom forks off an old walmart mongoose because they look cool and have disk breaks.

How do I convert them to rigid forks. I understand that they are not really suspension forks. I just need to know how to take the things apart and how much I need to cut the PVC pipe. I don't think they even have springs so I can't just take the springs out and cut the pipe to size.

A little ingenuity and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna give it a try. I think I can figure it out. I just wanted it see if I could get some help. Why reinvent the wheel.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
You're not reinventing the wheel at all. What you're doing is taking a possible deathtrap and turning it into a certain deathtrap.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Replacing a fork with PVC pipe is a great way to ensure that it will catastrophically fail.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Clean them out with a degreaser. Put back together, remove top cap and pour in concrete, let dry. Stiff as hell, much stronger than before, and not much heavier considering you couldn't wheelie with them in the first place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help flaming taco and harryman. Even though the fork are "rigid" that little bit of travel sucks when I'm going up hills. It absorbs a lot of energy. I think it would be a great mod to make them more stiff.

Bro,

I appreciate your concern. I am not going to have PVC tube forks. I'm going to just drop some PVC pipe in the fork tubs to eliminate all travel.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I appreciate your concern. I am not going to have PVC tube forks. I'm going to just drop some PVC pipe in the fork tubs to eliminate all travel.
No, we get that. The problem is putting rigid PVC in there is going to put a lot more stress on the fork and will make it significantly more likely to fail. You'd be a lot better off just hitting a couple bike shops and finding an old rigid take-off fork they'll sell for cheap. It'll be a heck of a of lighter too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bad mechanic,

that makes a lot of sense. Thanks for giving me some insight into why it is a bad idea. That is received a lot better than short responses or sarcasm. I appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts