Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
5 x 5
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgot mine this evening. Forgot gloves, too. Wasn't about to go home, so I rode up the canyon with my grips slick and sweat streaming down my temples.

Rode the log-ride with the drop into the creek, helmet be damned. Rode the two foot drop, the three foot drop, and the three and a half foot drop. Skipped the four foot drop, just like I always do. Pretty much rode the same as always, but boy was I paying attention.

How about you? Do you ride more conservatively when you forget your helmet?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I don't ride without a helmet. If I did forget it, I probably wouldn't ride or would stick to tame fire roads... In my experience, if I'm trying to take it easy and am preoccupied with falling -- I ride like **** and am more likely to fall...

·
Registered
10 Posts
no helmet - no ride for me too. i've there was a thread here a while back with some graphic pics of what happens just riding around your neighborhood without a lid. sorry but no way i'm risking that. each to their own and all that though.

·
Slave to the grind
519 Posts
one time i forgot my helmet

but i was with a girl i was trying to get into.....biking. rode very very carefully and felt very naked. near the end when crossing a bridge with no railing over a 15 foot drop this other girl in front of me aaaalmost stopped in front of me to get a better view. i was clipped in and didnt have enough foot space to unclip without falling. I knew if i screamed at her to keep moving she would have freaked out and stayed put. so i bit my lip until she ambled along. i screamed right after.

aside from that, no helmet no ride. husband of an officemate was on a scooter running an errand. no helmet + accident = coma for a year followed by death after complications. left behind 2 kids, one was born a few weeks before the accident. blah blah blah it was on a scooter blah blah blah it was on a road. but still....

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
My rides start at my front door so I do not forget my helmet.

The longest I have ridden without a helmet, since I bought one, is around the house. Feels as weird as sitting in a car without a seat belt or walking into a supermarket without a shirt.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
I ride most of my commuting w/o a helmet, but its getting to feel weird. I learned to drive a car with a seatbelt from day one. Now, at age 22, It just doesn't feel right to drive without a seatbelt on. The helmet is beginning to feel the same way. When I'm riding on trails (which has become alot more common this summer) as opposed to just riding to class, I always have my helmet on. I may have to change my habits for comforts sake...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I never forget the lid. Whether on my MTB, roadie or dirt bike I always have my helmet on. Right now I work in the Neurosciences dept. of the local hospital and have seen too many closed head traumas to forget. I do need to learn to snowboard with a helmet. For whatever reason it's different. I'll use when I compete but leisure runs with my wife or buddies, I forgot it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
No HELMET = NO RIDE

The guys I ride with, enforce this rule strictly, no exceptions! After I just started riding with them last year, I actually left my helmet at home one morning. I said I would take it easy, but no way they were going to let me ride along. One of the guys waited the 20 min it took me to go home and get it. We also do a monthly 'mountainbike hash' http://www.pbase.com/perhoem/kl_mountain_bike_hash and we get 100 to 160 riders every time. Always someone that has forgot a helmet, so if there are no spares, that means NO RIDE, even if the terrain is modest.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I just ride normally. I didn't even think about riding with a helmet until I got sick of getting **** from all the whiners, so on the few times I've forgotten, I don't worry and just enjoy the ride. Yes, I know most of you disagree with this, you don't need to tell how dumb you think I am, blah blah blah all over again. Just answering the original posters question, move along.

·
Registered
18,592 Posts
Last time I forgot my helmet I tooted around like Mary Poppins. ding-ding! It's such a naked feeling.

I've rather been enjoying riding helmetless on the commuter though.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Tarekith said:
I just ride normally. I didn't even think about riding with a helmet until I got sick of getting **** from all the whiners, so on the few times I've forgotten, I don't worry and just enjoy the ride. Yes, I know most of you disagree with this, you don't need to tell how dumb you think I am, blah blah blah all over again. Just answering the original posters question, move along.
Word!

(Personally I would not ride, that would be stupid, but as you stated, no need to tell you that..;) )

Seriously, to each their own, but not for me.

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
MrMountainHop said:
Forgot mine this evening. Forgot gloves, too. Wasn't about to go home, so I rode up the canyon with my grips slick and sweat streaming down my temples.

Rode the log-ride with the drop into the creek, helmet be damned. Rode the two foot drop, the three foot drop, and the three and a half foot drop. Skipped the four foot drop, just like I always do. Pretty much rode the same as always, but boy was I paying attention.

How about you? Do you ride more conservatively when you forget your helmet?
never forgotten my helmet - i've forgotten pretty much everything else: gloves, sun glasses, spare tube/CO2, front wheel, keys to my roof rack (with the bike locked on top)... so i don't know what i'd do. guess it would depend on how far i'd driven to get there. 30 min - 1 hr drive, i'd probably just turn around and go home. 4 hr drive, might see if there's a shop in the area and buy a new helmet, if not, maybe i'd ride. don't know.

rt

·
NMBP
2,159 Posts
I keep my helmet, gloves, shoes, and seat/ seat post (has to come off to fit in back of truck) in one bag. If I forget the bag, it's not worth trying to ride. Many years ago I had a different system and did one ride with out the brain bucket. I'll be careful I thought. I hopped and tiny log (6" maybe) and somehow landed on my head. I had a major headache for a week.
I've seen and had too many broken helmets to risk it now.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
All rides are from home for me, no driving. No helmet, no ride. It is easy though since bikes are right inside front door; gloves and helmet are hanging from H-Bars of bike closest to door. Also a U-Lock and cable for quick trips to work and store.

When I start to drive to trails to ride (no time working 7 days/week to pay medical bills), the items hanging on the bikes will go to the truck first.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I don't...

forget my helmet. Gloves? Yes. Glasses? Yes. Helmet? No. If I did I probably wouldn't ride as I've fallen and hit the helmet before. It wasn't pretty and I was unscathed. No helmet=no ride.

·
Loser
5,536 Posts
Just once...

I forgot my helmet one time when riding as Wissahicken (sp?) in Philly. My wife dropped me and a buddy off and drove off with the van, after which I realized my helmet was in there after I got a few minutes down the trail. ARGH. I decided to take it easy and go on with the ride. I felt totally naked throughout the ride.

At just about the end of the ride we were crusing along and a wooden bridge came along. I just hit it without thinking about my lack of helmet or considering it might be slippery. It was, and I went down hard and fast, falling 4 feet from the top of the bridge into the dry, rocky stream bed. The look on my buddy's face was classic, luckily I fell well and I didn't get hurt at all, but that's the kind of fall that helmets are made for.

John

·
The Weatherman
304 Posts
I have only forgot my helmet one time (now, my rear wheel... that's another story altogether...).

When I lived in Korea we were doing shuttle runs on a phenomenal trail system at Namhansanseong Regional Park. Load up bikes, drive to the top. Bomb back down. Rinse, repeat.

On our second or third bombing run, I left my helmet back at the bottom of the mountain in one of the shuttle vehicles. Got to the top. Cracked a beer before the next run, drank it, and then realized that I had left my helmet at the bottom of the mountain. Damn!

I debated it for a while, and finally just decided to throw caution to the wind and ride.

That bombing run was my cleanest ever. Usually I had a couple of dabs, a few dismounts, and a few close calls... not on this run. It was the perfect run.

Granted I did shave alot of speed off my normal pace, but still, it was pretty impressive. And I must say, riding without a helmet on did feel good.

Unwad your panties helmet militia. That was the only time I mountain biked without a helmet, and in no way do I advocate others do the same. I took the chance and gambled, coming out clean. Eventually however, you will lose.

But man, what a feeling.... totally exposed head...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.