1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
So I was wondering one thing.
I'm 179cm tall with an inseam of 78cm.
My inseam is longer than other people around 179 apparently.
Will this make me feel more comfortable on shorter reach?

I figured if I'm more legs than torso and the charts go after heigh and I'm above averge on inseam that should mean that my reach might not be that of somone who's 179cm (generally).

Thoughts about this?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I don't size off of inseam alone ,to me you need to look at the bar to seat length . You can raise or lower the saddle more than you can move the bars and saddle back or forward.

·
Registered
13,855 Posts
You're 5'10.5" with a riding inseam with shoes of crotch to floor 30.7". Your legs are short for your torso. Don't use your pants inseam. You're going to size towards a larger bike with a longer reach. On current geo bikes with shorter 50 and under stems that reach number will be 560mm or more. Usually a L.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
34.64" inseam so you can go to a M. in many bikes.
I was thinking if going M made sense when the bike I'm looking at has a reach of 420mm. It's a hard tail. Commencal Meta HT AM. Others with my length have said that they enjoyed it and others say that they went for L. I'll try and contact commencal and ask them. Ive been trying to figure out qhat size i should buy for quite a while now...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
34.64" inseam so you can go to a M. in many bikes.
I was thinking if going M made sense when the bike I'm looking at has a reach of 420mm. It's a hard tail. Commencal Meta HT AM. Others with my length have said that they enjoyed it and others say that they went for L. I'll try and contact commencal and ask them. Ive been trying to figure out qhat size i should buy for quite a while now... View attachment 1917912

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Many of the new geo bikes" doesn't include the Commencal Meta HT AM it seems. 445 will be better for you. imo. So the L.
But I'd not go for that bike. Unless you live next to a bike park, ride only the high speed dh runs and have a lift pass. And even then the reach isn't current. Here's a review-
Commencal Meta HT AM Review - Hardtail Party - YouTube
I've seen that video a few times. I enjoy watching HT-party :)
Well, the thing is that there are more people saying that it's a really fun bike than those who dissagree. Where I live there are a lot of enduro self made trails, some really rough stuff and some moderate XC stuff. The tracks aren't that long. But I have gone to bike parks not too far from my town and am planing on going again.

I've tried to look at other bikes, but I really like the Commencal, I like everything about it (except for the size guide... honestly...). I was looking at an even more aggressive HT before brexit happened, mainly the Ragley Mmmbop (63.75* HTa). I've been looking at the Marin San quentin 3 as well, but I like the components on the Commencal.

I've speculated going full sus again, the YT Capra is just a few hundred more than the Commencal Essential build, although I really don't enjoy the looks of that bike and i find fullsuspension a bit boring right now, I'll probably get one in the future.

·
Registered
13,855 Posts
Steve on ht party talks about 130mm fork length as being the length he prefers. Longer changes the handling too much when you're going down big drops. Tougher to control. And you've already got a wide tire with low pressure on the front adding cushion. The Big Al handles all that terrain with a 130 Helm M2. It handles everything else with the compliance of the frame and Cush Core XC in the rear wheel. The Marzocchi Z2 it comes with if you don't get just a frame is a very good fork or easy to sell as a new takeoff. Better than a Yari unless you upgrade it to a Lyric with extra cost. On either bike I'd go 4-pot mt520 front brake.

Nukeproof-

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts