Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Just Don't Do it

If you send the bike your cousin will get HAMMERED in taxes! I moved to Austria and had my 5 yr old hardtail Trek (est. value posted as $500) sent out by my dad and I got charged over 400 Euro before they would let my bike out of customs. You get total f-ed with taxes here. And now the Czech Republic is part of the EU so I'm sure it is the same deal. The best way is to take it with you when you visit (in a plastic travel bike box) or have him pick it up and don't claim it on arrival. I had no problem doing this with my new bike I just bought in the States this spring.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I figured. UPS wants $754 to send the bike and the postal service will not do it at all. I heard there is a cargo company that will do it but have no clue where to look.

yknotryd said:
If you send the bike your cousin will get HAMMERED in taxes! I moved to Austria and had my 5 yr old hardtail Trek (est. value posted as $500) sent out by my dad and I got charged over 400 Euro before they would let my bike out of customs. You get total f-ed with taxes here. And now the Czech Republic is part of the EU so I'm sure it is the same deal. The best way is to take it with you when you visit (in a plastic travel bike box) or have him pick it up and don't claim it on arrival. I had no problem doing this with my new bike I just bought in the States this spring.

· Registered
57 Posts
Lots of options

There are several companies that will do everything but put it in a box and a couple that do that. Call DHL, FedEx and UPS. All of these companies will do everything from door to door including clear customs for you. UPS will even box it for you at certain locations. Beware of the taxes though. If you ship it as new the receipt is required and full taxes are taken out. If you ship it as used you can declare a value, and pay taxes on that value. However, if they damage a $2000.00 bike that you have valued at $500.00 don't expect a new bike, or really anything over $50.00 or .50/lb whichever is greater unless you take out additonal insurance. I agree with the other post of taking it with you if you go to visit as checked luggage.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.