Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you pay for new?

21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Look. I can bring up lots of interesting topics that I usually don't see here or has been discussed. I have used the search function and this has been brought up but you guys are too focused on trashing the new guy and whatever. I get it. Its a forum I need to lighten up.

You guys that dont have anything good to say just proved my point how MTB can be exclusive to certain clicks, groups, ethnicity and whatever. Thats another topic on a different day.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
5,095 Posts
I'd like to hear more about opportunities to deposit checks into my account and then forward most of the amount in cash to an untraceable location. I asked my buddy, who happens to be a Saudi prince and he likes the idea.

·
Registered
2021 Ibis Ripmo - 2016 Niner Air 9 Carbon
7 Posts
@vizcarmb this is a totally reasonable question, but because we read more posts than we write I guess that means we’re here to try and scam other members.

Mountain bikes cost more than a lot of people spend on a used car, so when purchasing my last bike I actually wondered if most LBS offer financing. I also remember the last time I bought a car I wasnt allowed to put more than $3k on a credit card.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since 1983 I've only purchased 2 Showroom floor bikes. '83 Schwinn High Sierra and a '86 Mountain Klien.
Got into the bike industry in 1989. Had many a Specialized Rocky Mntn and Proflex(😂). And a couple of Konas. The Red S was the best hardtail. Kona was the best FS.
I've gotten onto Pivot now. By far the best peddling platform I've ever ridden.
I was lucky in the old Daze to be in the ski and bike industry for 20 yrs off and on.
Today I buy either a new or used frame and build to my specs for fun.
It's great to promote the industry but the cost of new is Cost Prohibitive. You could buy a good used car for that price! As my bike is worth more than my work truck. But ya gotta have priorities. 4x4 truck that gets me there Offroad and an Offrode bike to complete the circle of life..I ride yearround in and near the Sierra Nevadas...Blessed

·
Thicc Member
1,161 Posts
Let's do the math....I buy a new $3k bike every 3 years.
But every day I come in and drink two of their craft beers. At $1.50/beer, that's $21/week, $1092/year, or $3276 every three years.
You could say that they pay me back in installments.

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
With bicycle prices being outrageous these days how do you pay for your bike?
I haven't bought a bike at a shop in a decade or more. I usually buy online with a credit card. If a bike shop wouldn't take a credit card and I wanted a specific bike really really badly I'd send them money via bank e-transfer. I'm not particularly worried about carrying thousands of dollars in cash in my pocket as I have never been mugged on a trip to a bike shop, but getting cash is a hassle vs. a using a VISA or an e-transfer.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Me personally, I would use a credit card but it seems to be frowned upon with big transactions.
Must be a (local?) California thing? I've never experienced that sentiment, and we travel all over the U.S. and abroad. Including California. But maybe I just never noticed. I get that businesses pay a transaction fee (3%?) for running credit cards. But I'm pretty sure it's not like a business loses 3%. I'm sure their markup accounts for that 3% (at least it should as apart of doing business), which means they actually make 3% more on cash transactions versus losing 3% on credit transactions. So, if my assumptions are correct, I'm not sure why a business would frown upon credit transactions. Just my perception.

As for your original question... We use a credit card for everything. Not because we're borrowing (the account has a zero balance at the end of each month), but because it protects us against fraud, makes returns a non issue, no risk of walking around with cash, etc. But most importantly, points and miles! I can't even tell you how many miles and points we accumulate running every transaction, every day throughout the year through the credit card.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm aware that OP posted this to start a conversation related to his business, but that said it's a valid question. In my shop we'll take anything for payment... and I'm surprised that more people don't pay in cash and ask for a discount. But you want to whip out a card for $20 in labor? Hey it's still more money than I had yesterday, I'll take it.
Look. I can bring up lots of interesting topics that I usually don't see here or has been discussed. I have used the search function and this has been brought up but you guys are too focused on trashing the new guy and whatever. I get it. Its a forum I need to lighten up.

You guys that dont have anything good to say just proved my point how MTB can be exclusive to certain clicks, groups, ethnicity and whatever. Thats another topic on a different day.
Just be upfront about what you're trying to do. Never seen exclusivity in MTBing and you're not going to make friends saying stuff like that.

Our shop offers payments plans through Synchrony, although friends get the 'hand me $200 cash every month' payment plan...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I pay for everything with my credit card for the airline miles. I save the money I need first and then swipe the card and pay it off immediately. I never carry a balance on the card. It took about 6 months to save money, sell a guitar and do some work on the side to have the money available to buy an Epic Evo this last September.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,654 Posts
Last few bikes I've fortunately been able to pay with cash. Specifically a personal check.

Off topic: What do you tip? For above and beyond service, I will typically give the bike mechanic good beer or a $25 gift card to a nearby restaurant. For the last few bike purchases, I've tipped my mechanic up to $100. Tips are definitely not expected. However, they are very appreciated.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I've probably bought a dozen new bikes in the last 5-6 years, every one with a card (charge or credit). If a shop frowned at me for using a credit card I'd find another shop STAT.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Last few bikes I've fortunately been able to pay with cash. Specifically a personal check.

Off topic: What do you tip? For above and beyond service, I will typically give the bike mechanic good beer or a $25 gift card to a nearby restaurant. For the last few bike purchases, I've tipped my mechanic up to $100. Tips are definitely not expected. However, they are very appreciated.
Tipping for repairs do you mean? I wouldn't tip for a new purchase of anything unless it took some extended level of effort for the shop to obtain it I guess.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,467 Posts
I don't post irrelevant crap to keep my post count up like this.
Who GAF about post count? Quite a few people (myself included, sometimes) come here to talk bikes, BS, and socialize (oftentimes all of the 3). Who makes you the arbiter of what's acceptable socialization?

Oh so sensitive. What YOU need to understand is that this forum has been a spam target for decades. Some of it is really sneaky and starts off very much like your first post. You can't fault people for not trusting that you're a real person when you don't have enough of a post history to demonstrate that you're a real person.

This place also gets someone every few months who shows up with an axe to grind, much like you appear to have done so here. They get put in their place pretty quickly. You can get over yourself, now.

As for how I pay, I might use all of the above, depending on what turns out to be advantageous for me. I only buy bikes and bike stuff when I have the cash for it. So I'm able to avoid interest no matter which option I use.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I’ve bought a few 6kish bikes with the trek credit card. Make sure the shop does the one year no interest and bam pay it off in a year. Credits card can be great if you use them right. Also used it for a set of 2500$wheels and a frame.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
With bicycle prices being outrageous these days how do you pay for your bike?

I don't care about your financial status, or if you get the bike shop hookup. I just want to know how you pay for your bike.

And for those that pay cash. Do you really show up with a wad of bills to pay?

Me personally, I would use a credit card but it seems to be frowned upon with big transactions. So I tend to mix it with cash and credit.

I would like feedback from bike shop owners also because you are the ones that are seeing the transactions happen. What are your thoughts?

Before you start bashing me, yes I can afford any freaking bike I want. I don't care who you are because I don't know you. This post is not about who is better than who because you can pay cash or not. That is not the objective I'm trying to get here.
Credit card. I've never had a bike shop care how I pay for a purchase.

These days, I get stranger looks when I use cash.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here's a more fun question: What's the most expensive thing you ever bought for CASH. I've bought a few used cars/trucks for $10-15K cash, but never more bills than I could stuff in my pockets. Somebody here must have done one of those scary briefcase-full-of-money deals like we see on TV.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts