Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you pay for new?

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Disgruntled Peccary
1,887 Posts
A number of companies are offering 0% financing on bikes, Giant is one.. So is Guerilla Gravity. It's through a third party lender, but it's common

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't like to put anything on a long term loan, even things like cars I tend to pay off as soon as possible. You are borrowing money from your future self. If your future self gets laid off or has an emergency, they won't appreciate you borrowing money from them.
That there is un'merican.
Live for today and pay for it tomorrow. Seems to work for our national deficit and climate right?
Spend you slaves, spend...

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,034 Posts
"Cash"- meaning: by credit card that I pay in full each month (never have carried a balance and never intend to under any circumstances).

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
I grabbed one of these the other day at a local tapshop that sells cans too and it was worth the money. Very good tasting beer though I wouldn't want to sit down and drink more than a can at a time but it is a nice treat, like most good treats it is more expensive than a 18 pack of Montucky or whatever but it is a treat, right?
I'm not a craft beer guy myself, but will visit the local shops after our rides.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Ok. So I put out a poll. It looks like a split between cash or card?

Given that bicycles are costing as much as a motorcycles now, I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging freight and setup fees.
A neighbor down the street suggests certain personal favors in lieu of cash, but I do not indulge in such indiscretions.

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Most lbs in my don't offer finance. Online big dealer offers finance

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 GG Smash
183 Posts
Cash as in directly from my back account to their hands using a debit card. I don't like having a CC that has a high enough limit to purchase an entire MTB on that's enough to get a man in trouble haha.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Debit card for everything except for those months when the Discover Card has a 5% cash back deal, then use it and pay it off. Don't finance anything that depreciates. When financing appreciating asset, compare projected appreciation of asset to projected appreciation of investing the cash minus interest over time and decide whether it's better to pay cash or finance.

If I can average 7% in the market, and only pay 2% interest on a loan, why wouldn't I make the loan and invest the cash?

·
OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
4,660 Posts
Debit card for everything except for those months when the Discover Card has a 5% cash back deal, then use it and pay it off. Don't finance anything that depreciates. When financing appreciating asset, compare projected appreciation of asset to projected appreciation of investing the cash minus interest over time and decide whether it's better to pay cash or finance.

If I can average 7% in the market, and only pay 2% interest on a loan, why wouldn't I make the loan and invest the cash?
Well since bikes are appreciating right now people may need to bring their math to the bike shop then.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

But if you can make 7% in the market and only pay 2%, then it still makes sense to finance a depreciating asset.
If you drop $50K on a car at once, that is a lot of opportunity missed. Of course you need to take advantage of the opportunities, but many don't

·
Registered
403 Posts

The things people tell themselves to buy things they can't afford...

101 - 113 of 113 Posts