Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Trail Ninja
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some crazy DHer ride off what was a vertical rock face at a local trail. I had no balls to try it, but the guy had no helmet even. Just rode it and the transition somehow was curved enough to make it seem like doable for him. He says he's been riding the area for 15 years.

I'm going to go out there tomorrow with more protection and try it. I doubt I'd even want to test jumping off to make sure I'd survive a bail out. Kind of worried about my crankset/pedals (low bb) catching on the edge.

I have a camera and a phone... hmm. I'd likely wuss out when I see it again, but I kind of pride myself for having no fear of attempting something others can do, which I think is within my ability. It's just a face plant waiting to happen though. It seriously looks like a vertical wall with like the bottom 1 ft being the curved transition.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Several thoughts on this which may/may not apply to you:

1.) What are you riding and is it enough to handle that? How big a rock face are we talking with this rig?

2.) How much experience do you have with riding stuff even close to that size? Have you built up your skill set to stuff just a little less than this or is this going to be a real step-up challengewise? That guy's been riding it for 15 years and likely had lots of other experience other places too.

3.) If in doubt, don't. The fact you even asked here suggests a possible lack of confidence (BTW, that's truly not meant as a knock on you or a criticism of what you want to do, just an observation) It's just the reality that real confidence or fearless factor (not plain stupidity which is what gets some guys into trouble) is necessary once you commit to something like that.

FWIW: Good luck, its cool that you want to take on this challenge. :thumbsup:

·
Trail Ninja
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. I have a 29er XC race HT, 29er XC FS, and 5" travel 26". It's taller than I can even climb up from the bottom, on foot. I can't reach the top with my hands when jumping.

2. None. Don't even ride down bumpy rock faces that are less than vertical unless they're 4'-8' with a decent transition... something I could huck if I wanted to. 3' hucks are something I barely have to think about doing. Even then, my rear typically slams down and my fork bottoms out.

3. Just wondering if kind of like rolling down a vert ramp that has a long section of straight vert. Just need moderate leg strength and a very good amount of core to stabilize while the bike hits the transition, I'd think.

It's like this on a smaller scale with a bike. Only problem is, I think my bike's BB is too low and will get caught on the edge. I will roll it off by hand without being on it, to see if that's a prob.

http://embed.break.com/MTg1MDMzMA==

·
Trail Ninja
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wish I had a full face helm, honestly. I'd really like to do it, seriously. I just fear that face plant if my rear gets hung up.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Varaxis said:
Wish I had a full face helm, honestly. I'd really like to do it, seriously. I just fear that face plant if my rear gets hung up.
...which is why you should practice it on something smaller first...

I also think you should xpost this on the freeride and maybe the AM forums. You might get more specific advice.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I have done something simliar. It was only 8-10 feet but vertical like yours with a transition. Basically freefall till you get to the bottom. Well first attempt cleared it like a pro. Second time lawn dart into the ground with broken ribs. Haven't tried it since, haha. It was probably the biggest drop I have ever done but have done many that were 5-6 feet before so while I was nervious I knew it was within my skill set although pushing it. Sounds like you might want to work up to it.

·
Trying not to kill myself
391 Posts
Varaxis said:
Calling going straight down, head first off a 12' drop a 'face plant' is an understatement. More like a 'face missile strike'. :D

·
Registered
914 Posts
brent878 said:
I have done something simliar. It was only 8-10 feet but vertical like yours with a transition. Basically freefall till you get to the bottom. Well first attempt cleared it like a pro. Second time lawn dart into the ground with broken ribs. Haven't tried it since, haha. It was probably the biggest drop I have ever done but have done many that were 5-6 feet before so while I was nervious I knew it was within my skill set although pushing it. Sounds like you might want to work up to it.
AZ.MTNS said:
Yard darts anyone?
That's exactly how mine was. Forks compressed and front wheel didn't move, my body went strait into the ground. I might as well just did a swan dive from the top with no bike. Lucky that I didn't land strait on my head but I still ended up breaking some ribs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you do it PLEASE give a friend your username and password to post the video here. This kind of thinking needs video evidence so others who don't have fully developed reasoning function can learn without trying. (the reasoning center of the brain is the last to develop... http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/8410.php). He also might win a Darwin award which would help pay for funeral expenses.

You have nothing to prove. Besides, getting more than a pint of blood on the trail is bad etiquette. Not to mention the next guy will have to wait until EMS gets you transported before they can ride the course. If you kill yourself then they might close the trail for days.

Lots of good reasons to "just say no". You can have a lot more fun for a lot longer if you make smart choices along the way.

·
Trail Ninja
6,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Eh. It's a short horse trail that I've only ever seen 1 rider on before, who told me he fixed the trail up so it's actually ridable. It's like 200 ft up some hills by Lake Perris and down the other side with some fast switch backs.

If anyone's been here before, the switch back end is at one end of the dam, with a bunch of benches set up there. The rock is at the very top of the trail.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Varaxis said:
Eh. It's a short horse trail that I've only ever seen 1 rider on before, who told me he fixed the trail up so it's actually ridable.
Awesome, so you'll F yourself up and nobody will ever find you. Sounds like a really bad idea.

You really need to build up the skills first to do something like this. I'd try practicing on smaller stuff first if I were you. What are you trying to prove? BTW, even if you do make it, that G-out at the bottom is going to be intense. You sure you and your bike can handle that force?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.