Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car camping..

I typically put my bike back in to my bike racks on the roof of my car overnight. Not the most secure option, but I figure with my alarm on the car, any attempt to hammer or force the bikes off will set off the alarm.

But how do you secure your bikes?

Thanks.

·
Founder: Dirty3hirties
2,031 Posts
If you're car camping which I assume you're doing, the car shouldn't be too far away from you. I'm not worried about leaving it locked on the rack since I'm sure I would hear anyone trying to break the rack and take it off. You'd have to have some ball$ to try that when we're sleeping 30 ft. away in a tent.....not the most soundproof structure by any means :thumbsup: If you're gonna lose sleep over it, just throw it in your car.

But if you're bikepacking, then for sure I'd bring a good cable lock and secure it to a tree close by...that's pretty much your only option....unless you want to get nice and snuggly with your bike. :D :eek:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MtnBikerDan said:
a cable lock to wrap around a tree, or threading it into the frame of my truck. When you've got a posse of bikes worth in excess of $10k, trust no one.
No doubt. My bike was only $2k ("only") but I protect it.

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
6,156 Posts
MtnBikerDan said:
a cable lock to wrap around a tree, or threading it into the frame of my truck. When you've got a posse of bikes worth in excess of $10k, trust no one.
You can tell a true mountain biker because the bikes are worth more than the car they are on. Lets see Jetta -- worth about $7k right now... I guess I'm not there yet. When I get a third bike on the roof I'm in the clear I think.

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
0gre said:
You can tell a true mountain biker because the bikes are worth more than the car they are on. Lets see Jetta -- worth about $7k right now... I guess I'm not there yet. When I get a third bike on the roof I'm in the clear I think.
My Jamis could probably fetch $200 on craigslist, so I'm already there.

·
Registered
680 Posts
0gre said:
I've got 5 bikes and no car....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.