Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How do you pay for new?

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With bicycle prices being outrageous these days how do you pay for your bike?

I don't care about your financial status, or if you get the bike shop hookup. I just want to know how you pay for your bike.

And for those that pay cash. Do you really show up with a wad of bills to pay?

Me personally, I would use a credit card but it seems to be frowned upon with big transactions. So I tend to mix it with cash and credit.

I would like feedback from bike shop owners also because you are the ones that are seeing the transactions happen. What are your thoughts?

Before you start bashing me, yes I can afford any freaking bike I want. I don't care who you are because I don't know you. This post is not about who is better than who because you can pay cash or not. That is not the objective I'm trying to get here.

·
No known cure
4,250 Posts
I've had more bikes than I can remember but only one was bought new from a shop and with a hand full of Franklins I'd saved. I've sent cashiers checks too for custom frames.

·
Registered
2021 Ibis Ripmo - 2016 Niner Air 9 Carbon
7 Posts
I’ve bought two new bikes over the past three years, and both times I paid with a credit card and paid it off quick enough to not pay any finance charges. The most recent bike required a deposit, so it was split up into payments 4 months apart.

If I had a shop I’d probably prefer cash because credit card merchant fees can be expensive. Hard to beat the convenience of using cards though.

·
Your bike sucks
2,192 Posts
I usually just take bikes they have in the front room of Specialized HQ. They have an unusual selection and you really need to make up your mind quickly.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've bought 4 new bikes (for myself and family members) over the last 6 years - credit card each time. I get 2-3% cash back so why not save a few hundred bucks. The only thing I use cash for anymore is Craigslist deals (or at least I did before COVID shut a lot of that down).

·
Registered
57 Posts
bought a used bike and used parts, as everything is quite expensive atm - paid in cash, and yes i used a wad of money bills to pay

and i installed the upgrade components and service the bike myself., so no money needed for these

·
No known cure
4,250 Posts
Not bike related, but every restaurant and mini mart charges a $2.00 fee to swipe a card and a 3% discount for cash. AMEX isn't accepted because of the high fees. It's always been this way and I'd rather hand over cash than waste my time dealing with having my card compromised. Gas is also 10 cents a gallon cheaper using cash which is important now that gas is currently up a buck to $4.29 (credit) for 87 octane since mid January. This is in the Socal Mountains.

·
Sneaker man
3,427 Posts
I barter... start with something simple like an old broken toaster, then just keep bartering till I get that sweet sweet bike...

More seriously, I can't really say I've used cash for anything much, apart from parking meters for like 10 years. Is all Visa/MC for eveything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes it is my first post. Doesn't mean I'm new to MTB. What makes you think I'm some newb. I don't post irrelevant crap to keep my post count up like this.

I do thank everyone that chimed in though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You got sucked in? I thought you had a modicum of good sense.
I live the in Bay Area. You will be definitely surprised
Who looks down on credit card purchases? Do you live in the middle of nowhere Louisiana or something?

I use my Southwest Airlines card for everything and then pay it off. Getting free flights off bike purchases is a little slice of heaven.
I live in the Bay Area. You'll be surprised. I'm used to the old school type shops compared to the newer type fresher ones

·
Registered
118 Posts
Unfortunately my LBS isn’t one of those that if I pay cash I save on the (over the top bankrupt you to death) Ca sales tax, so I pay with plastic and enjoy the 1.5% I get in return.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts