Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a steel 29er geared frame that i only intend to ride as an ss w/ a white industry eno hub. i want to ditch the cable stops. i'm thinking about repainting anyway so i don't care about damaging the existing paint. i just don't want to damage the frame. so what do i do? use a propane torch or something like that?

thanks,
head

btw it's a vicious frame.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've never done it, nor have I ever even thought about doing it, but I'd probably just grind them off if I had any desire to remove cable stops.

You might try posting this in the frame builders or singlespeed forums here too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Cable stops are small, you could dremel them off easily, then use an 80 grit dremel paddle sander to finish off the last bit... Absolutely no torch!

I have been building a cafe racer out of a 1977 honda cb550f, The dremel has been a godsend for grinding and polishing... One of my favorite tools.

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
I just Dremel'd the edges of the stops on my Orange and filed out the closed end enough to allow a hose/cable to sit flush. A quick filing cleaned everything up. Then I drilled a hole under the stop, but above the frame, so as to allow a cable tie to be used to secure; although this turned out to be unnecessary as the edges of the stop held the hoses in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts