Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Dont look at inseam

I think most of the manufacturers have gotten away from inseam measurements as guides. The problem is that peoples torso lengths vary quite a bit and the top tube measurement is more important than inseam. To give you an example a rather short woman of say 504 might have a 30 inch inseam and a man of 6' might also have a 30 inch inseam. Using the 30 inch inseam you put both on an 18 inch bike and the woman is leaning way over while the guy has the seat jacked up and feels like he is going to go over the bars. The best thing is to go out and demo a couple of bikes and find a decent shop that will fit you. A really good shop will set you up on a bike and swap out stems and maybe even seat posts to get a decent fit and wont sell you a bike that doesnt fit right.

·
Registered
834 Posts
bwheelin said:
Is there a way to measure your inseam?
If you have a lycra bike shorts wear it. Get a marker/pen, a 1 to 2 inch book and a tape measure. Stand with your back on the wall, barefooted with feet 6-8 inches apart. Stick the book between your legs and ram it up to your crotch until it stops. Mark the wall where the top of the book meets your crotch. Measure. That will be your cycling inseam.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
older guy said:
If you have a lycra bike shorts wear it. Get a marker/pen, a 1 to 2 inch book and a tape measure. Stand with your back on the wall, barefooted with feet 6-8 inches apart. Stick the book between your legs and ram it up to your crotch until it stops. Mark the wall where the top of the book meets your crotch. Measure. That will be your cycling inseam.
Thanks. I thought I was around a 33, 33 1/2, and I tried the book between the crotch and measured a 34 1/2. I'll get a professional or good bike shop to do it like you said, but I wanted to have an idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.